Restoring the Draft:

Restoring the Draft: The Universal National Service Act of 2006

Restoring the Draft: The Universal National Service Act of 2006

Michel Chossudovsky, GlobalResearch.ca

June 1, 2006

Congressman Charles Rangel, a Democrat (NY), introduced on 14 February 2006 a bill in the US Congress which requires:

"all persons in the United States, including women, between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform a [two year] period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes."

The bill applies to both US citizens and non-citizens, to men and women. There does not appear to be a provision which would exempt women who are pregnant and/or caring for infants/children in a young age.

Neither has it been the object of public debate. The bill has been referred to the House Armed Services Committee. Ironically, in previous discussion leading up the bill, Rangel's initiative to restore the draft was described as "an anti-war tactic".

"Rangel opposes war with Iraq and seeks to make the point that many soldiers are volunteers from low-income and minority families. Political leaders, his reasoning goes, would think twice about sending into war the sons and daughters of a more complete cross-section of America. But whether or not one agrees with Rangel's rationale, many Americans would agree that universal service can be a great leveler and a unifying force in society."

There is no substitute for an all voulnteer armed forces. The people siging up are willing to answer the call of duty. You don't want a bunch of pansies forced to sign up. Just like in sports, you don't want a player on your team that isn't dedicated to their obligation or cause. You don't want the same people defending freedomn either.

This is not a class or race issue, though some politicians would like to make it that. There are other ways for "lower class" individuals to earn a living or get financial aid for school. The GI Bill is not a free ride for the unworthy.

I hope the SOB passes. Then all of you chickenhawk flag-waving Bush supporters can show your resolve by entering the program of your choice. I have finished my contract with the fedrool gubermint. Never to return to the fascist corporate military.

A stop loss order is not voluntary.

4e31-image001.jpg

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,1331..._092704,00.html

I have finished my contract with the fedrool gubermint. Never to return to the fascist corporate military.

238331[/snapback]

Thank God. An event that definitely turned out in favor for the federal government and the U.S. Army.

I would absolutely love to pull your 201 file and see what's inside. I'm willing to bet there are quite a few Article 15's inside for insubordination and conduct unbecoming. I bet you never earned the Good Conduct Medal, did you? And if you did it was more than likely an oversight on the Army's part.

I wish dueling were still legal. I would slap you across the face with a glove so fast your head would spin. You hate America. It is clearly evident. I wish you would just leave my country. I hear Al-Qaeda is hiring.

I have finished my contract with the fedrool gubermint. Never to return to the fascist corporate military.

238331[/snapback]

Thank God. An event that definitely turned out in favor for the federal government and the U.S. Army.

I would absolutely love to pull your 201 file and see what's inside. I'm willing to bet there are quite a few Article 15's inside for insubordination and conduct unbecoming. I bet you never earned the Good Conduct Medal, did you? And if you did it was more than likely an oversight on the Army's part.

I wish dueling were still legal. I would slap you across the face with a glove so fast your head would spin. You hate America. It is clearly evident. I wish you would just leave my country. I hear Al-Qaeda is hiring.

238358[/snapback]

Volunteer or draft, we need better psychological screening to keep the head cases like Liger out.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Liger is not mentally unbalanced. He and I have drank many a beer together. He just enjoys poking a little fun.

Now, about yours and Bottomfeeder's upcoming nuptials...

Back on thread topic, this is a stupid idea. We do not need an army this large and we do not need to spend an average of about $1 million each to train these yahoos and then lose them 2 years later. Rangel is an idiot.

An all volunteer force is the way to go. If low income people don't want to join the military, I see construction crews hiring everyday.

Leave it to a libby like TT to defend the wack job known as Bottomfeeder.

Honestly, I have my doubts the BF even served. If you have views that skewed about the world and the military, why would you have joined to begin with? Does not make any sense, but then again what about BF does. If he joined for the college money, then he is a hypocrite to his own beliefs. His posts are so out there and ignorant, he is the only person on the board that I use the ignore button for. Heck, I don't even ignore TT. :poke:

238331[/snapback]

238358[/snapback]

Captain...I owe you a beer, brother! Well said!

Honestly, I have my doubts the BF even served. If you have views that skewed about the world and the military, why would you have joined to begin with? Does not make any sense, but then again what about BF does. If he joined for the college money, then he is a hypocrite to his own beliefs. His posts are so out there and ignorant, he is the only person on the board that I use the ignore button for. Heck, I don't even ignore TT. :poke:

238372[/snapback]

Capt Liger, though he is a patriot, is young and influential I can tell. The Captain has issues and could not possibly be an Auburn man. And, Liger, if that's really your name, our family has been here since 1635, and my wife's family has been here before history was recorded (Native American). So, Liger tell her to leave wantcha. I wish you would try. Ranger12 must be young too. If either of you guys believe everything they taught you at Auburn as being correct, you are naive. He who controls the state universities controls what is taught.

