Mchael moore sued for $85M

DKW 86

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle....&src=rss&rpc=22

By Jason Szep

BOSTON (Reuters) - A U.S. war veteran who lost both arms in Iraq has sued Oscar-winning director Michael Moore for $85 million, saying television clips were used without his permission in the anti-war documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" and gave a false impression that he opposed the war.

Sgt. Peter Damon, 33, a supporter of President George W. Bush and the Iraq war, claims Moore misused the footage to portray him "in a false light" and as "disagreeing with the president about the war effort and as disagreeing with the war effort itself."

"It was kind of almost like the enemy was using me for propaganda. What soldier wants to be involved in that?" Damon told CBS's local television news affiliate. "I didn't lose my arms over there to come back and be used as ammunition against my commander-in-chief."

In a suit that also names Miramax Films Corp. and several other film companies, Damon says Moore never sought his consent for using segments of an NBC Nightly News interview with Damon while he was in hospital.

According to the complaint filed in Suffolk Superior Court in Boston and obtained by Reuters on Thursday, Damon is seeking damages for "loss of reputation, emotional distress, embarrassment, and personal humiliation".

Damon said he felt betrayed by the filmmaker, whose "Fahrenheit 9/11" won the top prize at the Cannes film festival and was the highest-grossing documentary ever at nearly $120 million.

Damon lost his right arm near the shoulder and his left arm above the wrist when a tire on a Black Hawk helicopter exploded while he and two other soldiers were servicing the aircraft on the ground in Iraq. His left arm later had to be amputated at the elbow. One of Damon's colleagues was killed.

Michael Moore's film production company was not immediately available for comment.  Continued...

I heard an interview with Damon and he said that he and his lawyers have tried numerous times since this movie came out to contact Moore and neither he nor his attys. would respond.

Politics aside (if that's even possible on such a hot topic as Michael Moore):

Does anyone know what kind of release NBC News signed with Damon, or what kind of release Moore signed with NBC News? (Or more generally, what sort of releases are the norm for network news footage?)

Depending on those contracts, NBC News may have had the legal rights to the interview and the legal rights to sell the footage to Michael Moore. In other words, did Damon sign a release giving NBC the right to use/sell the interview in anyway they saw fit? If he did, he may have already forfitted any right to challenge Moore's use of the footage as long as Moore had NBC approval, although I would assume Damon's lawyers would be aware of that. On the other hand, NBC and/or Michael Moore may have misinterpreted the releases (if any) they have, although I would think both of those parties have enough experience/knowledge with the media over the years to cover their a$$e$ legally.

Guess that's why there's lawyers and courts....we'll find out.

Politics aside (if that's even possible on such a hot topic as Michael Moore):

Does anyone know what kind of release NBC News signed with Damon, or what kind of release Moore signed with NBC News? (Or more generally, what sort of releases are the norm for network news footage?)

Depending on those contracts, NBC News may have had the legal rights to the interview and the legal rights to sell the footage to Michael Moore.  In other words, did Damon sign a release giving NBC the right to use/sell the interview in anyway they saw fit?  If he did, he may have already forfitted any right to challenge Moore's use of the footage as long as Moore had NBC approval, although I would assume Damon's lawyers would be aware of that.  On the other hand, NBC and/or Michael Moore may have misinterpreted the releases (if any) they have, although I would think both of those parties have enough experience/knowledge with the media over the years to cover their a$$e$ legally.

Guess that's why there's lawyers and courts....we'll find out.

238082[/snapback]

That all is possible. However, this is still legal ramifications for misrepresenting somebody's comments regardless of who owns the rights.

Perhaps if our present administration would have continued to fight the terrorist in Afghanistan, instead of the Iraqis, none of this would have happened. And, our Marines wouldn't have killed innocent people, which blackens our other eye. Think about it a minute, 200 billion plus, and some say the total will be a trillion before all is said and done. That's a lot of money fighting a country that didn't pose an imminent threat, especially coming from a fiscally conservative party. My, my, my what a mess. That's it I'm constructing a petition for the city council to the state senate to the U.S. Senate, to change the structure of government that removes the power of the "Commander and Thief" over our military and gives it to congress, both houses. What's it, 700 plus signatures I need? Heck, I can got to Wal-Mart on Sunday and get that. :roflol:

Is it waste of time, or can this government be changed? I'm throwing up pork over here. :puke: That has to go too. The Federal Reserve printing out dollars for pork and a unwarranted war. That has got to stop. That's a separate petition for the exit at Wal-Mart.

