Winter Wonderland

deepseas

This is a serious question, does anyone know who/what Parson Brown is? We are kind of having a debate at work. Any info is helpful?

"In the meadow we can build a snowman,

Then pretend that he is Parson Brown

He'll say: Are you married?

We'll say: No man,

But you can do the job

When you're in town."

Apparently you guys aren't the only dorks... I mean folks to ask this very same question!! :big: (JK)

Link-A-Do

Actually, the reference to Parson Brown comes from the Broadway play Show Boat. In the play they perform a play called "The Parson's Bride" in which a woman is married to a horrible man but then is told that he is dead. She then starts up a new life and is being courted by a Parson Brown. Then the horrible husband returns and tries to make life miserable for the Parson and the wife. They must find a way to get rid of the evil man.

Show Boat was first performed in 1927. In 1929, an anonymous writter wrote a play based upon the Parson's Bride and named it such. In the song, Winter Wonderland, the next few lines are:

Later on we'll conspire

as we dream by the fire

To face unafraid the plans that we've made

walking in a winter wonderland. 

This is similar to the plot of the Parson's Bride in which the wife and the parson must get rid of the evil husband.

Winter Wonderland was written in 1934. The Parson's Bride was put on stage in 1929, ergo, it was a cultural reference that the writters of the song would have known. There you have it.

I am happy that I did not know that.....There is just no good ending to knowing a lot of show tunes as a guy.

205814[/snapback]

You are correct sir!!

Guest Tigrinum Major
Apparently you guys aren't the only dorks... I mean folks to ask this very same question!!  :big:   (JK)

205813[/snapback]

But yet they are not part of that group of nerds...I mean people that actually know the answer.

Apparently you guys aren't the only dorks... I mean folks to ask this very same question!!  :big:   (JK)

205813[/snapback]

But yet they are not part of that group of nerds...I mean people that actually know the answer.

205823[/snapback]

If you were implying me, well, I didn't KNOW the answer, smartypants. I didn't spout forth the answer with myself as a link. I just figured that in this day and age, someone else probably had actually asked this question before - you know, people who just absolutely have to know the answer to every little thing. One quick Google search and voila. Previously asked and answered. Google is the most amazing invention ever.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I agree that Google is a wonderful thing.

I had to give you a little poking back, FG/GM. You and TIS have been giving my boy H-E-DOUBLEHOCKEYSTICKS while I have been away.

I agree that Google is a wonderful thing. 

I had to give you a little poking back, FG/GM.  You and TIS have been giving my boy H-E-DOUBLEHOCKEYSTICKS while I have been away.

205844[/snapback]

FG/GM? Now I am the General Manager of this joint? :big:

You will have all day Monday to make up for it - I am taking my last unaccounted for vacation day of the year to do some last minute stuff before we head to Alabama next week. So, Major, you have the bridge...

Archived