Shula receives new contract

Tiger1992

From ESPN.com

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama football coach Mike Shula received a new six-year contract Wednesday worth $1.55 million per year.

The deal extends his contract two years through early 2012, with a raise of $650,000 plus a $200,000 signing bonus. Shula led the eighth-ranked Crimson Tide to a 10-2 record and a Cotton Bowl victory in his third season.

The university's trustees compensation committee unanimously approved the contract, moving Shula's salary into the upper half among coaches in the Southeastern Conference. Shula guided his alma mater back from NCAA sanctions and two quick coaching changes.

"I'm excited about our future at Alabama and I love the university," he said. "This is a great place to live and work. With our new facilities and support areas, our future is very bright."

Shula receives an increase from $150,000 to $200,000 in his base salary and an increase from $750,000 to $1.35 million in "talent fees." Shula would also get $200,000 annually in deferred compensation after the contract is completed.

Shula has a 20-17 record at Alabama. The team went 4-9 in his debut season when he replaced Mike Price, who was fired four months before his first season for off-the-field behavior.

Only four SEC coaches are set to make more than Shula next season: Auburn's Tommy Tuberville, Georgia's Mark Richt, Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer and Florida's Urban Meyer all make about $2 million a year.

"We are certainly happy to know that Mike Shula will be our coach for many years to come," athletic director Mal Moore said.

Mal - we're happy to know that too. War Eagle.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama football coach Mike Shula received a new six-year contract Wednesday worth $1.55 million per year.

233705[/snapback]

What time does the celebratory rolling of Toomer's Corner start tonight? I'm buying double rolls!

I'm wondering if we could raise money ourselves to extend it even further.

I assume this is just the final BOT stamp on the same contract that was in the news this past winter?

Still haven't heard anything about a buyout clause. How much is it going to cost them to dump him after the thumb and we start counting on the other hand?

:cheer::cheer: Nobody is happier that Gilligan got a raise than Auburn fans. :cheer::cheer: War EAGLE!!!!

By the time he leaves UAT, Auburn could very well have the overall lead in the series. I really doubt he'll be there long enough though. (I'm thinking 2 more years) Here's hoping they keep him forever, however...

Re: Buyout.

I found this reference on Tidefans:

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41722

Re: Coach Shula's Contract Approved/ Shula gets $655,000 raise

Originally Posted by RT3413:

While its great that CMS got a big, fat and well-deserved raise the best part of the contract are the buyout numbers. From what I read in the Tuscaloosa News, there is a $2M buyout if he leaves before 2012 (meaning some NFL team has got to be willing to spend $2M above any contract just to get him) PLUS he has $1.2M in defered compensation that doesn't get to him until 2012. That means that he's going to be personally leaving $1.2M on the table if he goes to the NFL.

Guys, we have our coach for the next 6 years. $3.2M is going to be quite a barrier to any NFL team.

Response from deliveryman35:

I am happy for Coach Shula, and after exceeding expectations last season I think everyone agrees that his compensation needed to be adjusted upward. But I dont agree about the buyout--$3.2 mil is not really major coin in the NFL when you consider most coaches earn 5+ mil/ yr. If CMS continues to do well here, the NFL WILL come calling one day and that buyout amount will not be an impediment...

:blink::lol:

Well that answers my buyout questions, but Shula and the NFL? :roflol::roflol:

He can't even win his own state!

$3.2M is going to be a healthy chunk of change for the GOB's to buy out in another year or two! Hope LY remembered the Tide in his will...

NFL?? Oh god... Try beating at least one of your top divisional foes first before you climb the mountain there...

Re: Buyout.

I found this reference on Tidefans:

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41722

Re: Coach Shula's Contract Approved/ Shula gets $655,000 raise

Originally Posted by RT3413:

While its great that CMS got a big, fat and well-deserved raise the best part of the contract are the buyout numbers. From what I read in the Tuscaloosa News, there is a $2M buyout if he leaves before 2012 (meaning some NFL team has got to be willing to spend $2M above any contract just to get him) PLUS he has $1.2M in defered compensation that doesn't get to him until 2012. That means that he's going to be personally leaving $1.2M on the table if he goes to the NFL.

Guys, we have our coach for the next 6 years. $3.2M is going to be quite a barrier to any NFL team.

Response from deliveryman35:

I am happy for Coach Shula, and after exceeding expectations last season I think everyone agrees that his compensation needed to be adjusted upward. But I dont agree about the buyout--$3.2 mil is not really major coin in the NFL when you consider most coaches earn 5+ mil/ yr. If CMS continues to do well here, the NFL WILL come calling one day and that buyout amount will not be an impediment...

:blink::lol:

Well that answers my buyout questions, but Shula and the NFL? :roflol::roflol:

He can't even win his own state!

$3.2M is going to be a healthy chunk of change for the GOB's to buy out in another year or two! Hope LY remembered the Tide in his will...

233771[/snapback]

O ... M ... G ... ! That was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I foolishly thought there was a limit on the Delusion Meter even for the bammies, but I happily stand corrected. :big: good find, quitefan.

Unbelievable! Were it not for a few VERY lucky bounces last year (Tenn., Ole Miss), Bama would have had AT LEAST four losses. Now the Bama homers are talking about the NFL. Al Borges and Will Muschamp will be coaching in the NFL before Shula. Don't worry Bama fans, Shula won't be getting a call from the NFL any time soon.

Great News! All I can say is WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au::cheer:

4 more years?  4 more wins?

Fear the OTHER thumb!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

233706[/snapback]

Fixed that for you! :big:

Archived