IRAQIS FLEE IRAQ - AMERICANS NOW MAJORITY

By Don Davis

Recent reports have confirmed that the sectarian violence in Iraq is causing millions of Iraqi citizens to vote with their feet, as the middle class is leaving the Country in droves.

Flashing their purple toenails to dramatize their exodus from this modern-day Dante’s Inferno, fleeing Iraqis expressed optimism about their new lives in such utopias as Jordan and Syria. Coupled with the recent addition of U.S. troops, American citizens now constitute an absolute majority in Iraq.

President Bush hailed this as a major victory in the war on terror, and a vindication of his strategic vision, which is to rid Iraq of its secular elite — so that the only Iraqis remaining are religious fanatics who share the same values of irrationality and intolerance as the GOP base.

TheRealBossAtTreasury.jpgExpensesOverrunningWages.jpg

Imagine that.  All these Republicans who decry frivolous lawsuits jump on board when one targets a guy they hate.  No hypocrisy here... :rolleyes:

238103[/snapback]

I actually only see one person "jumping on board." Maybe 2 if you count ranger12's post about possible leagal ramifications. DKW simply posted the article. I posted the info I had heard on it never saying I agree or disagree with the lawsuit. We know the article is from Reuters and not Townhall or FoxNews, quietfan and Bottmfeeder are not Republicans...and for that matter either am I, so...what thread are you reading? :blink:

Imagine that.  All these Republicans who decry frivolous lawsuits jump on board when one targets a guy they hate.  No hypocrisy here... :rolleyes:

238103[/snapback]

I actually only see one person "jumping on board." Maybe 2 if you count ranger12's post about possible leagal ramifications. DKW simply posted the article. I posted the info I had heard on it never saying I agree or disagree with the lawsuit. We know the article is from Reuters and not Townhall or FoxNews, quietfan and Bottmfeeder are not Republicans...and for that matter either am I, so...what thread are you reading? :blink:

238106[/snapback]

On this board, Raptor and Ranger. Free Republic has more posters, check it out:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1641214/posts

OOOOOH...OK...I get it...  :rolleyes:

238110[/snapback]

Not so sure you do. You do realize that there's a world outside this board, don't you? :poke::poke:

Do you honestly think a good number of Republicans aren't pleased with this lawsuit?

OK, Tex. You stated:

All these Republicans who decry frivolous lawsuits jump on board when one targets a guy they hate.  No hypocrisy here... :rolleyes:

I doubt anyone here knew you were talking about the Free Republic wed-site or Republicans in general when you say (on this board, no less) "All these republicans" as well as "no hypocrisy here." I'm sure you will forgive me for not reading your mind. :roll: I have better things to do in the outside world than troll the message boards to argue Donkey v. Elephant or play the political gotcha game all the time.

That, too, woud explain the fact that I don't have near as many posts in the last 6 months as you, don't have as many posts overall as you and I don't have near the % of posts in the "Politically Speaking Forum." I will admit to having an equal number of posts as you today due to the fact I had a day off from work in the outside world. Half of my posts today have been about something other than politics. But beyond that it woud almost appear that you, my fine Texas friend, do not realize there is a world outside this board much less the internet message boards. ;)

Take care!

Do you honestly think a good number of Republicans aren't pleased with this lawsuit?

238113[/snapback]

I now have past you on the post # for the day! ;)

On a non-sarcastic note...I do think a great number of Republicans are ecstatic. I do think it hypocritical. But both parties are so hypocritical it's not worth the time anymore to try to point them all out.

You know, it's weird. I am extremely unhappy with the R party in office right now. The D party hasn't done anything to make me like them anymore...at all...you get what I'm saying I'm sure. I haven't seen a third party candidate that can win me over as of yet. I feel that our elected officials are more loyal to their parties than to their constituents. They are more interested in fighting amongst each other and too worried about having to move from Washington to worry about what really matters in America right now. They toe the party line because there are still more people that will vote for a party rather than a person. They stand a better chance of living the high life in DC for a few more years if they hang on to the party rather than do what is right. I recently looked at the local races and noticed how many politicians were running unopposed because the area they represent is so entrenched in a particular party there is no sense trying to contend regardless of how wel the incumbent is doing their job. There are similar cases on the national level.

