CFN Article - All - Time BCS

JB33

Nice props (to last year's team) from Pete Fiutak:

"Using teams only from the BCS era (1998 to Present), in the current conference alignment, what is your "all-time BCS"? In other words, what is the best team from each conference from the past 7 years and how would those teams best match up in bowls? - WP

A: My Rose Bowl (national championship) might really be 2005 USC vs. 2005 Texas. Don’t dismiss how unbelievably dominant this Texas team is, and USC is every bit as talented as 2001 Miami (which had some close calls of its own). I’d send 2001 Miami (ACC, if you’re sticking to the current conference alignment) to the Orange to face 1999 Florida State (at-large), and if you want to argue that this should be the Rose Bowl, you’ll get no complaints from me. The Fiesta Bowl would have 2000 Oklahoma (Big 12) vs. 2002 Ohio State (Big Ten), and the Sugar Bowl would be 2004 Auburn (SEC) vs. 2004 USC (at large). We’re going to do more on this in the off-season by ranking them all."

Basically, he's saying that last year's Auburn team was the best SEC team of the BCS era - i.e., better than UT's ('98) and LSU's ('03) national championship teams. (Note that he also paired them against '04 USC - oh, what might have been, but for the BCS . . . ) Pretty high praise.

Nice props (to last year's team) from Pete Fiutak:

"Using teams only from the BCS era (1998 to Present), in the current conference alignment, what is your "all-time BCS"? In other words, what is the best team from each conference from the past 7 years and how would those teams best match up in bowls?  - WP

A: My Rose Bowl (national championship) might really be 2005 USC vs. 2005 Texas. Don’t dismiss how unbelievably dominant this Texas team is, and USC is every bit as talented as 2001 Miami (which had some close calls of its own). I’d send 2001 Miami (ACC, if you’re sticking to the current conference alignment) to the Orange to face 1999 Florida State (at-large), and if you want to argue that this should be the Rose Bowl, you’ll get no complaints from me. The Fiesta Bowl would have 2000 Oklahoma (Big 12) vs. 2002 Ohio State (Big Ten), and the Sugar Bowl would be 2004 Auburn (SEC) vs. 2004 USC (at large). We’re going to do more on this in the off-season by ranking them all."

Basically, he's saying that last year's Auburn team was the best SEC team of the BCS era - i.e., better than UT's ('98) and LSU's ('03) national championship teams.  (Note that he also paired them against '04 USC - oh, what might have been, but for the BCS . . . )  Pretty high praise.

202464[/snapback]

That's pretty amazing considering his opinions in an email exchange last year after I questioned some of his logic.

Here is an excerpt:

You honestly think Joe Q. College Fan gives a flying fig about Auburn? USC and OU are the glam teams.

It's actually not just my opinion. There's a reason USC is a primetime national TV draw and Auburn isn't. BTW, most fans think the two best teams are playing in the Orange. As for the fan polls, you don't think that Auburn fans are the ones pounding those polls?

I didn't hear from him after the season.

Archived