USC & Texas championship games

Oysterman

get ridiculous? Remember the good ole days when coaches got blasted by the media for running up the scores on opponents? How come we have not heard anyhting bad about Pete Caroll or Mack Brown?

During the USC game, why was Leinart, Bush, and White still in in the 4th quarter with a 50+ point lead? Why was USC going for it on 4th &10, 4th & 8, etc. etc. etc. No matter how much they won by, they were still going to the Rose Bowl...

How about Texas hanging 70 on Colorado? How about Texas still running blitzes and knocking out the Colorado QB in the 4th with gigantic lead.....

In my opinion, the BCS has created these "win by slaughter" type games, to get "votes", that is totally BS.

Does anyone agree with this thinking?

Oh yeah, another New Years in Orlando, yippee :rolleyes:

I have to admit a number of those thoughts crossed my mind Saturday evening. I'll tell you another realization that I had....They did not cut away from the USC game until ALL the betting possibilities had been decided. I realized this cause I had the over for that game. :D

I went to the Big 12 championship game and in Texas' defense, Colorado could not stop them for anything. Texas put their second string QB in the third quarter and I believe put their third string QB in the fourth. Also, it seemed that all of about 10 Colorado fans showed up at the game to support their team.

From what I saw of the second half, it looked like Texas was just handing the ball off left and right. This was a mismatch from the coin toss. I have to admit that once it was painfully apparent that USC was manhandling the Bruins, I didn't go back to that game.

My take is that this was all about the Heisman. Once the issue was decided which was early in the 1st quarter both Mack Brown and Pete Carroll did their best to showcase Young, Bush and Leinhart to try and sway the voters.

Pretty lousy system. I've been on the blowout end of things in the past and later on when the tables were turned it was truly sweet revenge to return the favor.....maybe CU and UCLA will get a chance in the not too distant future....along with about 3/4 of the opponents of UT and USC. What goes around truly comes around.

I didn't think it was a big deal for the scores to be run up like that. Yeah, it was probably to showcase Vince Young and Reggie Bush for the Heisman (Matt Leinart's performance wasn't that great - he kept overthrowing receivers). There was zero risk of not going to the Rose Bowl by winning by a small margin (unlike what happened to Cal last season when they got bumped out of the BCS by Texas). But, these were big games. The Big 12 Championship for Texas and against their in-city rival for USC. I wish we did the same to Bama, instead of going conservative after the first quarter; and to Va. Tech in the Sugar Bowl last season. At least Texas did put in their 2nd and 3rd stringers in 3Q. USC may have done it very late in the 4Q.

Imagine how many points Texas would have scored if Iowa State had played in that game....

203561[/snapback]

Iowa State wouldn't have done any worse, believe me. They beat CU straight up, but lost 3 OT games this year.

Colorado has been outscored 141-13 in their last three appearances in the Big XII title game...it's a shame ISU didn't have a FG kicker.

Yes, the games were awful...I barely watched either of them. Army-Navy was more compelling than those two vivisections.

Archived