Does the SEC really play more cupcakes? (Long)

WENkj

Those of you that are on both insiders and here, this post is a repeat, but it didn't get much discussion over there. Probably because the facts don't support what a lot of people (myself included until I took the time to compare the conferences) want to believe.

Copied Post:

Since there has been nearly incessant talk of the "weak" OOC schedule that the SEC as a whole plays, I decided to compare the schedules of the SEC teams with those of our other two BCS 12-team conferences. The SEC OOC games that are shared with the Big 12 will be bolded, and those shared with the ACC are italicized. If shared with both, it will be underlined.

SEC

La Monroe 3

Tulane 3

Duke 2

Memphis 2

UAB 2

SMU

Central Florida

FSU

Western Carolina

Western Kentucky

Colorado

Georgia Tech

Louisville

Texas St

Central Michigan

Wofford

Florida Atl.

MTSU

Clemson

California

Air Force

Marshall

Michigan

Tennessee St

Kent St

Hawaii

Florida Int.

Southern Cal

Utah St

SE Missouri St

Washington St

Buffalo

Arkansas St

Arizona

Fresno St

La Lafayette

Missouri

Wake Forest

Northwestern St

West Virginia

Jacksonville St

ACC

Notre Dame 2

East Carolina 2

Troy 2

Western Michigan 2

Florida Int. 2

Ohio

BYU

Maine

Buffalo

Florida Atl.

La Tech

Temple

South Carolina

Rice

Florida

William & Mary

MTSU

Florida Int.

West Virginia

Syracuse

UConn

South Florida

Ole Miss

Liberty

App St.

Akron

Southern Miss

Richmond

Alabama

Vandy

Navy

Samford

Georgia

Florida A&M

Louisville

Houston

Rutgers

Furman

Pittsburgh

Wyoming

Northeastern

Cincinati

SMU

Kent St

Big 12

TCU 2

Army 2

Toledo 2

La Tech 2

Florida Atl. 2

Northwestern St 2

Montana St

Colorado St

Georgia

Arizona St

UNLV

NE Iowa

Iowa

So. Florida

Illinois St

Marshall

Murray St

Ole Miss

New Mexico

Louisville

Ohio

Nichols St

Southern Cal

Troy

Wash. St

UAB

Washington

Oregon

MTSU

Missouri St

Arkansas St

Houston

North Texas

Ohio State

Rice

Sam Houston

Citadel

La Lafayette

SMU

UTEP

SE Louisiana

Majors that aren't shared or from one of the two other conferences: SEC = California, Michigan, and Arizona with mid-majors Air Force, Fresno State, and Hawaii; ACC = Syracuse and Pittsburgh with mid-majors BYU, Houston, South Florida (I know they are Big East, but still), Akron, and Cincinati; Big 12 = Arizona St, Iowa, Oregon, Washington, and Ohio State with mid-majors Houston and Colorado St. I don't see a lot of difference between the conferences. I think the Big 12 is a bit stronger at the top, but they have a little lighter bottom end as well. The SEC plays 13 games against the other BCS conferences and is the only conference to have at least one game with each of the other conferences (4 ACC, 4 PAC 10, 2 Big XII, 2 Big East, 1 Big 10). The ACC is next with 12 games against BCS conference teams (4 SEC, 6 Big East, and 2 Notre Dame). Then the Big XII comes in with 11 games (2 SEC, 5 PAC 10, 2 Big East, 2 Big 10).

Thoughts?

kj

I thin this info should go a long way in dispelling a myth that seems to have grown around the SEC lately. However, don't look for ESPN or any major outlet to show this, because it would tarnish their love affair with the PAC 10 and Big 10.

Let me say this one more time (I really enjoy it)...NOTRE (Children of the) Damned played exactly THREE teams that has a winning record during the regular season. Cupcakes Galore! (Bond, James Bond).... :D

:au::homer:

I can't see any difference significant enough to say one conference or the other plays a substantially tougher OOC schedule. My take on it is this. For all major BCS conferences, the conference schedules are normally tough enough without having to add a Florida State or Miami or Notre Dame just to make the voters happy.

However, if you have 4 OOC games, I do think that you owe it to the fans who are footing the bill for all this, to at least take 2 of those and give the fans somebody worth driving to see. A couple of cupcakes is fine and gives an opportunity to develop some experience and depth. But I think the other two need to be from a BCS conference if at all possible, for the sake of the fans.

I would say with four OOC games, that you should play two cupcakes, a strong mid-major conference team, and a BCS team. This year we play one cupcake, two semi-weak mid-majors, and one BCS team. That doesn't seem like it's as far off ideal as some people make it out to be. I suppose you could argue whether the Sunbelt is truly a mid-major conference, but Arkansas St competed very well in their bowl game last year, and MTSU (also from the Sunbelt) competes regularly with UA and/or VU when they play (and have beaten VU the last few years).

kj

Archived