Rating the SEC stadiums

quietfan

And interesting article, but obviously written by a Bammer:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ri...ivals&type=lgns

Bryant-Denny Stadium: Where will it rank in SEC?

By Travis Reier, BamaOnLine.com Senior Editor – Rivals.com

That said, the list I came up with wasn't based solely on steel and concrete. It also takes into account game-day atmosphere and how stadiums tie in with the campuses they're a part of. With that in mind, here's how I see it:

12.) Vanderbilt Stadium (41,203), Vanderbilt --

11.) Davis Wade Stadium (55,082), Mississippi State --

10.) Commonwealth Stadium (67,606), Kentucky --

9.) Vaught-Hemingway Stadium (60,580),Ole Miss --

8.) Williams-Brice Stadium (80,250), South Carolina --

7.) Neyland Stadium (104,079), Tennessee -- The state with the fifth-highest obesity rate in the nation is home to a stadium that has "seats" suited for the Smoothie King crowd. Once you're wedged into your "seat", plan on staying there until the game is over because trips to the facilities are discouraged in this sardine can. The Tennessee River serves as a nice backdrop, but outside of the Vol Navy, it isn't as big a part of the game day experience as you might expect. Neyland loses some of its luster after a few visits, but this massive structure still leaves first-timers in awe.

6.) Jordan-Hare Stadium (87,451), Auburn -- It was here that I came across the most foulmouthed fan I have ever encountered — and her husband was a close second. Solid-if-not-spectacular venue. To the surprise of no one, this place is home to the SEC's top playing surface.

5.) Tiger Stadium (92,400), LSU -- Maybe it's because of all of the construction that has taken place in recent years, but this place rivals Neyland as the most difficult stadium to get in and out of from a foot traffic standpoint. And those who think they can just pass through any gate and find their way to their seats are sadly mistaken. If the stub says to enter gate 10, make it a point enter gate 10 because there isn't a continuous walkway on the lower concourse level. The passion displayed by Tiger fans on Saturday nights (before, during and after games) is what makes this stadium special.

4.) Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (88,548), Florida -- September day games in Gainesville are by far the worst in the conference. The lack of a sea breeze combined with 100 percent humidity helps keep the stadium's emergency personnel busy. And it was much worse before a grass playing surface was installed in 1990. Used to be you could leave the stadium at halftime, hit the watering holes across the street and come back for the second half. To the dismay of thousands, pass outs were eliminated a few years back.

3.) Sanford Stadium (92,746), Georgia -- Sanford offers the total package: Fan comfort, great sightlines and a surprisingly intimate setting for a stadium of its size. Growth is usually a good thing, but it seems to have come at the expense of game day charm where UGA is concerned. A once scenic campus now looks a lot like UAB. Distinguishing feature: the bridge that runs behind the north end zone. The stadium was named in honor of former UGA president Dr. Steadman Vincent Sanford.

2.) Reynolds Razorback Stadium (72,000), Arkansas: Too high? Keep in mind that I'm not factoring in the logistical nightmare that is the trip to Fayetteville. This place benefited greatly from the renovation and expansion project it underwent earlier in the decade, proving that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. There isn't a bad seat in the stadium, and the 30x107-foot LED screen is unmatched in all of sports. The biggest drawback is the hike to and from the stadium. At some point, you're either laboring up a hill or (depending on your blood-alcohol level) trying to keep from rolling down one.

1.) Bryant-Denny Stadium (92,158), Alabama: I'm sure the new features will be great, but here's hoping the hallowed grounds won't take on too much of an NBA or NFL feel. In other words, no Usher or Black Eyed Peas or cuts from Jock Rock Volume 1 during timeouts. The new lighting effects should keep the most novice of fans entertained, and the two 20x34-foot video boards will certainly be welcomed additions. Compared to the LED on steroids at Arkansas, Tide fans have been watching replays on a 12", black and white TV. A plaza leading up to the north end zone entrance will allow fans to cheer on the Tide as it makes its way from the team buses to the home team's spacious new locker room. And it's here where I have my only beef. Do we really have to give "the walk" a name? How about we just call it the "get-off-the-bus-and-walk-to-the stadium walk"? I'm all about forward thinking, but there's nothing new or exciting about these "walks". ("TigerWalk Envy" ?!?) One of the great things about being a storied program is that you don't have to come up with ways to produce an artificial aura of invincibility; something UA's competitors try to create simply by parading their teams through campus on game days. More so than the new bells and whistles, the proximity of the stadium to the heart of campus is what separates it from others

Funny that one bad experience with two foul-mouthed fans brings Jordan-Hare down on his list, yet at LSU "The passion displayed by Tiger fans on Saturday nights (before, during and after games) is what makes this stadium special. " But then, he's a Bama fan.