One doesn't join the military to kill people. Nor do they because they like war, unless they have issues. I joined to serve my country, then saw what was going on and ETSd instead of reupping to become a Cobra pilot. And, ranger 12, I served honorably, turned down West Point, OCS and Med School in Bethesda. I did not want to be an officer, instead I was part of the backbone.

No, I did not receive a good conduct metal and I did receive 2 article 15s while serving. I almost got another article for telling my squad leader, Spec. 5, that he was worthless, which he was. The Battalion commander laughed and tore it up. So yes, I was insubordinate. What most of the people in the military don't realize is they are not really serving the people of this country, and are instead serving the corporations of this country, banking interests, political interests, foreign interests and elitist desires. Under the guise of communism they repressed the people of the US and now under terrorism they are continuing that same repression. If we didn't have an income tax and an inflated currency our lives would be more prosperous. War has always reinforced the social hierarchy. Today, it's inflated monetary policies and deficit spending that continues this decline in our standard of living. It causes a separation between the upper class: the corporate rich all other classes below that .01%. Most people don't see it, but that's okay. It's more of knowing how to play it financially that really matters to us have-nots.

Get your war face own for Bolivia, Venezuela and Iran. Our government knows not how to govern, but only how to destroy.

the US class structure

c. The middle class: clerical / sales

These are the 'white collar' lower middle management type people, the solid middle class. Occupations tend to be those of teacher, lower level management and so forth. Education is often limited to state colleges and universities, possibly community colleges.

The members of this class do most of the work of the society, manage much of the low level sectors of the organizations. They are often quite conservative and very active in their religious communities. Today this group is a mixed bag, often including the small business owner and family farmer. Individuals in these last two groupings often feel threatened by the changes in the society and by large corporations, government and business.

The working class: skilled and unskilled

The lower class: the poor / an underclass?

http://carbon.cudenver.edu/public/sociolog...cs/topic4c.html

What will  be  provided  in  this  brief  thesis, is an

appreciation for  Nicaragua's  history,  U.S.  presence, the

rise  and  maintenance  of  a  43  year  Somoza  dynasty,  a

revolution, a  CIA  backed insurgency, and potential options

for conflict resolution.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/lib...rt/1984/WJW.htm

The library is the place to be. It was the place for me while serving.

Liger is not mentally unbalanced.  He and I have drank many a beer together.  He just enjoys poking a little fun. 

238366[/snapback]

All that proves is that you are not at all picky about whom who drink with. Liger has the mentality that leads to incidents like Haditha.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Liger is not mentally unbalanced.  He and I have drank many a beer together.  He just enjoys poking a little fun. 

238366[/snapback]

All that proves is that you are not at all picky about whom who drink with. Liger has the mentality that leads to incidents like Haditha.

238383[/snapback]

It is irresponsible to make comments like that, based on a person's musings on a political board in a college football forum.

None of you know me, him, ranger, or each other, I would surmise. Most of the comments made on here are tongue in cheek, at best.

I know the young man and he is much more soft spoken in reality, with a good head on his shoulders.

238366[/snapback]

238383[/snapback]

It is irresponsible to make comments like that, based on a person's musings on a political board in a college football forum.

None of you know me, him, ranger, or each other, I would surmise. Most of the comments made on here are tongue in cheek, at best.

I know the young man and he is much more soft spoken in reality, with a good head on his shoulders.

238391[/snapback]

He represents himself as he chooses and I respond to the person he wishes to project himself to be. I suspect that image reflects his deepest feelings, since I am hardly talking about an isolated comment. So you are saying he isn't responsible for how he presents himself, but I am responsible for responding to what he choose to represent. More conservative "accountability."

238331[/snapback]

238358[/snapback]

Volunteer or draft, we need better psychological screening to keep the head cases like Liger out.

238364[/snapback]

Like I said, Al-Qaeda is hiring. I'm sure you too could be of some use to them.

Meanwhile, back to the original topic:

Congressman Charles Rangel, a Democrat (NY), introduced on 14 February 2006 a bill in the US Congress which requires:

"all persons in the United States, including women, between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform a [two year] period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes."

238321[/snapback]

Civilian or military service, I don't know that we could find enough work/positions for EVERY person in the U.S. As Tigrinum points out--it's probably not cost effective to spend time training people for military or civilian duties only to get less than two years productivity out of them after training. And if you don't train them, are there enough unskilled positions out there to absorb every person in the U.S.? What are you going to do, pay armies of people to pick up trash on the highway? Plus, sounds like this commits the government to feed and house every person in the country for a 2-year period of their life. Talk about government spending and a "welfare" state!

As far as the military itself, does anyone there actually want a draft? I was under the impression that the powers-that-be at the Pentagon prefer the skilled, professional, highly trained and motivated force they get from an all-volunteer force. I don't recall reading any significant calls from inside the armed forces for a new draft, but I could be wrong.

To be honest, I suspect this bill was intended more as political statement (as the article says, an anti-war ploy?) than a serious program. I note that it was introduced back in February and apparently hasn't gone anywhere since. And I don't imagine it will go anywhere.

