2.4 million new jobs in 2004?

Donutboy

First, the good news. Nearly 2.4 million new jobs will be added to the U.S. economy next year, enough to make up for the net jobs lost over the past three.

Now for the bad news.

But many of them may be gone for good, lost to overseas facilities, outsourcing, automation or obsolescence.

It does bother me to see so many jobs going overseas. <_< But what can you do about so many being lost to technology or simply becoming obsolete? That just bites!

His insinuation is that NO jobs went overseas during Clinton's eight years.

I've never insinuated such and I don't really see where you got that assumption. There were over 11 million jobs created during the Clinton administration, compared to a loss of 3.6 million during this administration!! BTW, jobs WERE lost overseas during the past dministration and jobs will continue to be lost overseas during any subsequent administration.

Agreements such as NAFTA and FTAA are going far to globalize our economy in the wrong way. Instead of raising the world economies to our standards, we're lowering our standards to theirs. When a company can move to Mexico and pay a few dollars a day, no health care benefits and no EPA standards, it's not hard to see where our nation is heading.

White collar workers thought it to be a blue collar problem until the last few years when American corporations started shipping white collar jobs overseas.

The shortsighted corporations fail to answer the question of who's going to buy their products once the Wal-Martization of America is complete. No one will be able to afford them on minimum wage. The workers in Mexico can't. They're bused to work now because no one that works in manufacturing in Mexico can afford a vehicle.

This problem has nothing to do with tax cuts or tax increases. It's a matter of a nation that has thrived by paying it's workers a livable wage trying to mix with nations that use peasant labor. Ross Perot described it best when he said when NAFTA passed, that great sucking sound you hear will be jobs going across the border.

Archived