Pat Dye

TigerOne

AU's field of dreams now Dye's

Friday, November 18, 2005

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - David Housel believes it was the spring of 1987, maybe 1988. Then the Auburn sports information director, he was riding around town with Pat Dye on a Sunday morning.

"You know what that day is going to be, don't you?" Dye said, glancing in his direction. "That day is going to be the most emotional day in Auburn history."

Housel was puzzled. "What day are you talking about?" Housel asked him. The Auburn football coach looked his way again.

"When they come," Dye said.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...2880.xml&coll=1

Thanks for posting this here. I read it this morning and I thougt......I wish all those who questioned naming the field after Coach Dye could read this. Some questioned what he had done for Auburn to deserve this honor. I think the article makes the case......at least for me.

I can hear the bammers booing now but this only makes the point that they know he smashed their butts in the ground and put a lot of crimson koolaid drinkers on the wagon. :cheer:

I also read that a very noticeable number of bama flags begin to appear on campus earlier this week. It seem that there are a number of closet bama fans who are currently Auburn students. I guess Strey has spread the word that they can get a real education at Auburn. :big:

I was at that game in 1989. I have been to a lot of events in my life. Nothing will ever top that. It was a very special day and every single person present knew it.

I bought an Alabama sweatshirt at that game they were selling that said "SEC Champions" and had Big Al sitting on a throne with all the helmets of the SEC teams they had beaten that year (including Auburn). They were so confident they would beat Auburn they had thousands of these shirts.

When the team ran out that day, it was the most amazing thing ever. It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!!!!

I also read that a very noticeable number of bama flags begin to appear on campus earlier this week. It seem that there are a number of closet bama fans who are currently Auburn students.

199349[/snapback]

Actually, there were a lot more early arriving Bama fans than usual this year. I got my hair cut at the barber shop on College St. yesterday and there were at least a dozen of them in their Bammer gear walking around saying "Ro Ti" to each other and so forth.

This whole subject makes me nauseous. "Pat Dye Field"--ugh.

He did a lot for us, but not enough to deserve this, especially the way he left.

I'm glad I read the article: it told me to avoid being inside the stadium "20 minutes before kickoff".

I was there in 1989 as well. It was the most emotional game I have ever been to and I was there for the 1993 season and all those games as well. The old timers in the stand were standing and yelling like they were students. There was a haze of blue and orange from the Old paper shakers. Every single person in the stands had two shakers a peice. The Bama fans were speechless with blank stares on their face. They never saw it coming.

This whole subject makes me nauseous.  "Pat Dye Field"--ugh.

He did a lot for us, but not enough to deserve this, especially the way he left.

I'm glad I read the article: it told be to avoid being inside the stadium "20 minutes before kickoff".

199376[/snapback]

How can you call yourself an Auburn fan and fail to appreciate what Dye meant (and continues to mean) to this program. Everything the football program is today, everything it will be tomorrow owes a trememdous debt to Patrick Fain Dye.

You're right. He did not deserve this. He deserves for his name to be added in 20-foot tall letters to the side of the stadium.

He deserves for every Auburn man, woman and child who love Auburn football to thank him personally and lower their eyes in respect for the man.

He deserves an ovation so loud that every redneck in Tuscaloosa runs to the door of their trailer afraid that a tornado is coming from the southeast -- because it did, and it permanently wrecked their world 23 years ago.

Because you claim to be an Auburn fan I will refrain from the many unkind things I could say to you at this point. I will only suggest that you spend a little time studying some Auburn history and a good deal of time on your knees praying that portions of it are never repeated. Maybe then, you'll appreciate one of the greatest of all Auburn legends.

You know, David was right when he said that many people will never realize what moving that game mean to Auburn and Auburn people.

Auburn had been forced for years to play their "home game" on an enemy field and in a hostile environment at Birmingham It was no secret that you had to beat Alabama AND the referees to win that game because the refs were so intimidated by Bryant. The ticket distribution was SUPPOSED to be equal too, but they rarely were. Big corporations in Birmingham bought up so many tickets and distributed to their Bama friends and some Auburn people felt the game was already lost by coming to Legion Field and sold theirs. It was a sad mess for Auburn....

Dye KNEW that we could never compete against them successfully until we played them on our own turf and in front of our own people. He was sooooooooooo right.

They lost their perinneal home field advantage (I never believed that Crap about LF being a Neutral site anyway and Keith Jackson once said: "Legion Field is about as Neutral as Germany during WWII') and they lost their ability to intimade the referees. The playing field was finally leveled! War Damn Eagle! :cheer::au:

Guest Tigrinum Major
The ticket distribution was SUPPOSED to be equal too, but they rarely were. Big corporations in Birmingham bought up so many tickets and distributed to their Bama friends and some Auburn people felt the game was already lost by coming to Legion Field and sold theirs. It was a sad mess for Auburn....

