Chances of Winning the West

Longtrainn

So rather than talking about teams that have a chance for a national championship or even an SEC championship, let's go first things first: what are each team's chances of going to ATL this year?

Here's what I would say:

Auburn - 46%

LSU - 44%

The Field - 10%

I give us a slight edge since we get the Bengals at home, and I tend to think it would be a significant upset if any team not named the "Tigers" were to win the West.

Thoughts?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if Auburn can get past Lsu they will have a good chance of winning the west, they still have a big game at Jordan Hare East to finish the season!!!!!!!!!! :big:

If we go undefeated to LSU and beat them soundly..... theres nothing holding us back to home games against Georgia, other SEC teams... and the home game against T-town *snicker :cheer::cheer:

I think if Auburn can get past Lsu they will have a good chance of winning the west, they still have a big game at Jordan Hare East to finish the season!!!!!!!!!! :big:

234095[/snapback]

That would be Jordan Hare West...Jordan Hare East is Athens and we get them in the Jungle this year.

:)

LSU has games in Florida and in Tennessee....

if I had to give percentages I'd say

50% Auburn

46% LSU

4%  Bama

234111[/snapback]

I would put Arkansas above 'Bama, they actually have some real talent on offense returning...

arkansas does have players on that side of the ball, but they are putting in a new "wide open" system supposedly. i'd still say bama should be better. doesn't mean they will be, but they should.

whatever the advantage for home field is, i'd say that's our edge over lsu. nothing more or less. i don't see either team losing more than one game outside of that one so winner takes the division.

I think Arkansas suprises people this year....  That RB is a beast.

234126[/snapback]

Man, I hope you are right. It would make my day if they beat USC in week 1.

Guest Tigrinum Major
we get them in the Jungle this year.

234107[/snapback]

Off topic, but I hate this name. It never really caught on and I dislike it. Just my crappy attitude opinion, but I knew you all wanted to know.

Resume discussion.

The last two years the West has been won by the AU-LSU home team in extremely close games. I see no reason for this year to be any different.

The Hogs have some talented people--McFadden (sp?) will give Irons and Darby a run for SEC rushing champion this year--but they have to prove to me that they have a complete team and coaching staff to take the West. They can certainly be spoilers as they are capable of beating anyone on their schedule. I'm not sure if they are going to be able to consistently put it together EVERY Saturday however, as they must do to take the West. They could well get up for us or LSU, yet still lose 2-3 to other SEC teams.

Bama also has some talent, but I just don't see how you replace the sort of leadership they graduated last year. I think that senior leadership is part of what saved their bacon against Ole Miss and UT last year. And it's a much bigger loss, IMO, than any particular bodies on the field. No need to say anything about their coaching (or lack there of) on offense--it speaks for itself.

I don't expect Ole Miss to be in the running, but I'm curious to see if the "Big O" is for real or if his recruiting success was a fluke this year.

- - -

I think the East still runs through Jacksonville and the "Cocktail Party". I don't see Steve Spurrier ever being able to turn SC into another Florida of his heyday--it's still South Carolina, for gosh sake. Tennessee should not have had as bad of a season as they did last year and will probably win a few more this year, but I still think Fulmer's the captain of a sinking ship.

LSU's losses at OL/DL will hurt them tremendously, imo. In addition, do they do a QB switch or stick to one QB? That could have a real effect on the team....ask DJ/Greene about that.

I still think in 2006 it is

1. AU

2. LSU

3. UA

The last two years the West has been won by the AU-LSU home team in extremely close games.  I see no reason for this year to be any different.

234136[/snapback]

The last time the away team won this game was 2000, when AU beat LSU in Red Stick. I met my corndog two weeks later. We have attended the game every year since then. Every year, the home team has won. Also, every year that this game is played on the weekend of or immediately prior to his birthday, LSU has lost. His birthday is Sept 18th. Here's to continuing the tradition THIS year, and breaking it NEXT year!! :cheer:

arkansas does have players on that side of the ball, but they are putting in a new "wide open" system supposedly. i'd still say bama should be better. doesn't mean they will be, but they should.

whatever the advantage for home field is, i'd say that's our edge over lsu. nothing more or less. i don't see either team losing more than one game outside of that one so winner takes the division.

234122[/snapback]

Bamar basically lost their Defense...and their senior (he won 4 Heisman's) quarterback. Plus, they have the same pathetic O line coming back. I don't see how in the Wide World of Sports they can possibly be better than last year. No way....

