Logan Young Found Dead

Guest Tigrinum Major

Some morning updates according to B'ham News:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...ll=2&thispage=1

MEMPHIS - Logan Young Jr., the former University of Alabama booster whose involvement in recruiting led to NCAA sanctions against the football program, was found dead in his home here Tuesday morning, leading Memphis police to question his son in the afternoon.

Police spokesman Sgt. Vincent Higgins said that Young, 65, "died a brutal death." But Higgins cautioned that the medical examiner would have to determine if the case should be ruled a homicide.

Young's son, Logan III, was taken into custody and questioned Tuesday afternoon.

We were able to locate him. We talked to him, and we have a statement from him," Higgins said. "But he is not considered a suspect. At this point, everything hinges on what the medical examiner says."

"There don't appear to be any firearms involved," Higgins said. "But there was a lot of blood. This person died a brutal death."

Although the homicide unit inspected the house, police need the medical examiner's report to rule out the possibility of an accident. Because of the amount of blood, it's possible Young bled to death.

"There were injuries that could be consistent with a trauma and there were injuries that could have been sustained in a great fall," Higgins said. "There are very steep steps in that house."

Higgins said it's up to the medical examiner to determine time of death, which investigators believed occurred at least three hours before Young's body was found.

Police would not speculate on a motive if the death is ruled a homicide. Friends and associates voiced concern that Young kept large amounts of cash in his home.

Too many questions so far...

if he was so badly disfigured they needed dental records to prove his identity that is not an accident. First off when you fall you normally put your arms out in front of you so that there would be stress fractures all through his wrists and hands. Secondly He would have had to have fallen at either great speed or for hours down steps to be so "disfigured". I'm sure this is a precautionary measure but if what the reports say are true then there is no way this death was accidental, maybe accidentally on purpose though.

Few thoughts

1) TennStud's posts on UT's board are disgusting. He isnt posting directly bad stuff but it isnt hard to see how he is insinuating things and it is rather disgusting.

2) I don't care...you don't fall down the steps and need to identify the body through dental records.

I was thinking the same as you on 2. There's not enough adrenaline in Tennessee to get an old man who wasn't small and happened to be in bad health up after a fall down the stairs in the first place. Secondly, he had to be identified by dental records, but was okay to walk up all those stairs he just fell down and take a shower before falling to sleep on his bed.

I am not a conspircay theorist, but they had waaaaay too many details in that report for an accidental death too.

2) I don't care...you don't fall down the steps and need to identify the body through dental records.

230594[/snapback]

I have been wondering about that as well. If they come back later and rule it suicide and that he fell down 30 times to get the job done, we will know there is something going on.

My mother fell down about 20 stairs years ago and broke her neck and whatnot. It was a terrible fall right on her face and whatnot.

I understand that blood may be involved AND that broke bones would occur but to the point of not being able to indentify him? Uh...I just dont get that

Few thoughts

1) TennStud's posts on UT's board are disgusting. He isnt posting directly bad stuff but it isnt hard to see how he is insinuating things and it is rather disgusting.

230594[/snapback]

He was all over finebaum the day logan was found dead getting his shots in at him. He would mask his stabs as words of comfort. But they were merely a way for him to get to say all these horrible things about someone who couldnt provide a rebuttal.

Roy Adams is trash. Trash trash trash.

I just don't find it easy to believe that he got up and walked around then died. When older people in bad health fall they usually don't get up under their own power much less walk up the stairs and around the house.

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../604130349/1011

BREAKING NEWS: Young's death ruled accidental

By Christopher Walsh

Sports Writer

April 13, 2006

UPDATED 2:30 p.m. MEMPHIS, Tenn. | The death of former Memphis businessman and Alabama booster Logan Young Jr. was declared an accident by the Memphis Police Department on Wednesday.

Speaking at an afternoon news conference, Memphis Police Department Director Larry Godwin disclosed that information — and that Young died from head injuries from a fall — after over 48 hours of intense scrutiny and conflicting reports from police both at Young’s home and at news conferences.

“He fell in his house, hit his head on a metal stair railing and died from that injury,” Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin said during a Thursday news conference.

Although police said their investigation is continuing, they said that their initial comments — that the scene was bloody and appeared to have been the site of a violent struggle – were just plain wrong.

Police said Tuesday that Young had been brutally beaten and had to be identified through fingerprints, but re-characterized their investigation Wednesday from a “mystery homicide” to a “death investigation” — first introducing the possibility that Young’s death was accidental.

“These statements, however true from initial observations, had not yet been confirmed by a complete crime scene investigation,” a news release said.