199385[/snapback]

One other thing to consider when you talk about ticket distribution at Legion Field. There is/was a group of investors who contributed money when the cesspool was originally built. These people are/were known as certificate holders and were allowed to purchase 4 tickets each to ANY event played at Legion Field. They are primarily Bama folks. Don't know how many there were, but the right was transferable.

Also, Birmingham city had blocks of tickets also.

It was never a 50-50 split.

Thanks for posting this here. I read it this morning and I thougt......I wish all those who questioned naming the field after Coach Dye could read this. Some questioned what he had done for Auburn to deserve this honor. I think the article makes the case......at least for me.

I can hear the bammers booing now but this only makes the point that they know he smashed their butts in the ground and put a lot of crimson koolaid drinkers on the wagon. :cheer:

I also read that a very noticeable number of bama flags begin to appear on campus earlier this week. It seem that there are a number of closet bama fans who are currently Auburn students. I guess Strey has spread the word that they can get a real education at Auburn. :big:

199349[/snapback]

Not all of us would boo Coach Dye. I have a great respect for him as a man and as a coach. To me he is one of the coaches that even though he wanted to beat another coach, he always showed respect to that coach. He loves Auburn, but I also think he loves the SEC. He wants other teams in the conference to do well. He wants Auburn to do better, but he still wants the other teams to look good.

I heard him on Finnbaum talking about this honor, and he is so proud, and it means so much to him. I think that is great to give someone such an honor while they are living. This way, they can truly know that they were loved and appreciated for what they had done for the school.

199349[/snapback]

Not all of us would boo Coach Dye. I have a great respect for him as a man and as a coach. To me he is one of the coaches that even though he wanted to beat another coach, he always showed respect to that coach. He loves Auburn, but I also think he loves the SEC. He wants other teams in the conference to do well. He wants Auburn to do better, but he still wants the other teams to look good.

I heard him on Finnbaum talking about this honor, and he is so proud, and it means so much to him. I think that is great to give someone such an honor while they are living. This way, they can truly know that they were loved and appreciated for what they had done for the school.

199396[/snapback]

Very classy post BMH! (I can't believe I just gave a compliment to a uat fan the day before the IB. I must be slipping.) :blink::au:

How can you call yourself an Auburn fan and fail to appreciate what Dye meant (and continues to mean) to this program. Everything the football program is today, everything it will be tomorrow owes a trememdous debt to Patrick Fain Dye.

Bro, you need to learn how to respect others opinions without getting personal and questioning their loyalty to :au: . Nothing wrong with respectfully disagreeing with somebody, but you are leaving the "respect" part out.

There are quite a few on this board that don't agree with the field being named after Coach Dye, but we have already had that debate several times and it is a point not worth debating anymore because it is a done deal. However, are you going to question their loyalty also just because you don't agree with them?

Bro, you need to learn how to respect others opinions without getting personal and questioning their loyalty to :au: . Nothing wrong with respectfully disagreeing with somebody, but you are leaving the "respect" part out.

There are quite a few on this board that don't agree with the field being named after Coach Dye, but we have already had that debate several times and it is a point not worth debating anymore because it is a done deal. However, are you going to question their loyalty also just because you don't agree with them?

199420[/snapback]

I question only their understanding. That's a totally different issue from loyalty. You can be a loyal Auburn fan and fail to understand the significance of certain events or people. I am a student of history. I don't understand how anyone who is acquainted with Auburn history can have contempt for Coach Dye.

I'm sorry you disagree and I'm sorry you see my responses as personal attacks.

Whether or not you like Pat Dye or not, you cannot overlook what he has done for AUBURN athletics and AUBURN University. You cannot overlook the FACT that Pat Dye is an AUBURN Man! He may not be perfect, but no one is. Whether or not you may not be able to forget and forgive, "the way he left.", in no way denigrates what Coach Pat Dye has done for AUBURN University & AUBURN people!

WAR EAGLE, COACH PAT DYE! WAR EAGLE! Thank you!

I'm glad I read the article: it told be to avoid being inside the stadium "20 minutes before kickoff".

199376[/snapback]

You're right. He did not deserve this. He deserves for his name to be added in 20-foot tall letters to the side of the stadium.

He deserves for every Auburn man, woman and child who love Auburn football to thank him personally and lower their eyes in respect for the man.