I doubt any of us will agree with his rankings, but it is a good topic with which to fight the boredom of the off-season (although hardly the first time it's come up). How about some other opinions/lists? [To be honest, I haven't been to any but Jordan-Hare & Bryant-Denny, so I'm not qualified to contribute.]

To the surprise of no one, this place is home to the SEC's top playing surface.

Although it is a really nice surface, I wish we could get rid of the crown and have a totally flat field with a nice drainage system....

To the surprise of no one, this place is home to the SEC's top playing surface.

Although it is a really nice surface, I wish we could get rid of the crown and have a totally flat field with a nice drainage system....

238307[/snapback]

unless its changed in the college game and I missed it, this would be against the rules. The playing rules require the field to have a crown. It may have changed though..

I haven't seen the renovation at Bryant Denny, but the version I saw a few years back was ugly. Definitely not #1 worthy. I have been to and like Sanford Stadium, Benn Hill Griffin Satdium LSU is okay. Inside Jordan-Hare is beautiful, but outside needs alot of work. I know they are currently upgrading the outside of Jordan- Hare and hopefully it will look like the baseball field when done. We need to enclose the endzone closest to Haley Center. That side of the stadium is in rough shape. Take down all of the chainkink fencing please!

He says that gameday atmosphere is included in the ratings... if that's the case, there's no way Alabama is even in the top half. Let's see, what else? He confused LED with LCD (twice!), which is clearly what he meant to say...Yes, he does have Tiger Walk envy. It is one of the most highly-praised and copied traditions there are....umm, Oh yeah! I almost forgot! He mentions that "how stadiums tie in with the campuses they're a part of" is included as part of the rankings. Bryant Denny's surroundings are pretty crappy. I don't really think that he tried to be even partially objective here. He just comes off as a ridiculous homer. And that's ok, because that's what his fanbase wants to read. In actuality, Bryant-Denny can't be any higher than 6th on the list. I don't quite know how I'd rank them, but I wouldn't hesitate in putting LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, and us before them.

He says that gameday atmosphere is included in the ratings... if that's the case, there's no way Alabama is even in the top half.

238316[/snapback]

This is absolutely right. There are no gameday tradishuns at Bammer that compare to even Arkansas (calling the pigs), Auburn (eagle flight), or even the fog horn at Vandy. It is a big, nice stadium where most of their fans don't even know the words to the cheers or the songs. If you count pumping in crowd noise through the jumbo-tron during their pre-game, then this place is mildly exciting at best. There is definitely very little intimidation factor for opponents.

It is one of the most highly-praised and copied traditions there are....umm

It is THE most copied tradition.

In actuality, Bryant-Denny can't be any higher than 6th on the list. I don't quite know how I'd rank them, but I wouldn't hesitate in putting LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, and us before them.

Absolutely right. And come Thursday night, Sept 28, 2006, you can probably put South Carolina up there too. I would put Arkansas ahead of Bammer too, just because I think it is a freakin' cool tradition when 70,000 people stand up and call the hogs.

The pawn shop, bars, and flea market atmosphere underneath Burbon-Denny must score major points in the "gameday atmostphere" column for this homer.

12) Vanderbilt Stadium.

IMHO..one of the easiest stadiums to access and park, in the middle of a historic campus in one of the nation's major metropolitan areas. REAL home fans (mostly alumni), who are truely passionate about their team for the right reasons and respectful and curteous to visiting fans.

The funny thing about this is there is no history at BD stadium. Up until recently they played half their home games in the cesspool called legion field. So, they certainly score no points in this category at all.