Lt. Joe Scott said at the news conference that investigators believe Young was taking a salad and a drink upstairs when he tripped, fell backward and hit his head on a wrought iron post.

Young was apparently unconscious at the bottom of the stairs for an extended period of time before regaining consciousness and walking into the kitchen, where they believe he used a hand towel to cover the wound, then into the laundry room — perhaps looking for another towel.

Then, police said, Young went back upstairs, leaving a blood trail and taking off his pajama bottoms.

Young then went into a bathroom, where they found blood on a newspaper, and a still-damp towel. They believe he got into the shower, then to his bed, where he laid down for some time.

They believe Young then reached for the telephone and fell out of bed, which is where his housekeeper found him Tuesday morning just before 9 a.m.

Check Bamamag, TiderInsider, Tidefans, and etc for the latest on "Phil Fulmer is guilty" Crimson conspiracy theories.... ;)

Kinda like the guy in LA who committed suicide by shooting himself 5 times with a 12ga. pump?????

Something sure sounds fishy.

Well...they blew the story right off the bat anyway. Who really believes that LY would have been eating a salad???

Seriously though, they had way too many details in their "accident" description for that to come out only 1 day after they thought it was murder. Unless they called in Gil Grissom to Memphis, I really don't think they could get that detailed about what happened without some sort of witness to the events.

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../604130349/1011
BREAKING NEWS: Young's death ruled accidental

By Christopher Walsh

Sports Writer

April 13, 2006

UPDATED 2:30 p.m. MEMPHIS, Tenn. | The death of former Memphis businessman and Alabama booster Logan Young Jr. was declared an accident by the Memphis Police Department on Wednesday.

Speaking at an afternoon news conference, Memphis Police Department Director Larry Godwin disclosed that information — and that Young died from head injuries from a fall — after over 48 hours of intense scrutiny and conflicting reports from police both at Young’s home and at news conferences.

“He fell in his house, hit his head on a metal stair railing and died from that injury,” Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin said during a Thursday news conference.

Although police said their investigation is continuing, they said that their initial comments — that the scene was bloody and appeared to have been the site of a violent struggle – were just plain wrong.

Police said Tuesday that Young had been brutally beaten and had to be identified through fingerprints, but re-characterized their investigation Wednesday from a “mystery homicide” to a “death investigation” — first introducing the possibility that Young’s death was accidental.

“These statements, however true from initial observations, had not yet been confirmed by a complete crime scene investigation,” a news release said.

Lt. Joe Scott said at the news conference that investigators believe Young was taking a salad and a drink upstairs when he tripped, fell backward and hit his head on a wrought iron post.

Young was apparently unconscious at the bottom of the stairs for an extended period of time before regaining consciousness and walking into the kitchen, where they believe he used a hand towel to cover the wound, then into the laundry room — perhaps looking for another towel.

Then, police said, Young went back upstairs, leaving a blood trail and taking off his pajama bottoms.

Young then went into a bathroom, where they found blood on a newspaper, and a still-damp towel. They believe he got into the shower, then to his bed, where he laid down for some time.

They believe Young then reached for the telephone and fell out of bed, which is where his housekeeper found him Tuesday morning just before 9 a.m.

Check Bamamag, TiderInsider, Tidefans, and etc for the latest on "Phil Fulmer is guilty" Crimson conspiracy theories.... ;)

230635[/snapback]

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere...ll=3&thispage=2

Young, who was divorced and lived alone, apparently tried to slow the bleeding with towels from the kitchen downstairs and a bathroom upstairs, and two towels soaked with blood were found on the bed. He walked past several telephones but didn't place an emergency call, Scott said.

Scott said a preliminary report from the medical examiner backed up the crime scene work of his investigators, though police could not say if Young died from blood loss, brain damage or some other cause.

Police first described Young's death as a homicide because of the large amount of blood found throughout the house, Memphis Police

Scott said investigators began to alter their homicide theory when they could not find blood splatters consistent with an attacker swinging a club, knife or other weapon.

They found no signs of a break-in, and money and other valuables in plain view were not disturbed, he said.

Okay, I said I wasn't going to get involved in idle speculation and macabre conspiracy theories about a tragedy until the final investigation was complete, but I've seen so much of the same all over the web I feel compelled to add a voice of reason.

Murder victims beaten unrecognizable and/or suicide victims don't go get up and grab towels to staunch the bleeding or climb into the shower. No one said he fell the length of stairs, and a simple fall near the bottom could open up a viscious head wound without causing more serious damage. Apparently he did eventually try to phone for help when he realized the bleeding wouldn't stop and collapsed reaching for the phone. A bloody face, a housekeeper too emotional to make a clear identification, and officers on the scene who weren't that familiar with LY's face easily could have gotten exaggerated into stories of "needing fingerprints and dental records to identify a 'beaten unrecognizable' " victim in the heat of the initial investigations. [if I told you at any suspected homicide scene that there was blood everywhere and fingerprints/dental records would be used for identification, what would your first assumption about the nature of the wounds be?]

