Arizona loses scholarships

Guest Tigrinum Major

Bama was listed pretty low on the list. If they were to loose scholarships because of grades, their faithful would go bonkers, errr even more bonkers. :blink:

BTW - I read on ITAT today that David Irons expects to graduate this summer and will be taking extra classes next year in order to play his final year. Pretty good for a non qualifying JC kid who ended up working his butt off in order to qualify and play. :cheer:

The lawsuits are close at hand I would assume. I for one didn't realize that they were assessing penalties at this point.

After a few more of these lost appeals, the lawsuits will follow IMO.

i am sure jesse jackson is looming along with the naacp.

why can't a program get the needed help for their players? auburn and coach tubs seem to have a great program in place.

The lawsuits are close at hand I would assume.  I for one didn't realize that they were assessing penalties at this point.

227362[/snapback]

Yeah we should sue the NCAA because we can't recruit players that are academically qualified and once they're here we let them skip class and stay ineligible... APR is a great thing IMO. I remind you that the keyword regarding players of sports at the college level is STUDENT-athletes.

IMHO.....Kids that can't or won't stay on track to graduate in five years shoud not be allowed to play...period.

An athletic scholly is an honor and a priveledge. The new NCAA rules are there to make sure that coaches do not cut corners at the expense of a kid's future. Sad to say but some SEC "schools" are gonna' get hit right between the eyes on this one.

The lawsuits are close at hand I would assume.  I for one didn't realize that they were assessing penalties at this point.

227362[/snapback]

Yeah we should sue the NCAA because we can't recruit players that are academically qualified and once they're here we let them skip class and stay ineligible... APR is a great thing IMO. I remind you that the keyword regarding players of sports at the college level is STUDENT-athletes.

227430[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the APR is a great thing. I just fully expect the lawsuits to start popping up soon.

Somebody like Zosmom (for all the ITATers) will sue because her son didn't get afforded the opportunity to play college football because of some other kids not making the grades before him.

It happened here in Bamaham when the city schools tried the "no pass, no play" rule. The good news is that despite the lawsuits, the program is alive and well.

Oh I fully expect some lawsuits too... it's just that I don't see how anyone can win a suit like that... if a program loses scholarships and they can't get as many good players, so be it because they didn't see to it that their players got the grades they needed. If Auburn can be ahead of Vandy and other top notch academic schools in APR, there's no reason that everyone else can't follow suit.

Bama was listed pretty low on the list.  If they were to loose scholarships because of grades, their faithful would go bonkers, errr even more bonkers.    :blink:

227361[/snapback]

But, but, but these kids would gladly pay their own way to wear the dark pink of the Fightin' Phyllises!

I don't see how limiting scholarships due to academic failures would be any different, legally, than limiting scholarships due to rules violations. Did anyone try or succeed in suing the NCAA or Logan Young for costing them the chance at a football scholarship at Bama during the recent sanctions, for example?

I don't believe a school has any legal obligation to offer scholarships to anyone for any reason--they just have an obligation not to discriminate in those scholarhsips they do decide to offer. (At least, that's my non-lawyer impression.)

Archived