Chances of Winning the West

Longtrainn

:no: Bammers ..... poor, ignorant Bammers! :big:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, thanks Jenny for letting me keep my head resting firmly on my shoulders, I rather like it that way.  :D

234303[/snapback]

She's mellowing in her old age.

234309[/snapback]

FIrst, you are older than me.

Second, at least I still have all my toes.

Also, thanks Jenny for letting me keep my head resting firmly on my shoulders, I rather like it that way.  :D

234303[/snapback]

234309[/snapback]

234472[/snapback]

Oh Great and powerful Football Goddess, you now owe me one Monitor CLEANING!

:roflol::roflol::roflol::poke:

the colloquialism "running the table" means when a team goes undefeated....not when they achieve a level of success that is deemed successful....

example: Auburn "ran the table" in 2004....Bama did not "run the table" in 2005 despite doing much better than everyone thought

234410[/snapback]

whatever, talking to an AU fan is like talking to a brick wall....not all of you, but some of you.........USC won the national championship with a loss, do you not count them as running the table?

234415[/snapback]

No, the term "running the table" comes from the game of pool, and means that a player makes all of their balls without missing a shot and not giving his opponent a chance at making a shot. It can be done on teh break or after the opponent misses a shot.

Therefore, "running the table" has come to mean "undefeated" in the context of other sports. Have you ever heard of a baseball team "running the table"? No, because it is impossible.

Hence, Auburn (and Utah) "ran the table" in 2004 and did not win the MNC because they did not win the BCS game. USC "ran the table" and the won the BCS game, so they were MNCs. USC did not "run that table" in 2003, but still was awarded the MNC by the AP, while LSU also did not "run the table" but won the BCS game in 2003.

By the way, running over to Crimson Tusks and whining about Auburn fans being closeminded because we are correcting you on your misuse of a term is not very becoming of you.

234465[/snapback]

See, if two people say it its true...

Guest Tigrinum Major

234303[/snapback]

234309[/snapback]

234472[/snapback]

I hope you injure yourself with a staple remover.

234303[/snapback]

234309[/snapback]

234472[/snapback]

I hope you injure yourself with a staple remover.

234495[/snapback]

lol :lol:

Look Engineering in Bama must be really sad if you can't understand this..so i'm going to break it down. "Running the table" is a colloquialism that originates from billiards. A person in billiards "runs the table" when they break and then proceed to pocket every ball without giving his opponent a chance. When the game is over the person who "ran the table" has no balls left on the table. The person who had the table run on them has all of their balls left.

NOW, this doesn't REALLY correlate to college football. If the game of football was played as each time you scored you kept the ball and the winner won at 7 touchdowns then, yes, a team could actually "run the table" against another team.

When discussing "running the table" in terms of a season, the closest corollary would be a team going undefeated thus leaving all of their opponents with all of their "balls" left on the field. lol ;) .

If you wanted to be an ECE, you shoulda went to AU to get a real education. :poke:

now..."running a train" is completely different...

234459[/snapback]

Yes, i understand what you mean by running the table in pool, etc. All i meant was that UF or UGA whoever wins between the two will win the SEC East. Thats all I meant.......i didnt mean run the table as in going undefeated.......

Its a figure of speech, dont hurt your self over analyzing it.

the colloquialism "running the table" means when a team goes undefeated....not when they achieve a level of success that is deemed successful....

example: Auburn "ran the table" in 2004....Bama did not "run the table" in 2005 despite doing much better than everyone thought

234410[/snapback]

whatever, talking to an AU fan is like talking to a brick wall....not all of you, but some of you.........USC won the national championship with a loss, do you not count them as running the table?

234415[/snapback]

No, the term "running the table" comes from the game of pool, and means that a player makes all of their balls without missing a shot and not giving his opponent a chance at making a shot. It can be done on teh break or after the opponent misses a shot.

Therefore, "running the table" has come to mean "undefeated" in the context of other sports. Have you ever heard of a baseball team "running the table"? No, because it is impossible.

Hence, Auburn (and Utah) "ran the table" in 2004 and did not win the MNC because they did not win the BCS game. USC "ran the table" and the won the BCS game, so they were MNCs. USC did not "run that table" in 2003, but still was awarded the MNC by the AP, while LSU also did not "run the table" but won the BCS game in 2003.

By the way, running over to Crimson Tusks and whining about Auburn fans being closeminded because we are correcting you on your misuse of a term is not very becoming of you.

234465[/snapback]

Yea, in pool thats what running the table means.......but, like you said being undefeated doesnt always run the table........in the national scene.......im talking about the SEC East division......whoever wins between UF and UGA will WIN (sorry i wont use the run the table phrase agian).

Guest Tigrinum Major
Yes, i understand what you mean by running the table in pool, etc. All i meant was that UF or UGA whoever wins between the two will win the SEC East. Thats all I meant.......i didnt mean run the table as in going undefeated.......

Its a figure of speech, dont hurt your self over analyzing it.

234526[/snapback]

Then you were using the figure of speech "running the table" improperly. No one "overanalyzed" anything until you started defending your use of a term in an incorrect manner.

Note to ECEstudentUA: We will take any opportunity to do this type of thing whenever you post something so ridiculous as "running the table with only a loss or two". Embrace it.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Yea, in pool thats what running the table means.......but, like you said being undefeated doesnt always run the table........in the national scene.......im talking about the SEC East division......whoever wins between UF and UGA will WIN (sorry i wont use the run the table phrase agian).

234528[/snapback]

You still don't get it. I said that being undefeated indicates a "run of the table", no matter if a team wins the MNC. They ran the table, or schedule, that they were given. Championships have nothing to do with it.

234528[/snapback]

You still don't get it. I said that being undefeated indicates a "run of the table", no matter if a team wins the MNC. They ran the table, or schedule, that they were given. Championships have nothing to do with it.

234530[/snapback]

No i understand.....like i said, i used the wrong phrase. If UF or UGA were to run the table....they would have to be undefeated.....simple.....

Guest Tigrinum Major

No i understand.....like i said, i used the wrong phrase. If UF or UGA were to run the table....they would have to be undefeated.....simple.....

234531[/snapback]

We aim to educate.

Keep it up and one day I might consider you an erudite Bama fan.

UGA beating UF wouldn't surprise me at all in 2006 because for the first time since 2001, we won't be expected to win.

Maybe that will help us.

I dunno, nothing else seems to work or help us

Education is the key to life. Now you won't use the silly colloquialism at Thanksgiving and have everyone mock you for using it wrong. "Boy, do y'all think Bama will run the table?!" And everyone will go, "No, we've already lost to LSU." Anyway, I'm glad TM and I could educate.

On another note, I don't like being called closed minded on Crimson Tusks. I am not the Auburn fan that grew up in the 70's with the Bear and can find a way to spin a Bama Softball championship as a bad thing for Bama. I am 2 years into this rivalry and I'm catching on but I don't think I will ever hate bama as much as most people here....

Continue on with specualting about 2006... :)

On another note, I don't like being called closed minded on Crimson Tusks. I am not the Auburn fan that grew up in the 70's with the Bear and can find a way to spin a Bama Softball championship as a bad thing for Bama. I am 2 years into this rivalry and I'm catching on but I don't think I will ever hate bama as much as most people here....

234655[/snapback]

My first words were War Eagle, from that day forward I have hated the dark pink army. 20+ years later living in a major UAT family I thought I hated them as much as one could, until I came here and WarTim, TruAubFan, Tombigbee, P'cola, and recent addition of G2 as well as many others have shown even I have some work to do in that area.

:au::cheer:

Archived