Looking Back Four Years

Proud Tiger

Now that 2006 recruiting is over, and some are saying it was our best class ever, I thought it would be good to look back four years to 2002, which was generally considered to be our best class up until now, and see how those recruits did during the ensuing four year period.

We signed 31 but 11 of those never made a contribution for one reason or another. Those are Will Ward, Justin Bruce, Brandon Williams, Tyrone Martin, Brian Kuhn, Antwarn Franklin, Cavari Dailey, Troy Bergeron, Doug Morris, Michael Gibson, and Mike Sherrill. Hardly household names to us now.

Of course there were some surprises such as Courtney Taylor, Karibi Dede and Kevin Sears. And a blue chipper truned out to be a real blue chipper.....Big Marcus McNeill.

It will be interesting following the class of 2006 for the next 4-5 years.

Yes, we oversigned expecting some to be a sign and place. Of the 25 we actually brought in, 14 have made some type of impact...

Herring Will

Kiribi Dee Dee

Pitts Montavis

Mix Anthony

Grubbs Ben

Jackson Tommy

Sears Kevin

Duckworth Timothy

Palmer Jonathan

Cox Brandon

Smith Tre

Taylor Courtney

Aromashodu Devin

Obomanu Ben

I agree. This is the only way to evaluate a recruiting class.

Yes, we oversigned expecting some to be a sign and place. Of the 25 we actually brought in, 14 have made some type of impact...

Herring Will

Kiribi Dee Dee

Pitts Montavis

Mix Anthony

Grubbs Ben

Jackson Tommy

Sears Kevin

Duckworth Timothy

Palmer Jonathan

Cox Brandon

Smith Tre

Taylor Courtney

Aromashodu Devin

Obomanu Ben

I agree. This is the only way to evaluate a recruiting class.

219341[/snapback]

I hope we get more than 14 good contributors out of the 2006 class.

If I remember correctly, Antwarn Franklin was a big deal at the time.  One of those guys people fretted over and worried over.

219571[/snapback]

That's correct.

I agree it is fun to look back and see how the recruits performed and I really like to find out what the players were ranked by the recruiting services. I looked up alex smith from Utah last years #1 pick in the NFL draft and he was a 2 star coming out of high school so you never know when you find a star!

Archived