What our depth chart could look like in '06

TigerfanKM

OK, just for fun, I wanted to take a peek at what our depth chart might look like for 2006. There is no way for some positions to know who the starters will be. I did this mainly to get a good idea of the type of players we will have at each position. We have some great players we signed in the last two years who haven't played a lot that will get their shot in '06. I have also included all verbal committments for this year's class, of course it could change. But, I really believe we will win the SEC again next year and make a serious run at the NC. Turbeville not only is a hell of a coach., the man and his staff shore do know how to recruit. After checking out the list, my main concern is at the WR position. I was also worried about LBs, but after I sqw all the quality we have coming back, I think we will be fine. If Cox and the new WRs can gel next year, we are gonna be scary good!! Comments?

AUBURN TIGERS DEPTH CHART FOR 2006

Including committs from '05 and so far in '06

OFFENSE Class/Stars

QB

Brandon Cox JR

Calvin Booker SO

Blake Field SO

Neil Caudle 4 STARS

Steve Ensminger 2 Stars ??

RB

Kenny Irons SR

Tre Smith SR

Carl Stewart JR

Brad Lester SO

Benjamin Tate 4 STARS

FB

Mike McLaughlin SO

Andrew Turman JR

WR

Courtney Taylor SR

Lee Guess SR

Maurice Anderson JR

James Swinton SO

Jamoga Ramsey SR

Montez Billings 4 STARS

Prechae Rodriguez SR

Mario Fannin (ATH) 4 STARS

Chris Slaughter 4 STARS

Terrell Zachery 4 STARS

TE

Cole Bennett SR

Charles Mullen SO

Danny Perry JR

Tommy Trott 4 STARS

OL

King Dunlap JR

Ben Grubbs SR

Jonathan Palmer SR

Joe Cope SR

Tim Duckworth SR

Leon Hart JR

Antwoin Daniels SO

Mike Harness 4 STARS

Lee Tilley 4 STARS

DEFENSE Class/Stars

DL

Stanley McClover SR

Marquies Gunn SR

Quentin Groves JR

Josh Thompson JR

Octavius Balkcom SO

Tez Doolittle JR

Neil Brown JR

Chris Browder SR

Pat Sims 4 STARS

Gabe McKenzie 4 STARS

Greg Smith (JR) 5 STARS

Kareem Crowell 4 STARS

Bart Eddins 4 STARS

LB

Kevin Sears SR

Karibi DeDe SR

Kevis Burnam SR

Chris Evans SO

LaMarcus Rowell 4 STARS

Tray Blackmon 5 STARS

Alonzo Horton 4 STARS

Rex Sharpe 4 STARS

Raven Gray 4 STARS

Secondary

David Irons?? SR +1 yr?

Eric Brock JR

Steve Gandy SO

Will Herring SR

Tony Bell JR

Montavis Pitts SR

Jonathan Wilhite JR

Tristan Davis (RB?) SO

Special Teams

K

John Vaughn SR

P

Kody Bliss SR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a question about Lee Guess...I see him as a potentially great possession receiver, you know, 3rd and 5 and he catches the 6 yard hook. I can't remember the kids name, but I'm thinking of a white receiver we had maybe six or seven years ago...a little kid that was deadly on possession routes. Anyone remember who I'm talking about, or see the same thing as me in Guess?

:nanner::au::nanner:

Tigerfan, you need to take a closer look at the roster and depth chart on Auburtigers.com. You've listed some who are no longer with the team and overlooked some who are high on the DC.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I've got a question about Lee Guess...I see him as a potentially great possession receiver, you know, 3rd and 5 and he catches the 6 yard hook.  I can't remember the kids name, but I'm thinking of a white receiver we had maybe six or seven years ago...a little kid that was deadly on possession routes.  Anyone remember who I'm talking about, or see the same thing as me in Guess?

:nanner:   :au:   :nanner:

204915[/snapback]

Hicks Poor?

Freddie Weygand is a name like that from way back. But he was a constant threat to go the distance also.

I've got a question about Lee Guess...I see him as a potentially great possession receiver, you know, 3rd and 5 and he catches the 6 yard hook.  I can't remember the kids name, but I'm thinking of a white receiver we had maybe six or seven years ago...a little kid that was deadly on possession routes.  Anyone remember who I'm talking about, or see the same thing as me in Guess?