Now I suppose one could argue that a murderer might have let him bleed where he fell for a while, carried him around the house to bleed other places, removed his pajama bottoms and put him in the shower, placed him in bed to bleed some more, before finally leaving him on the floor of his bedroom and planting some bloody towels to disguise the crime, but I think that's quite a stretch.

Sorry folks, nothing more unusual here than a police source makng exaggerated statements in the initial heat of the moment of discovery and a whole lot of macabre conspiracy-theory enthusiasts on-line, many of whom still haven't let go of their "Albert Means" emotional biases.

Let the family mourn their loss in peace and wait for the final report before continuing this morbid speculation and conjecture.

Well...they blew the story right off the bat anyway.  Who really believes that LY would have been eating a salad???

Seriously though, they had way too many details in their "accident" description for that to come out only 1 day after they thought it was murder.  Unless they called in Gil Grissom to Memphis, I really don't think they could get that detailed about what happened without some sort of witness to the events.

230680[/snapback]

??

I can't speak for LY, but a kidney transplant would cause me to try to make healthy changes in my life like reducing my drinking and eating healthier.

I also don't think it would take me more than 24 hours to follow a simple blood trail around a house and reconstruct a scenario as described. I see no unreasonable details that would take a master sleuth to uncover.

Just my opinion...

It will be interesting to see if he had a high blood alcohol level or not. It is very difficult for heavy drinkers to stop. Remember the actor, William Holden, sustained a head injury in his home and, I believe, bled to death. He had been intoxicated. However, LY was certainly sober enough to make an attempt to stop the bleeding. It is a very sad situation. I'm sorry he didn't make an immediate attempt to call for help. Such a shame.

The Memphis PD should call in the Aruban Police to show them how to properly conduct a murder investigation.

This is absurd. Who makes a public statement to the media that a man is found BRUTALLY murdered and that there was "quite a struggle", and then less than 48 hours later, goes back and says it was an accident? With details of a senior citizen in questionable health falling, injuring himself unconscious, walking all over the house up and down stairs spreading blood all over the house, showering, getting in bed, then trying to call 911 as he dies?

If I was a citizen of Memphis, I would be demanding a Police Chief's resignation right now. Then I would move to Aruba where I could have better Police protection.

This is a botched investigation if I ever saw one.

The Memphis PD should call in the Aruban Police to show them how to properly conduct a murder investigation.

This is absurd.  Who makes a public statement to the media that a man is found BRUTALLY murdered and that there was "quite a struggle", and then less than 48 hours later, goes back and says it was an accident?  With details of a senior citizen in questionable health falling, injuring himself unconscious, walking all over the house up and down stairs spreading blood all over the house, showering, getting in bed, then trying to call 911 as he dies?

If I was a citizen of Memphis, I would be demanding a Police Chief's resignation right now.  Then I would move to Aruba where I could have better Police protection.

This is a botched investigation if I ever saw one.

230900[/snapback]

Amen

I heard that a severe head trauma like the one young sustained can cause massive swelling of the head. That could be what caused the need for other means of identification, although I'm pretty sure they already knew who it was.

The cop that shot off about the murder caught some serious heat I'm sure. If things went down like they said then I can see why he jumped to that conclusion, but that's the whole thing about death investigations, don't jump to conclusions w/o solid evidence backing you up.

I heard that a severe head trauma like the one young sustained can cause massive swelling of the head. That could be what caused the need for other means of identification, although I'm pretty sure they already knew who it was.

The cop that shot off about the murder caught some serious heat I'm sure. If things went down like they said then I can see why he jumped to that conclusion, but that's the whole thing about death investigations, don't jump to conclusions w/o solid evidence backing you up.

230902[/snapback]

This is true about head trauma. HOWEVER, jumping to conclusions in your work is one thing. Jumping to conclusions in public statements to the media is quite another. You DO NOT SAY to anyone NOT INVOLVED in the case "This was a brutal murder and quite a struggle went on here." And you sure as hell do not say that to the freaking MEDIA, unless you are CERTAIN that this is what happened.

Unless you are CERTAIN, you do not say anything other than "Mr. Young was found dead in his home this morning. Authorities are investigating, and we will make further details available to you as they become available. I have no further comments at this time."

Again, this is totally ABSURD. I would demand for a resignation immediately.

Archived