What our depth chart could look like in '06

TigerfanKM

I think we will probably have as much talent next year as in 2004 from top to bottom. I agree with most that Tray Blackmon will get a lot of PT at LB and on special teams. I also look for Tommy Trott to make an impact at TE. We'll have a good group in Bennet, Perry, and Trott. I also see two or three of this years DL class getting ssome PT.....Smith and Eddins for sure. I think defensively we will see a lot of guys playing DL and LB next year. It will be a very good rotation in the front 7. Even though we are losing 3 big time WRs I still feel we will be very talented at this position...will returners in Taylor and Rodriguez, add in Dunn, and Smith, maybe even Guess and the UT transfer, don't remember his name. I hope with the experience of those returnign that were playing in 2003 can help with the hype as we should be coming in to next season in the top 8 in pre-season polls. Lots of hype, not as bad at Texas, since they have like 16 or 18 returning starters :blink: , or Penn State, or USC, but in the south we will be very good!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

blackmon will challenge for a starting spot, but merrill johnson's no chump. i really made the list assuming most of the guys that are ahead would stay ahead. the only reason i left him off the list of starters is b/c he's never played before and i can only think of a couple handfuls of frosh or redshirt frosh that have started for tubby (ronnie did it, cadillac, troy reddick, big marcus, jason, demarco mcneil, carlos, ben, devin...) anyway, the list of guys is pretty impressive. if he does it, he's a man.

i've always thought kevin should be moved in, but then i asked a former coach about it. he said you want a big guy on strongside because he's got to play like an extra defensive end most often. he'll have to take on the tightend/fullback and still be able to sit down and make the tackle. so kevin fits that mold. i think dede starts in the middle.

i'd be shocked if caudle isn't redshirted next year. and tate's going to have to learn quick and show out if he's getting above carl stewart b/c tubby believes in playing upperclassmen.

the receiving corps is what scares me a little. Taylor still hasn't proven himself as a #1 (I know for sure he WILL though), and I think of our commits, Slaughter will be the only one to play right away. Rose is SCRAWNY (so was Billings, not sure if he is now) and Zachery probably won't adjust to such a high competition level that quickly after playing at Wadley.

that is all, of course, unless we sign Hawthorne, who I see playing early along with Slaughter who is a physical beast for a high school receiver. he's 170 and I know that is actually less than Rose, but he's built much more stouter and thicker. all of that leaves us pretty unproven.

C. Taylor, SR

P. Rodriguez, JR

R. Dunn, SO

C. Slaughter, FR

M. Billings, FR

L. Guess, JR (right?)

R. Smith, SO

J. Swinton, JR (if he stays)

J. Ramsey, JR or SR (I forget)

the receiving corps is what scares me a little. Taylor still hasn't proven himself as a #1 (I know for sure he WILL though), and I think of our commits, Slaughter will be the only one to play right away. Rose is SCRAWNY (so was Billings, not sure if he is now) and Zachery probably won't adjust to such a high competition level that quickly after playing at Wadley.

that is all, of course, unless we sign Hawthorne, who I see playing early along with Slaughter who is a physical beast for a high school receiver. he's 170 and I know that is actually less than Rose, but he's built much more stouter and thicker. all of that leaves us pretty unproven.

C. Taylor, SR

P. Rodriguez, JR

R. Dunn, SO

C. Slaughter, FR

M. Billings, FR

L. Guess, JR (right?)

R. Smith, SO

J. Swinton, JR (if he stays)

J. Ramsey, JR or SR (I forget)

205046[/snapback]

I will kindly disagree. Last season was the number one guy and was our best WR. He was injured early on this year and that impacted his place in the offense. The truth is that there isn't a hairs difference between Devon, Ben, and Courteny. Tons of potential but slightly inconsistent (by the way Ben and Devon will go much higher in the draft that predicted right now because of their Combine numbers!). Of course Taylor will have what no one has right now on our team, three years with Borgy Ball.

Rodriuez was a hair away from being our best WR this year at times. He is an awesome WR.

That is two guys with tons of upside and plenty of experience. Behind them are plenty of guys who either are young with tons of potential or experienced quality role players (such as Guess who is a superb 3rd Down guy, great hands, smart, just not the athlete the others are).

I guess I am more worried about our OL and our LBs than anything else. And, since we have never had a problem at LB since TT has been here (remember beating UF with third stringers) I guess that leaves me most concerned with replacing McNeil and Reddick. McNeil was a beast. I think he is the best OL to ever play at AU. One great lineman can really make the entrie line look good. any chance Alex Gibbs (David's Dad and the greatest OL coach in the history of the NFL) comes back to town and teaches our OL his zone scheme methods?