:nanner:   :au:   :nanner:

204915[/snapback]

Trey, did you ever see Lee on kick-off returns. For some reason, Eddie "the special teams genius" Gran, had him on the front line of Kick off return, all 175lbs of him! He would get worked about every kickoff. It was actually kind of funny. Just because it was Lee. Gran's an idiot. Best hands on the team, weighs a buck eighty soakin wet and you're gonna put 'em head to head with a wedge buster! You're right, though. He's not big, he's not flashy, but you and I both know he'll catch the ball. $$$$ on 3rd down.

OK, here are my replies: Crashman, I stated the list was not in any order. Just listing the people available. AuTrey- I think you might mean Shane Wasden. Small possesion receiver type. Last, True Blue- who is no longer with the team. Other than David Irons who may get another year due to medical issues, clue me in.....

OK, here are my replies: Crashman, I stated the list was not in any order. Just listing the people available. AuTrey- I think you might mean Shane Wasden. Small possesion receiver type. Last, True Blue- who is no longer with the team.  Other than David Irons who may get another year due to medical issues, clue me in.....

204920[/snapback]

rowell

Rowell is no longer with the team.

Rex Sharpe is at a community college in kansas trying to get his grades up. not sure what the latest on him is.

Mike Harness is at Hargrave Military Academy trying to get his grades up as well.

Anybody know when these two could possibly make their way to Auburn...and if we plan on re-signing them?

Kevis Burnham is no longer listed on the roster; I believe he gave up football due to injuries.

Raven Gray is a DE, not a LB and is reported to be a "sign and place" anyway

Oscar Gonzales is a big freshman OT who will get significant PT next year

Merrill Johnson is listed as a 2nd team OLB on the most recent depth chart

Prechae Rodriguez will be a junior next year

It is widely reported that Michael Harness will not be signed by AU out of JC

It is also widely reported that Tre Smith will not be back, but will go on to Med school

those are just the ones I noticed as I ran through the list

We have some important holes to fill in a lot of areas next year, particulary on both sides of the line as well as WR & LB.

McNeil graduates as well as Reddick. Big losses on the O line. Their backups need to step as well as finding 2nd stringers to back fill as well. Joe Cope will be the lone returner at Center as Ross graduates. Super key we starting building depth at that position in case of injuries & for the future.

I hope Field & Booker show marked improvement during the off season in the QB department as AU is only 1 play away from a injury to Cox & then literally we are screwed. At least this year we would have been screwed with an injury to Cox. So work hard in the off season boys. Learn that offense!

You guys are dreaming if you think Lee Guess is the answer at one of the open WR slots. Thankfully Taylor returns for another year & Rodriguez started stepping up this year. Those 2 will anchor the WR corps while hopefully the younglings & new signees learn & grow. Guess reminds me of Tre Smith. Works hard but doesn't have the talent to compete at the SEC level.

Big holes to fill on the D line with Jackson & Dickens graduating. Need to build depth in that area as well.

Linebackers are a wild card. We have a ton of young linebacker talent. Some of it has to step up next year as williams & williams graduate.

It's super critical AU continues to clean house on recruiting lineman this February. We need them on both sides of the ball.

Once again we will be loaded with talent, just a matter of maturity & grow in the areas that will experience the most turnover- O line, D line, Linebackers, & WRs. Secondary, backfield look solid with little to no turnover.

Tre #2 on the depth chart? He wasn't even #3 on the depth chart until Carl went down. That rb depth chart is: Irons, Lester, Stewart, Tre, Tate

If Tre sticks around next year he won't be any higher than 4th on the depth chart at RB. He will see spot duty on blowout games & return kicks again, although I suspect the coaching staff is ready to give some other guys a chance that have game breaking speed & moves, like Robert Dunn.

Irons-#1A

Lester-#1B

Stewart-#3

Smith-#4

Then you have Ben Tate & Mario Fannin coming in. Tate is enrolling in Jan. for spring practice. Not sure if Fannin will stay at RB.

You also have the possibility of Tristan Davis in the RB mix although I suspect he will stay on Defense.

Also, the coaches are finished recruting RB's this year except for Cordera Eason out of MS which is another stud.