:au::homer:

234122[/snapback]

Bamar basically lost their Defense...and their senior (he won 4 Heisman's) quarterback. Plus, they have the same pathetic O line coming back. I don't see how in the Wide World of Sports they can possibly be better than last year. No way....

:au::homer:

234158[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing... the defense they had last year kept them in so many games, with the addition of some lucky bounces here and there. They lose so many on that side of the ball...not to mention alot of "leadership" type players on both sides. Its going to take Bama a couple of games for their defense to actually gel...but with the cupcake schedule they have, it shouldn't be a problem.

It will be Bama and Arkansas fighting for the #3 position in the West.

nononono, i didn't mean bama would be better as in a better team. i meant they'd be better than arkansas. sorry for the confusion, and i still think that's true.

I agree with most that the LSU-AU winner will once again decide the west champ. I firmly believe we will beat them at JHS, which will be electric after taking down WSU two weeks prior and a neutering of the dawgs over in Starkville the week prior.

I think the bama OL and offense will see some improvement in the running game, heck surely they couldn't get worse in that category. The passing game is going to be critical especially with a new QB. I do think their D is going to for once be the weaker link. To many bodies, and senior bodies, being replaced. Just don't know if they are as talented. Time will tell. Just don't foresee them being at the same level as last year.

I think Ole Miss will be improved. They will have some talent on the Offensive side of the ball. Good RB and QB (see if Schaeffer is any better than when he was a FR at UT). They were not real bad defensively last year, but not good. Thier LB should be candidate for D player of the year this year.

Miss St. will still not be any good.

Arkansas is my suprise team for the west. They have a lot of returning starters. If that QB that Nuttzo took the redshirt off of at the end of the year continues to improve with thier passing game, or Mustain pans out. They could be dangerous on O. The D will certainly be improved from a squad that was not terrible towards the end of the year and now more experienced. I do think they could very well upset USC the opening day......I think Arky will be out for blood and I guarantee you Nutt will run up the score if given the chance, or at least I hope he does.

I see UGA, UF, and UT once again battling for the East. I really think UT will be back on its game, but I look for UF in the lead b/c of senior at teh helm at QB. Ainge still has to prove something at UT. Don't know what to make of UGA, lost QB and seniors on D, but they will be competitive as usual I think. I still give the nod to UF, who finishes with 2 losses, one at AU!!!!!!!!!

234126[/snapback]

Man oh man, he is pretty big.....and fast.

I agree with most that the LSU-AU winner will once again decide the west champ.  I firmly believe we will beat them at JHS, which will be electric after taking down WSU two weeks prior and a neutering of the dawgs over in Starkville the week prior. 

I think the bama OL and offense will see some improvement in the running game, heck surely they couldn't get worse in that category.  The passing game is going to be critical especially with a new QB.  I do think their D is going to for once be the weaker link.  To many bodies, and senior bodies, being replaced.  Just don't know if they are as talented.  Time will tell.  Just don't foresee them being at the same level as last year.

I think Ole Miss will be improved.  They will have some talent on the Offensive side of the ball.  Good RB and QB (see if Schaeffer is any better than when he was a FR at UT).  They were not real bad defensively last year, but not good.  Thier LB should be candidate for D player of the year this year.

Arkansas is my suprise team for the west.  They have a lot of returning starters.  If that QB that Nuttzo took the redshirt off of at the end of the year continues to improve with thier passing game, or Mustain pans out.  They could be dangerous on O.  The D will certainly be improved from a squad that was not terrible towards the end of the year and now more experienced.  I do think they could very well upset USC the opening day......I think Arky will be out for blood and I guarantee you Nutt will run up the score if given the chance, or at least I hope he does.

I see UGA, UF, and UT once again battling for the East.  I really think UT will be back on its game, but I look for UF in the lead b/c of senior at teh helm at QB.  Ainge still has to prove something at UT.  Don't know what to make of UGA, lost QB and seniors on D, but they will be competitive as usual I think.  I still give the nod to UF, who finishes with 2 losses, one at AU!!!!!!!!!

234221[/snapback]

west

Thats pretty much right, heck AU is a preseason number 3 i think. They should/better win the west. They have a good QB/RB combo. Im not real sure about the O-line, I think you guys have a couple of holes to fill there. 11-1 or 12-0 (i think AU might lose one)

LSU will be stronger than last year I think. Miles has them going in the right direction.