He deserves an ovation so loud that every redneck in Tuscaloosa runs to the door of their trailer afraid that a tornado is coming from the southeast -- because it did, and it permanently wrecked their world 23 years ago.

Because you claim to be an Auburn fan I will refrain from the many unkind things I could say to you at this point. I will only suggest that you spend a little time studying some Auburn history and a good deal of time on your knees praying that portions of it are never repeated. Maybe then, you'll appreciate one of the greatest of all Auburn legends.

199382[/snapback]

Well said!

I too was there in 1989.

I've been to many games, and been to many stadiums

From Husky Stadium, The Big House, The 'shoe, 'tween the Hedges, the Swamp....

Nothing compares to Dec 2, 1989 at Jordan-Hare.

Not even close.

But for those who feel to need to offer negative comments on that which has already been decided, you look petty. Auburn playing Alabama IN Auburn is a dream ( or nightmare) many never thought they'd see , and Pat Dye deserves a great deal of credit for making it come true. Try to remember that where ever you are, " 20 minutes before kickoff ".

War Damn Eagle

199376[/snapback]

199382[/snapback]

"A good deal of time on your knees praying that portions of it are never repeated" Someone needs to get a life. :rolleyes:

"A good deal of time on your knees praying that portions of it are never repeated"  Someone needs to get a life.  :rolleyes:

199489[/snapback]

Mr Kettle, is that you? I have a message for you from a Mr. Pot: "You're on an AU board and you're black." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And despite these articles reminding us of Dye's imprint on AU, more people, rather than fewer, will forget Dye's importance as the years go by.

I was @ the '89 game too and remember the Tiger Walk especially. Many of the AU players were so emotional during Tiger Walk, tears were streaming down many of their faces. Unbelievable, you had to be there I guess. I've been to many "big" games in many sports and I've never been so sure BEFORE the game that an underdog would win as the '89 AU-Bama game.

George Teague is a good entertainer, but he was on a sports show this week w/ his selective/partial Bama recollection, describing the '89 Bama team as having gone 10-1 with its "only loss" being to AU that year. He forgot to mention Bama ended the year w/ losses to AU and Miami (Bama only got to go to the '89 Sugar Bowl after losing to AU because @ that time the SEC, in the event of a tied SEC record, let the team that had NOT been to the Sugar Bowl the longest (AU had gone the previous year) go to the sugar bowl (LSU, AU and Bama all had 1 SEC loss that year). Bama was the lowest ranked of those three teams in the polls. Bama represented the SEC by losing to Miami...in a game not as close as the 8 point Miami win suggests. I guess George made AU sound even better w/ his partial history, however.

You youngsters need some perspective. Shug Jordan made Auburn what it is today. And he did it in the shadow of Bear Bryant. In Bear's day there were some REALLY great coaches at tennessee, Mississippi and LSU as well. REAL coaches.....Pat was a good coach, but couldn't wear Shugs shoes....

Granpa Simpson :homer:

Bama 69 :ua:

Auburn 77 :au:

I was there in 1989 as well. It was the most emotional game I have ever been to and I was there for the 1993 season and all those games as well.  The old timers in the stand were standing and yelling like they were students.  There was a haze of blue and orange from the Old paper shakers.  Every single person in the stands had two shakers a peice.  The Bama fans were speechless with blank stares on their face.  They never saw it coming.

199378[/snapback]

You youngsters need some perspective.  Shug Jordan made Auburn what it is today.  And he did it in the shadow of Bear Bryant.  In Bear's day there were some REALLY great coaches at tennessee, Mississippi and LSU as well. REAL coaches.....Pat was a good coach, but couldn't wear Shugs shoes....

Granpa Simpson :homer:

Bama 69 :ua:

Auburn 77 :au:

I was there in 1989 as well. It was the most emotional game I have ever been to and I was there for the 1993 season and all those games as well.  The old timers in the stand were standing and yelling like they were students.  There was a haze of blue and orange from the Old paper shakers.  Every single person in the stands had two shakers a peice.  The Bama fans were speechless with blank stares on their face.  They never saw it coming.

199378[/snapback]

199579[/snapback]

I was alive during the last half of Jordan's career. He was a great man and a good coach.

Pat Dye is more important to Auburn's current status than Jordan, however. I admire and respect them both immensely. Jordan kept Auburn a step behind Bryant, which may have been the best he could do given the circumstances. Had Dye been Auburn's coach during that span, I truly don't believe that Alabama would have enjoyed the dominance they did. We'll never know.

You can admire Jordan without denigrating Dye. Apparently that's an issue with some people. Respect for one does not diminish respect for the other. Both are important in Auburn history, but I believe Dye was more so.

Archived