DEFENSE Class/Stars

DL

Stanley McClover SR

Marquies Gunn SR

Quentin Groves JR

Josh Thompson JR

Octavius Balkcom SO

Tez Doolittle JR

Neil Brown JR

Chris Browder SR

Pat Sims 4 STARS

Gabe McKenzie 4 STARS

Greg Smith (JR) 5 STARS

Kareem Crowell 4 STARS

Bart Eddins 4 STARS

204913[/snapback]

Is there something I don't know about DT Sen'Derrick Marks?

From what I remember, this guy was supposed to be a monster in pre-season practice. He's still on the team, right?

TE

Cole Bennett SR

Charles Mullen SO

Danny Perry JR

Tommy Trott 4 STARS

I've heard from someone who has been to many practice sessions this year that TE Tommy Trott is going to be one heck of a player.

Tre #2 on the depth chart?  He wasn't even #3 on the depth chart until Carl went down.  That rb depth chart is: Irons, Lester, Stewart, Tre, Tate

204929[/snapback]

Seems like he said that it wasn't in order.

yeah, he did.

what would it look like in order? ah, heck it's 3 am and i'm still awake. might as well take a stab at it. this is based on what we know, what i've seen at games/practice, and what i've heard from folks who see the team pracitce.

QB

Cox, Field, Booker, Caudle

RB

Irons, Lester (both are going to get carries), Stewart, Tate (tre's probably gone... and war eagle to him. he has played his heart out here)

TE

Bennett, Trott (i've heard the stories of his play too), McKenzie, Mullen, Perry (still don't know where gabe will end up)

WR

Taylor, Rodriguez, Dunn, Rodgeriqus Smith (looked solid in games and has some size), Billings, Guess/Swinton (the frosh coming in could get pt here, but i think the guys we have are going to take the chance to show their stuff. dunn's going to be a stud in the slot)

OT

Dunlap (lt), Hart (rt), Gonzales (people are raving about this kid), Daniels (i'm less worried about these guys. hart looked great in his start, and he'll be on cox's blindside. both guys have starting experience)

OG

Grubbs (lg), Duckworth (rg), Palmer (primary backup if we get a long-term injury), Green (we've had success at turning defensive players into offensive linemen), Bosley (the starters are the best pair in the conference)

C

Palmer, Cope (i think palmer wins this battle, but cope is tough)

DT

Smith (you don't sign juco players to not play... he's going to be prominent even if he doesn't start), Marks (i heard he was up to 280), McCain

NG

Thompson, Doolittle, Sims (i like the guys we have at tackle/nose guard... we have size and some experience. i think this unit will take some time but could be really good at year end)

DE

McClover, Gunn, Groves, Browder, Balkcom, Brown (i hear we're looking for a little more beef which means brown could be a bigger factor)

OLB

Sears (strong), Johnson (weak), Harden, Blackmon

MLB

Dede (i honestly think he's going to be the guy to replace travis b/c he knows the defense from a lot of positions), Evans

CB

Irons (i think he comes back), Wilhite, Pitts (who will also be the nickel i think), Lee, Ferguson, Campbell, Gilbert, Savage/Powers/McFadden (one or more of those guys is going to find the field... lots of depth and irons/wilhite looked great at season's end)

S

Herring (strong), Gandy (free), Brock, Bell, Davis, Trahan, Fannin (will's really good, and the other guys have a ton of talent and played more disciplined at the end of the year... patrick may not end up here. i expect mario to get moved here)

to say the least, i like our roster. i think we're getting to point where a fair amount of our backups could legitimately start or see significant pt for top 25 teams.

OK, here are my replies: Crashman, I stated the list was not in any order. Just listing the people available. AuTrey- I think you might mean Shane Wasden. Small possesion receiver type. Last, True Blue- who is no longer with the team.  Other than David Irons who may get another year due to medical issues, clue me in.....

204920[/snapback]

my bad

yeah, he did.

what would it look like in order? ah, heck it's 3 am and i'm still awake. might as well take a stab at it. this is based on what we know, what i've seen at games/practice, and what i've heard from folks who see the team pracitce.

