TOP 3 RBS of All Time

SCWarEagle

Two Lamecock friends and I were talking about this yesterday. They asked me who were the 3 best RBS in the history of the SEC. Bo and Herschel are easy picks, of course.

But who comes in 3rd? I found if to be very difficult to come up with one more guy who even belonged anywhere near the same league with those 2. However, maybe I am stupid, and an obvious answer is eluding me. Anyone want to vote for Emmit?

Thoughts and ideas?

War Damn Eagle! :au:

George Rogers was the Lamecock stud from that era and I believe had a pretty classic matchup with Hershel one Saturday. But, the obvious problem there is SC was not a part of the SEC then.

Honestly, in the modern era, there are few if any you could compare to Bo and Hershel. They kind of stand alone. Emmit was a bad boy while at Florida and you have to look no further than the Plains to find several backs that rival any that are on that second tier after the big 2. Fullwood, Brooks, Cribbs, Davis, Williams, Rudi(for a year) etc.

George Rogers was the Lamecock stud from that era and I believe had a pretty classic matchup with Hershel one Saturday.  But, the obvious problem there is SC was not a part of the SEC then.

Honestly, in the modern era, there are few if any you could compare to Bo and Hershel.  They kind of stand alone.  Emmit was a bad boy while at Florida and you have to look no further than the Plains to find several backs that rival any that are on that second tier after the big 2.  Fullwood, Brooks, Cribbs, Davis, Williams, Rudi(for a year) etc.

203609[/snapback]

I was at that game in Athens in 1980. I was 10. I remember the drunk dawg fans passing each other liquor bottles, and I remember Big George fumbling away the chance to win that game.

Bo Jackson

Hershel Walker

Emmit Smith

There have been many very good running backs in the SEC, but in my mind those three stand out.

Last week on the Finebaum show, I heard Pat Dye say that Darren McFadden (ARK freshman RB) would be the best running back to come thru the SEC since Bo Jackson. That is pretty high praise for McFadden, I would say that Pat Dye knows something about running backs.

Emmit Smith doesn't belong anywhere in the top 25 of running backs in SEC history. To name one that should be third behind the obvious two mentioned is difficult, but it isn't difficult to see that Emmit doesn't belong. At the time Florida's three biggest games of the year were Auburn, Georgia, and FSU. Emmit in the three years he played at UF didn't crack the 100 barrier but ONCE in those 9 games and that was against FSU, and his UF team LOST all NINE of those games... Big games were not Emmits strong suit in college. I feel picking him may be a result of what he did in the NFL....which will be broken soon enough I'm sure...

Shaun Alexander is up there. He's no Bo or Herschel, but he's up there. Deuce McAlister did amazingly well considering his (un)supporting cast, wouldn't consider him top three though. Jamal Lewis, Bobby Humphrey, and the obligatory handful of Auburn backs not named Bo. There's definately a huge gap between Bo and Herschel and who ever you want to say is number 3. I'd go with Alexander at number three though, just b/c I believe aupcola, I mean you never even hear Florida fans talk about Emmit that much, and I think his lack of performance in big games is probabaly why.

My 3:

Bo Jackson (1985)

Herschel Walker (1982)

Billy Cannon (1959)

All Heisman trophy winners from an SEC school, add George Rogers (1980) for current SEC schools but South Carolina not part of SEC back then. The Heisman ain't what it used to be but all 3 led their team to great achievements the year they won it.

1) Bo and Herschel

2) Bo and Herschel

3) Bo and Herschel

:au::homer:

Shaun Alexander is up there.  He's no Bo or Herschel, but he's up there.  Deuce McAlister did amazingly well considering his (un)supporting cast, wouldn't consider him top three though.  Jamal Lewis, Bobby Humphrey, and the obligatory handful of Auburn backs not named Bo.  There's definately a huge gap between Bo and Herschel and who ever you want to say is number 3.  I'd go with Alexander at number three though, just b/c I believe aupcola, I mean you never even hear Florida fans talk about Emmit that much, and I think his lack of performance in big games is probabaly why.

203633[/snapback]

I could not disagree more. We're talking about college, not what a player did after turning pro.

Shaun Alexander's not in the top three of Alabama backs all-time, much less top three SEC. Bobby Humphrey, Johnny Musso, Johnny Davis, Harry Gilmer all probably would be considered better college backs than Alexander.

Some of you also seem to be forgetting that football was played prior to 1980. Alexander from LSU, Curtis Kuykendall ('44), Brooks and Cribbs from Auburn there's a list a mile long that stand head, shoulders and cleats above Alexander.

Shaun Alexander is up there.  He's no Bo or Herschel, but he's up there.  Deuce McAlister did amazingly well considering his (un)supporting cast, wouldn't consider him top three though.  Jamal Lewis, Bobby Humphrey, and the obligatory handful of Auburn backs not named Bo.  There's definately a huge gap between Bo and Herschel and who ever you want to say is number 3.  I'd go with Alexander at number three though, just b/c I believe aupcola, I mean you never even hear Florida fans talk about Emmit that much, and I think his lack of performance in big games is probabaly why.

203633[/snapback]

I could not disagree more. We're talking about college, not what a player did after turning pro.

Shaun Alexander's not in the top three of Alabama backs all-time, much less top three SEC. Bobby Humphrey, Johnny Musso, Johnny Davis, Harry Gilmer all probably would be considered better college backs than Alexander.

Some of you also seem to be forgetting that football was played prior to 1980. Alexander from LSU, Curtis Kuykendall ('44), Brooks and Cribbs from Auburn there's a list a mile long that stand head, shoulders and cleats above Alexander.

203679[/snapback]

i have to disagree with you on this one (BIG suprise :big: ) and agree with Wade. Call it bias, call it homerism, call it koolaid, whatever. I think Shaun because he led the team for the years he was there. You can't deny what he has done since, but he also had a great career at UA. Granted, Musso, Davis, Humphreys were prob all better backs, but they played on teams that were already great. Shaun played on a team that was on probation, shorthanded, and hurting, but still produced great numbers and he single-handedly won many a ballgame for us.

Anyways, my .02...

Archived