More so than the new bells and whistles, the proximity of the stadium to the heart of campus is what separates it from others

How can you get any closer to the heart of campus than Jordan-Hare?

I'm sure that anyone who has ever been to a college football game has run into a drunk and obnoxious fan. Some have more than others. I have a GREAT foul mouthed UA drunk story (it occured at Legion field rather than Bryant-Denny, however). I would say that is a reflection of the fan base, not the stadium

Neyland stadium is the most overated

uat's is nice until you fill it up with their arrogant

fan base, then it becomes the crapper at the crapstone

I have been to 4 or 5 games at BDS, and the only tradition I can recall was hearing tha Bear talking over the loud speaker in the pre-game. I've seen it bring a tear to a grown man's eye (i.e. my father-in-law) during a big game, only for him to turn around and tell me that "This is what Bama football is all about!"

What? A coach that died 25 years ago?

Guys, think about it...JHWest #1...WOW...nice of them to think so highly of us! We're undefeated there!!!

Now the Swamp. That's another story. Need I go on another Swamp bashing tirade about what an overrated DUMP that place is. Now that ranking is a joke.

:au::homer:

I see that this guy is a homer, but I also think it's childish for y'all not to admit that the new BDS will be an awesome stadium.

1183bdu.jpg

2417818420088868859hUQMDf_ph.jpg

It's a decent stadium, but it definitely isn't #1. Having played (band, not football) in every stadium except Kentucky and South Carolina, my #1 would go to LSU hands down as far as atmosphere and all that. Whatever you think of the behavior of some of the fans, that place gets crazy. Plus with all the renovations they are doing, it will just get crazier... if I remember correctly a friend of mine told me that by the time they finish all the upgrades, it is supposed to seat over 100k.

After that I'd probably go with AU (when the team is winning, when they are losing by more than a score everyone sits down and shuts up), then UGA, UF, UAla, UT, UArk, MSU (would be nothing without the friggin' cowbells... they must be Blue Oyster Cult fans), UM, and Vandy, whose stadium has as much atmosphere as the moon. I leave out UK and USC, having not been to those stadiums.

I probably overrated JH, being a homer, but those are my rankings.

More so than the new bells and whistles, the proximity of the stadium to the heart of campus is what separates it from others

How can you get any closer to the heart of campus than Jordan-Hare?

I'm sure that anyone who has ever been to a college football game has run into a drunk and obnoxious fan. Some have more than others. I have a GREAT foul mouthed UA drunk story (it occured at Legion field rather than Bryant-Denny, however). I would say that is a reflection of the fan base, not the stadium

238335[/snapback]

You've obviously never been to a game in tuscaloosa. I mean, they had to tear down a frat house to make room for the expansion. BDS is ON sorority row and 50 yards from the college of communications buildings.

While I definitely wouldnt put AU 6th...i did have a pretty poor experience there this last year. Just because we dont have some type of "Tiger Walk" pregame...doesnt knock us down the list. I think Jordan-Hare is a beautiful structure on the outside, but pretty standard on the inside. Bathrooms and concession areas werent anything to write home about...but not too many stadiums concession areas are.

I think you guys should wait until our rennovations are complete before you start dogging our stadium...which was already pretty kick ass before the rennovations. Then again, I think they should be complete before Travis starts using them as a reason to put us #1.

BG03, the phrase "sorority row" means nothing to them. They don't have any sorority buildings at API do they? The last time I checked, they were all in dorms. Sad.

BG03, the phrase "sorority row" means nothing to them. They don't have any sorority buildings at API do they? The last time I checked, they were all in dorms. Sad.

238422[/snapback]

You know... you come on here and about every other post is a," ok... this post will be nice because I'm such an ass," then you go off on one of your ramblings. Not cool.

238422[/snapback]

You know... you come on here and about every other post is a," ok... this post will be nice because I'm such an ass," then you go off on one of your ramblings. Not cool.

238425[/snapback]

Oh.

They don't have any sorority buildings at API do they? The last time I checked, they were all in dorms. Sad.

238422[/snapback]

Just like a UATer to be living in the past. :rolleyes: Anyone surprised by this? :lol:

BG03, the phrase "sorority row" means nothing to them...The last time I checked, they were all in dorms. Sad.