QB

Cox, Field, Booker, Caudle

RB

Irons, Lester (both are going to get carries), Stewart, Tate (tre's probably gone... and war eagle to him. he has played his heart out here)

TE

Bennett, Trott (i've heard the stories of his play too), McKenzie, Mullen, Perry (still don't know where gabe will end up)

WR

Taylor, Rodriguez, Dunn, Rodgeriqus Smith (looked solid in games and has some size), Billings, Guess/Swinton (the frosh coming in could get pt here, but i think the guys we have are going to take the chance to show their stuff. dunn's going to be a stud in the slot)

OT

Dunlap (lt), Hart (rt), Gonzales (people are raving about this kid), Daniels (i'm less worried about these guys. hart looked great in his start, and he'll be on cox's blindside. both guys have starting experience)

OG

Grubbs (lg), Duckworth (rg), Palmer (primary backup if we get a long-term injury), Green (we've had success at turning defensive players into offensive linemen), Bosley (the starters are the best pair in the conference)

C

Palmer, Cope (i think palmer wins this battle, but cope is tough)

DT

Smith (you don't sign juco players to not play... he's going to be prominent even if he doesn't start), Marks (i heard he was up to 280), McCain

NG

Thompson, Doolittle, Sims (i like the guys we have at tackle/nose guard... we have size and some experience. i think this unit will take some time but could be really good at year end)

DE

McClover, Gunn, Groves, Browder, Balkcom, Brown (i hear we're looking for a little more beef which means brown could be a bigger factor)

OLB

Sears (strong), Johnson (weak), Harden, Blackmon

MLB

Dede (i honestly think he's going to be the guy to replace travis b/c he knows the defense from a lot of positions), Evans

CB

Irons (i think he comes back), Wilhite, Pitts (who will also be the nickel i think), Lee, Ferguson, Campbell, Gilbert, Savage/Powers/McFadden (one or more of those guys is going to find the field... lots of depth and irons/wilhite looked great at season's end)

S

Herring (strong), Gandy (free), Brock, Bell, Davis, Trahan, Fannin (will's really good, and the other guys have a ton of talent and played more disciplined at the end of the year... patrick may not end up here. i expect mario to get moved here)

to say the least, i like our roster. i think we're getting to point where a fair amount of our backups could legitimately start or see significant pt for top 25 teams.

204946[/snapback]

You dont think Tray Blackmon fights for a starting job at LB?

Is there something I don't know about DT Sen'Derrick Marks?

From what I remember, this guy was supposed to be a monster in pre-season practice. He's still on the team, right?

204933[/snapback]

He was injured and I believe will end up with a Medical Redshirt for this year with a chance to put on some more weight. The DL will be just fine next year IMO, though the LB spots may need a little work early on next season.

Josh Thompson has been very underrated and had a high ankle sprain for the first half of the year, and Marks should be at least in the mix to start next year as well. Greg Smith looks to be an animal who if he can get the scheme down, should be in the 2 deep at worst. Then you have Doolittle and possibly Pat Sims back on the team to round off a very good but inexperienced 3 deep plus one.

I am a little concerned that they are not pursuing any LB's, but I am also confident that they know more about what they are doing than I do.

:cheer::au:

Kevis Burnham is no longer listed on the roster; I believe he gave up football due to injuries.

Raven Gray is a DE, not a LB and is reported to be a "sign and place" anyway

Oscar Gonzales is a big freshman OT who will get significant PT next year

Merrill Johnson is listed as a 2nd team OLB on the most recent depth chart

Prechae Rodriguez will be a junior next year

It is widely reported that Michael Harness will not be signed by AU out of JC

It is also widely reported that Tre Smith will not be back, but will go on to Med school

those are just the ones I noticed as I ran through the list

204923[/snapback]

i doubt if tre smith goes to medical school considering he is a business student

i d

Hey guys...if Tate doesn't redshirt (which he might) he won't be last in the DC...He's already enrolled for Spring and will be here for all of spring practice and he's a beast...

Caudle will prolly jump Fields.

And Blackmon will start. I've heard that he's cracking major heads on scout team and itching to play with the big boys.

IMHO :D

I honestly don't think Caudle will appear on the DC next year, but only because of his knee injury. As for Tate, I hope he does come in and make a splash, it can only make the others better as well.

I too believe that Blackmon will make an impact next year as a Redshirt Freshman. I can only assume that he has put on a little weight and hopefully is in the process of learning the defense.

Does anyone know why the coaches have not put Sears at MLB? It seems that he would be the perfect size, and if he has enough talent and speed to start at times on the outside he would be a natural in the middle next year.

Archived