One, I take it your unnamed player was Courtney Taylor. Taylor is the best talent we have at receiver, in my opinion. Better than Mix, Aromashoudu or Obomanu--and that's saying a lot. It's too bad he was hampered all season. I'm selfish enough to see an up side: he might have left early if he had had the kind of year he's capable of.

No question we will miss Devin, Ben and Anthony--a lot--but I have confidence in our staff and they will work with what they've got. Taylor and Prechae aren't exactly handicaps.

Please do not discount Terrell Zachery because of playing for a small town team. If you remember, Taylor was also from a small high school. Courtney took a redshirt season mostly because he was learning the WR position and played very well in his first year for Hugh Nall. Zachery was born a playmaker; CTT loves to play these types early especially on special teams.

i really like some of the backup receivers that i've seen. ct and pre are studs. that's just the truth. courtney is a poor man's terrell owens without the attitude, and pre is a carbon copy of devin: rangy, fast, and good hops. most of his plays come downfield. the thing this group needs is someone to help ct move chains. i don't think lee's going to be the guy. i think he's closer to justin fetsko than hicks poor.

i have a question for whoever. do you think we're really going to play more two tightend sets next year and less 3/4 wide? it just seems to me that if bennett and trott and mckenzie, et al. are all they're supposed to be then we would get them the ball more. and a tightend that controls the underneath middle and moves the chains is just the kind of player that could complete this passing game.

also, i wouldn't be surprised to see the backs more involved in the passing game. mclaughlin played tailback in high school so he's probably better with the ball than jake was (jake wasn't bad; he was just more comfortable blocking), and lester is a highlight reel in waiting when he's in open space.

regardless of what we do, it's going to be so much fun watching this offense come together next season. there are a lot of weapons, and i'm a big fan of the seniors that we'll have leading this group (grubbs, duck, palmer, cope, irons, taylor... another great group of seniors)

Pertaining to receivers ... a sportscaster I work with now worked in Augusta before moving here to Charleston said he saw regularly saw Robert Dunn play in high school. He said Dunn has absolutely unreal talent. Now, given that this kid had gotten into some trouble and was still given a chance by the coaches must mean he really is something special.

I know we haven't seen much of him, but I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Honestly the only position i'm concerned about is fullback, I expect us to be more in the 2 WR/2 TE/ Rb/Qb/5 OL set or the 2 WR/TE/2 RB/QB/5 OL set this year just looking at our talent. Wouldn't be suprised if we tried to use the running backs more as receivers this year along with the tight ends. This team has the potential to be as good as the 04 team I think, main thing that needs to happen though is for Brandon Cox to develop his arm strength some more to throw the deep ball like Campbell was able to.

On defence, the D Line looks outright scary. The linebackers should be good and the secondary should be improved as well.

Special teams- senior punter and a senior kicker, if we could find a good returner then i think we will improve here this year.

SC, that is some of the same things I read about Dunn....I think there is a good chance we see him on kickoff and punt return next year. FCM, I think we see a lot more variations on CAB's offense next year. We all noticed how he opened up the offense last year and this year more and more as the year went on as the guys picked up the offense more. Well, some of these guys will be going on their 3rd year in his system, imagine what we may see!!!! I think we will see a lot of different formations. If Trott is as good as they say, look for him a Bennett to line up as WRs a lot like they used Wallace the past couple of years. I am looking forward to the bowl game and next year. I think we are very capable of going the distance next and maybe playing for the NC.

I had no clue David Irons might come back for another season.  What's the word everybody?  How can it happen?  When would we know?  Throw me a bone.

205106[/snapback]

yea he might be eligable because he was injured for and sat out 1 year at juco and then his first year here... so there hoping NCAA will give him a year of Medical redshirt wont that be nice

I had no clue David Irons might come back for another season.  What's the word everybody?  How can it happen?  When would we know?  Throw me a bone.

205106[/snapback]

Because he blew his ACL in the preseason of 2004, he missed the whole season. He can apply for a "medical redshirt" to the NCAA as soon as the season is over. I assume January 3. They will review his case and make a ruling. Lots of people apply for and receive medical reshirts. This allows them to have one extra year of college eligibilty.

So far, I haven't heard or read of him saying 100% that he WOULD attempt to go this route, but that pretty much seems to be the general consensus.