I realize there are some good people in Washington but they are too few to make a difference at this time. Hopefully America will wake up and change the way business is done soon.

Ok... I'm through rambling on. :)

Hey guys, Goose-Gander. If the ACLU can get sued for violating Free Speech in their own org. Then suing a loud mouthed lefty can only do good for the whole world.

OK, Tex.  You stated:
All these Republicans who decry frivolous lawsuits jump on board when one targets a guy they hate.  No hypocrisy here... :rolleyes:

I doubt anyone here knew you were talking about the Free Republic wed-site or Republicans in general when you say (on this board, no less) "All these republicans" as well as "no hypocrisy here." I'm sure you will forgive me for not reading your mind. :roll: I have better things to do in the outside world than troll the message boards to argue Donkey v. Elephant or play the political gotcha game all the time.

That, too, woud explain the fact that I don't have near as many posts in the last 6 months as you, don't have as many posts overall as you and I don't have near the % of posts in the "Politically Speaking Forum." I will admit to having an equal number of posts as you today due to the fact I had a day off from work in the outside world. Half of my posts today have been about something other than politics. But beyond that it woud almost appear that you, my fine Texas friend, do not realize there is a world outside this board much less the internet message boards. ;)

Take care!

238120[/snapback]

Boy, you got me. I average 3.8 post a day and you only have 3.5. And to think, you invested a whole 3 of those replies today trying your hand at "political gotcha" with me on this little off-hand comment. Glad you're making such good use of your day off.

Take care, buddy. See ya out in the world!

238113[/snapback]

I now have past you on the post # for the day! ;)

On a non-sarcastic note...I do think a great number of Republicans are ecstatic. I do think it hypocritical. But both parties are so hypocritical it's not worth the time anymore to try to point them all out.

You know, it's weird. I am extremely unhappy with the R party in office right now. The D party hasn't done anything to make me like them anymore...at all...you get what I'm saying I'm sure. I haven't seen a third party candidate that can win me over as of yet. I feel that our elected officials are more loyal to their parties than to their constituents. They are more interested in fighting amongst each other and too worried about having to move from Washington to worry about what really matters in America right now. They toe the party line because there are still more people that will vote for a party rather than a person. They stand a better chance of living the high life in DC for a few more years if they hang on to the party rather than do what is right. I recently looked at the local races and noticed how many politicians were running unopposed because the area they represent is so entrenched in a particular party there is no sense trying to contend regardless of how wel the incumbent is doing their job. There are similar cases on the national level.

I realize there are some good people in Washington but they are too few to make a difference at this time. Hopefully America will wake up and change the way business is done soon.

Ok... I'm through rambling on. :)

238124[/snapback]

I'll agree...and just leave it there.

:D

OK, Tex.  You stated:

Take care!

238120[/snapback]

Boy, you got me. I average 3.8 post a day and you only have 3.5. And to think, you invested a whole 3 of those replies today trying your hand at "political gotcha" with me on this little off-hand comment. Glad you're making such good use of your day off.

Take care, buddy. See ya out in the world!

238127[/snapback]

Actually until this post we had the same # of posts today but you have about 150 more posts than me overall and more than twice as many posts in PS. But who's counting? :P

When the hell did this turn into a Republican vs. Democrat issue? You guys make it sound W is in one corner backing the plantiff and Dean is in the other backing Moore. Give me a break!

This is about a guy who lost both arms in Iraq suing a fat piece of crap in Hollywood supposedly using video interviews of him illegally to make his movie. A guy who has repeatedly tried to contact Moore before filing a lawsuit but to no avail. Did the guy sign his rights away with NBC? I don't know. We'll find out. But if you ask me, Moore's complete silence and refusal to speak to a man whom he exploited to make his filthy rag of a movie is just screaming that he's guilty. And he doesn't even have to take the doughnut out of his mouth to do it.

Guess I'm just a hypocritical, bandwagon Republican.

Archived