10-2, 9-3

Ole Miss will be better. 8-4, 7-5

Miss State, well...........if they dont all go to jail, they cant get worse. 6-6, 5-7, or maybe 4-8....who knows with this group

Arky will have a strong running game, not real sure about the D. 8-4, 7-5

Bama........eh.........wouldnt surprise me to see them lose all of their road games and lose to AU at home agian. 7-5

east

UF runs the table- I think they will lose to AU or UGA or UT.....but not all of them

UGA second-same as UF.......lose to AU, UT or UF....but not all

UT third or maybe USC......UT I think will still struggle at QB......USC is a sleeper

Vandy.....back to the bad records.....maybe 5 wins

UK.....uh..........bad

SEC championship

AU over UF

I agree with most that the LSU-AU winner will once again decide the west champ.  I firmly believe we will beat them at JHS, which will be electric after taking down WSU two weeks prior and a neutering of the dawgs over in Starkville the week prior. 

I think the bama OL and offense will see some improvement in the running game, heck surely they couldn't get worse in that category.  The passing game is going to be critical especially with a new QB.  I do think their D is going to for once be the weaker link.  To many bodies, and senior bodies, being replaced.  Just don't know if they are as talented.  Time will tell.  Just don't foresee them being at the same level as last year.

I think Ole Miss will be improved.  They will have some talent on the Offensive side of the ball.  Good RB and QB (see if Schaeffer is any better than when he was a FR at UT).  They were not real bad defensively last year, but not good.  Thier LB should be candidate for D player of the year this year.

Arkansas is my suprise team for the west.  They have a lot of returning starters.  If that QB that Nuttzo took the redshirt off of at the end of the year continues to improve with thier passing game, or Mustain pans out.  They could be dangerous on O.  The D will certainly be improved from a squad that was not terrible towards the end of the year and now more experienced.  I do think they could very well upset USC the opening day......I think Arky will be out for blood and I guarantee you Nutt will run up the score if given the chance, or at least I hope he does.

I see UGA, UF, and UT once again battling for the East.  I really think UT will be back on its game, but I look for UF in the lead b/c of senior at teh helm at QB.  Ainge still has to prove something at UT.  Don't know what to make of UGA, lost QB and seniors on D, but they will be competitive as usual I think.  I still give the nod to UF, who finishes with 2 losses, one at AU!!!!!!!!!

234221[/snapback]

west

Thats pretty much right, heck AU is a preseason number 3 i think. They should/better win the west. They have a good QB/RB combo. Im not real sure about the O-line, I think you guys have a couple of holes to fill there. 11-1 or 12-0 (i think AU might lose one)

LSU will be stronger than last year I think. Miles has them going in the right direction.

10-2, 9-3

Miss State, well...........if they dont all go to jail, they cant get worse. 6-6, 5-7, or maybe 4-8....who knows with this group

Bama........eh.........wouldnt surprise me to see them lose all of their road games and lose to AU at home agian. 7-5

east

UF runs the table- I think they will lose to AU or UGA or UT.....but not all of them

UT third or maybe USC......UT I think will still struggle at QB......USC is a sleeper

UK.....uh..........bad

SEC championship

AU over UF

234228[/snapback]

Ole Miss won't win 8 games with O calling the shots, I'm not sold on Schaffer being any good at qb. Miss. State won't come close to 6 wins, that offense is bad, really bad. The East is going to be a jumble while the West could be a two team showdown early in the season.

234126[/snapback]

I like our chances of going to Atlanta this year. :cheer:

Arky will surprise some teams, hopefully the first one being that pompous group from Cali... :thumbsdown:

Hope Bama goes 0-12.

I hate Alabama and want you to hate them too......

We need the Defense to play like champs from day 1. Am interested in hearing what everyone thinks of that. We can't get pushed around inside like Wisconson did.

234221[/snapback]

west

10-2, 9-3

east

UK.....uh..........bad

SEC championship

AU over UF

234228[/snapback]

Ole Miss won't win 8 games with O calling the shots, I'm not sold on Schaffer being any good at qb. Miss. State won't come close to 6 wins, that offense is bad, really bad. The East is going to be a jumble while the West could be a two team showdown early in the season.

234230[/snapback]

yea, your right. Its kinda hard to call these two teams anyway. they will be fighting for the 4-6 spots.

I think there's little doubt the Tigers will win the West again, whether it's :au: or LSwho. In the East, UGA is still the team to beat imo. Still don't believe in the :uf: hype and USC won't win it...yet.

Also, wanted to call Jenny on our victory in Red Stick...it was actually 1999, the Year of the Cigar.

Guest Tigrinum Major
We need the Defense to play like champs from day 1.  Am interested in hearing what everyone thinks of that.

234240[/snapback]

I don't know about that. Maybe the defense shoud wait and show up for LSU. I mean, after all, Washington State is a preseason game and all.

Archived