David and Kenny Irons dad posts on autigers.com from time to time. From what I remember him saying on there was that DI would apply and they felt confident of his chances. HE also pointed out, when someone made comment about KI leaving after this year, that they would both finish their degrees.

i read something from mr. irons that said david was going to get his draft report, and that he would not stop david from leaving if that report was high enough. personally, i think david is one of those guys who could REALLY help himself by coming back for two reasons: 1) another year proving he's not injury prone and 2) he's going to get a lot of attention after the year he just had.

i think he's in the same position carlos rogers was in after his junior year. he could get drafted in the 3rd round or so right now OR he could come back, have a stellar year, and be a 1st rounder. i hope he chooses the latter, but i can't be mad if he goes with the former.

from what i understand, david either graduates this december or in may. he's going to have his degree before next season. i think it's great that david sr. takes such an interest and such pride in both of his boys succeeding on and off the field.

I've got a question about Lee Guess...I see him as a potentially great possession receiver, you know, 3rd and 5 and he catches the 6 yard hook.  I can't remember the kids name, but I'm thinking of a white receiver we had maybe six or seven years ago...a little kid that was deadly on possession routes.  Anyone remember who I'm talking about, or see the same thing as me in Guess?

:nanner:   :au:   :nanner:

204915[/snapback]

Hicks Poor fits the description, except he played in the mid-90's (a little more than 5 or 6 years ago). Chris Carder filled the same role on the '93 undefeated team.

I've got a question about Lee Guess...I see him as a potentially great possession receiver, you know, 3rd and 5 and he catches the 6 yard hook.  I can't remember the kids name, but I'm thinking of a white receiver we had maybe six or seven years ago...a little kid that was deadly on possession routes.  Anyone remember who I'm talking about, or see the same thing as me in Guess?

:nanner:   :au:   :nanner:

204915[/snapback]

Hicks Poor fits the description, except he played in the mid-90's (a little more than 5 or 6 years ago). Chris Carder filled the same role on the '93 undefeated team.

205145[/snapback]

Sounds like Justin Fetsko, but he just graduated a couple of years ago.

What about kickers? We haven't had a strong Kicker in a long time. The LSU game was proof enough to place this as a real need for next year. Is there any plan to recruit a quality field goal kicker?

:au: isn't expected to sign a kicker this recruiting season, but I'd bet they sign at least one next year. A punter more than likely. Anyone know how Zach Kutch has looked in practice?

"Honestly the only position i'm concerned about is fullback."

I keep hearing this comment, and it's certainly valid, but remember we get Carl Stewart back at the "F" back position, similarly to the way we started this season. I'm not discounting having a true fullback in there; in fact, I think K. Irons benefited tremendously when Jake Slaughter was in there leading the way in the running game. Hopefully McLaughlin (sp?) or Turman to fill that role. That said, look for Borges to utilize Stewart (as a blocker and pass catcher) and maybe Tre Smith (catching passes and quick-hit, misdirection runs) at the "F" spot next year. I also wouldn't be surprised to see CAB get Tommy Trott on the field in an F / H -back type role, maybe to provide a bigger blocker for the running game and to take advantage of his fantastic hands.

Bottom line, although there's no obvious heir apparent to Jake Slaughter, I think we'll be fine; Al undoubtedly has a plan.

What about kickers?  We haven't had a strong Kicker in a long time.  The LSU game was proof enough to place this as a real need for next year.  Is there any plan to recruit a quality field goal kicker?

205232[/snapback]

You mean, the same kicker that kicked the winning FG against UGA???

Agreed JB, but it sure couldn't hurt to sign that Eason kid out of Mississippi as well to get a little more beef back there.

The only spot that worries me a little is the linebacking corps. I know that Dede and Sears have been good, but there is nothing but potential around them. If that potential turns out as solid as advertised, they could be great. If not, they could be very average next year.

Agreed JB, but it sure couldn't hurt to sign that Eason kid out of Mississippi as well to get a little more beef back there.

The only spot that worries me a little is the linebacking corps.  I know that Dede and Sears have been good, but there is nothing but potential around them.  If that potential turns out as solid as advertised, they could be great.  If not, they could be very average next year.

205455[/snapback]

I think the linebackers will be a strong point, been times like this before where we were unsure about our linebackers and tubs always came through and they were improved as advertised.

:au:   isn't expected to sign a kicker this recruiting season, but I'd bet they sign at least one next year. A punter more than likely. Anyone know how Zach Kutch has looked in practice?

I stand corrected. Apparently AU and UA are making a late push for a kicker from Oak Mountain High, near the Birmingham area, named Shoemaker. I haven't heard anything else about the kid however.

Archived