238422[/snapback]

So, sorority row is a big deal to you, I mean, as far as how nice a campus is? Never crossed my mind (Row v. Dorms) when I was looking into colleges.

Did you suicide your sorority at Bammer? :lol:

They don't have any sorority buildings at API do they? The last time I checked, they were all in dorms. Sad.

238422[/snapback]

Just like a UATer to be living in the past. :rolleyes: Anyone surprised by this? :lol:

BG03, the phrase "sorority row" means nothing to them...The last time I checked, they were all in dorms. Sad.

238422[/snapback]

So, sorority row is a big deal to you, I mean, as far as how nice a campus is? Never crossed my mind (Row v. Dorms) when I was looking into colleges.

Did you suicide your sorority at Bammer? :lol:

238464[/snapback]

Yes, sororities are a big deal with me. Hey, I get to get a free meal there every week with smokin hot girls! Why wouldn't I love sorority row?

As I said earlier, Bryant-Denny is a nice stadium. The new upper deck and cutting edge dual jumbo-trons will be very impressive.

That will mean they can pump TWICE the crowd noise over the sound system during the Bear video in pre-game. As for atmosphere, no. I have been there too many times and seen it with my own eyes. There are no traditions that go on inside or outside that stadium that give you a claim to #1.

I would put Arkansas 72,000 on their feet calling the hogs over you. I would put 87,000 on their feet for the eagle flight over you. I would put Saturday night in Death Valley over you. I would put 84,000 singing We are the Boys at Florida over you.

Your stadium will indeed be a very nice facility. Probably one of the best facilities in the conference.

As I said earlier, Bryant-Denny is a nice stadium.  The new upper deck and cutting edge dual jumbo-trons will be very impressive. 

That will mean they can pump TWICE the crowd noise over the sound system during the Bear video in pre-game.  As for atmosphere, no.  I have been there too many times and seen it with my own eyes.  There are no traditions that go on inside or outside that stadium that give you a claim to #1.

I would put Arkansas 72,000 on their feet calling the hogs over you.  I would put 87,000 on their feet for the eagle flight over you.  I would put Saturday night in Death Valley over you.  I would put 84,000 singing We are the Boys at Florida over you.

Your stadium will indeed be a very nice facility.  Probably one of the best facilities in the conference.

238471[/snapback]

All of the traditions you mentioned are awesome. I agree 100% w/ you. But I think the main reason there is no BDS tradition is that we have just recently started playing decent opponents there. I mean, do you really need an "Tiger Walk" or "Hog Call" to take on mighty Mississippi State. Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, etc were all played at Legion Field b/c BDS wasn't big enough. That'd be my guess.

I'm glad that we're getting up an Elephant Stomp and dropping the team off at a "Plaza of Champions" though. Better now than never.

All of the traditions you mentioned are awesome. I agree 100% w/ you. But I think the main reason there is no BDS tradition is that we have just recently started playing decent opponents there. I mean, do you really need an "Tiger Walk" or "Hog Call" to take on mighty Mississippi State. Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, etc were all played at Legion Field b/c BDS wasn't big enough. That'd be my guess.

I'm glad that we're getting up an Elephant Stomp and dropping the team off at a "Plaza of Champions" though. Better now than never.

238510[/snapback]

The only thing in Tuscaloosa that I can even think of as a BDS tradition would be the team running together after each phase of their warm-up and then running back out to the next phase. This does get the crowd fired up somewhat. But it does not bring every fan together like calling the hogs, etc. does.

First of all, they are giddy about it being so close to the "heart" of campus because over by the graveyard is still 50 miles closer than over on Greymont.

Second, there are a lot of Auburn alums (architects, engineers, and general contractors) who had a hand in the renovation of Auburn's in-state "home away from home". Good thing they teach and understand silly engineering things like statics and strength of materials at API, huh?

This is just blatant homerism, and should be expected. After all, after spending $100M in capital costs to catch up in facilities, those dark pink colored glasses better be working!

Personally, I love the tradition over there, since traditionally 'Bama loses to Auburn in BDS. Here's to tradiiton! :big:

Archived