iron bowl date change in '07

'82 Tiger

STUPID!

I also dislike putting a game between Georgia and Alabama. That is messing with traditional scheduling and history. It does not cheapen the game between Auburn and Georgia, but it messes with it knowing that if we beat Georgia we have two more games to play before the SEC Championship, even if the nonconference game has no bearing on the SEC Championship.

Get rid of the 12th game, give us a playoff, and don't mess with traditional end of year game scheduling. (Georgia, Alabama in that order)

I don't like this at all. Why is all the power being taken away from the coaches? It should be up to each individual program when they schedule their open date.

Yeah, I am not too fond of the idea either. I agree with Tubberville on the whole everyone getting to be with their families thing. Of course college football long ago ceased being about the student athletes.

Poor old Vandy, the red-headed stepchild of the SEC... I did get a slight laugh at reading about Vandy having nobody to play that day.

I haven't thought about the logistics and all that, but if UGA has to move their Tech game to the same day, why not move the UGA game up a week as well and have the open date before that? That would at least make me slightly less ill towards the changes.

I recall them talking about this when they instigated the 12th game. The first thing that popped in my head was the fact that the game won't have the students there during the week!! Who is going to tailgate on campus for thanksgiving? The atmosphere will be so much more dead - people won't get to Auburn/Tuscaloosa until the day of the game - maybe friday for some fans. On a positive note, at least our boys won't be beaten up after the UGA game and can prepare a little more for Bama (assuming we play a weak team).

I like this to a degree. This brings back memories of the old years (1989, for instance) when Auburn and Alabama had the week off before the Iron Bowl. However, the bad thing is that the off week then was Thanksgiving; now the off week is a dead weekend. My oh my, will campus empty out with no ball game and Thanksgiving break for the students.

You just know Tuberville wanted to say,

"Why the hell should Bama care about preparation for the championship game, they won't be there anytime soon anyways."

I believe each university should be able to make their own schedule. I don’t like the idea of moving the Alabama game to Thanksgiving weekend but I can live with it. What upsets me most is the fact that the final two games of the season won’t be Georgia and Alabama. Since 1964 Auburn has closed the regular season against UGA and UA. When Auburn resumed the series with Alabama in 1948 there was a game between UGA and UA from 1948-63. (Clemson 1948-55, Florida St. 1956-57,1960, & 1962-63, Wake Forest 1958, Southern Miss. 1959, and Florida 1961)

BOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!

This REALLY sucks. Since when should the SEC mandate who plays when. This is a dark day for Auburn. I always enjoyed having Thanksgiving open for family. Its also been a good time to brag about an Iron Bowl victory with my pompous Bama fan relatives. I always enjoyed watching NFL and the "Egg Bowl" during Thanksgiving, but I could enjoy those in the comfort of my living room, surrounded by turkey and family.

:(

I don't like this too much either. This could be a slippery slope. The SEC should not be telling schools who to play when but we may be heading down that path.

But you guys have missed the REAL problem here. And that is how this schedule change will impact DEER SEASON. :)

I don't like this at all.  Why is all the power being taken away from the coaches?  It should be up to each individual program when they schedule their open date.

236109[/snapback]

We get screwed every year with UF having an off-week before the UGA/UF game EVERY F-ING year basically. Not every year but most.

Annoying

Since the addition of the 12th game, and only having one open date per season, do none of you see the benefits of being able to have the open date along about the middle of the season when the guys are starting to get wore down with nagging injuries and just plain exhaustion? Sure, an open date before the SECC game is nice, but imo, it would be better on the players to have it in the middle of the season.

Since the addition of the 12th game, and only having one open date per season, do none of you see the benefits of being able to have the open date along about the middle of the season when the guys are starting to get wore down with nagging injuries and just plain exhaustion? Sure, an open date before the SECC game is nice, but imo, it would be better on the players to have it in the middle of the season.

236313[/snapback]

We know the benefits of a mid season off week. The ones that have replied on this thread are not happy with the way the game will interfere with Thanksgiving and other things during that time period. Others people don't like the fact that the SEC front office is telling Auburn when they should schedule their games. I'm too young to remember the Iron Bowl being after Thanksgiving.

I don't like this at all.  Why is all the power being taken away from the coaches?   It should be up to each individual program when they schedule their open date.

236109[/snapback]

We get screwed every year with UF having an off-week before the UGA/UF game EVERY F-ING year basically. Not every year but most.

Annoying

236219[/snapback]

That must be why the Gators usually beat the pound puppies.

Excuses Excuses...

That must be why the Gators usually beat the pound puppies.

You said it, not me.

I simply pointed out how UF gets it every year while we do not.

It is without doubt an advantage.

I'm trying to recall. Wasn't the game on Thanksgiving Friday back in the late 70's early 80's?

I'm trying to recall. Wasn't the game on Thanksgiving Friday back in the late 70's early 80's?

236496[/snapback]

The 1992 Iron Bowl was on Thanksgiving Day. We had our turkey in the motor home after the game. Also, I know the 1987 Iron Bowl was on a Friday. My brother is still upset he had to miss it. He was playing in the 3rd round of the state football playoffs that night.

Archived