238372[/snapback]

Capt Liger, though he is a patriot, is young and influential I can tell. The Captain has issues and could not possibly be an Auburn man. And, Liger, if that's really your name, our family has been here since 1635, and my wife's family has been here before history was recorded (Native American). So, Liger tell her to leave wantcha. I wish you would try. Ranger12 must be young too. If either of you guys believe everything they taught you at Auburn as being correct, you are naive. He who controls the state universities controls what is taught.

One doesn't join the military to kill people. Nor do they because they like war, unless they have issues. I joined to serve my country, then saw what was going on and ETSd instead of reupping to become a Cobra pilot. And, ranger 12, I served honorably, turned down West Point, OCS and Med School in Bethesda. I did not want to be an officer, instead I was part of the backbone.

No, I did not receive a good conduct metal and I did receive 2 article 15s while serving. I almost got another article for telling my squad leader, Spec. 5, that he was worthless, which he was. The Battalion commander laughed and tore it up. So yes, I was insubordinate. What most of the people in the military don't realize is they are not really serving the people of this country, and are instead serving the corporations of this country, banking interests, political interests, foreign interests and elitist desires. Under the guise of communism they repressed the people of the US and now under terrorism they are continuing that same repression. If we didn't have an income tax and an inflated currency our lives would be more prosperous. War has always reinforced the social hierarchy. Today, it's inflated monetary policies and deficit spending that continues this decline in our standard of living. It causes a separation between the upper class: the corporate rich all other classes below that .01%. Most people don't see it, but that's okay. It's more of knowing how to play it financially that really matters to us have-nots.

Get your war face own for Bolivia, Venezuela and Iran. Our government knows not how to govern, but only how to destroy.

the US class structure

These are the 'white collar' lower middle management type people, the solid middle class. Occupations tend to be those of teacher, lower level management and so forth. Education is often limited to state colleges and universities, possibly community colleges.

The members of this class do most of the work of the society, manage much of the low level sectors of the organizations. They are often quite conservative and very active in their religious communities. Today this group is a mixed bag, often including the small business owner and family farmer. Individuals in these last two groupings often feel threatened by the changes in the society and by large corporations, government and business.

for conflict resolution.

238376[/snapback]

No, I did not receive a good conduct metal and I did receive 2 article 15s while serving.

238376[/snapback]

When I read this it was like the heavens opened up and a badly needed revelation was given. I know your type. You are not to be listened to. There's really no reason to respond to you anymore but, dang it, that just wouldn't be as much fun.

I am young (27) but not so much influential. There was a day when I was easily influenced by people I thought wiser than myself. But that all ended the day I saw a soldier who was a friend of mine get his head literally blown off. Reality has a way of doing that to you.

My family (my surname) has been here since 1766. My g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather emigrated here from England that year and also fought in the Revolutionary War in Virginia. After the war he helped blaze a path for settlers from Virginia to Alabama. He's now buried just outside Huntsville. EVERY subsequent generation, including myself, has served in some capacity and/or fought in every war this country has been engaged in with the U.S. Army. And I don't have any issue with your wife, she's not on here saying asinine things. But if you must know, my g-g-g-grandmother was 100% Cherokee Indian so I guess I have an in there as well. <insert sound of deflating balloon> Since my family literally helped to secure the independence of this country and I am carrying on a tradition started by my g6-grandfather over 200 years ago, then I feel that I have somewhat earned the right to tell you and every other sissy, tree hugging, I hate America liberal to get out or go to hell. I may be wrong but I don't think I am.

So you believe everything being taught at Auburn and in every other university across the nation is a pack of lies? LOL. Ok.

I joined the military because I wanted to be part of something bigger than myself. And the Army IS bigger than myself. I have the honor of carrying on what so many others before me started. To do a job that really matters and that makes a positive difference on a daily basis. I didn't join with the ambition of firing my weapon in anger although I have and I will again if need be. I didn't join for the money, the medals, the pomp and circumstance. I don't know why you joined but it wasn't for the reasons above. You have no sense of what selfless service is and you have made that abundantly clear. I suppose when you were a young, smartmouth E3 or E4 you had it all figured out. You figured you could be doing a better job than your company commander and all the other NCO's and officers over you. Instead working your way to put yourself in a position to change what you thought was wrong you instead quit under the guise of "I saw the writing on the wall." In reality, you didn't have much of an idea of what was going on past the company training calendar. E3s and 4s don't have much of an idea period as to what is going on past platoon and company level because their mind is geared towards the weekend and how much beer they can drink and whatever whorish piece of ass they can bang on their free time. And let's get one thing straight here: You DIDN'T turn down West Point. If you really did apply then the truth of the matter is, THEY turned down YOU. West Point is the hardest school in the nation to get in to and they absolutely will not give second thought to a candidate who has two Article 15's in their file. I imagine the lack of a GCM raised some eyebrows as well. My application to them in 1996 was flawless (I also had a nomination from then Sen. Howell Heflin) and I didn't get in because my ACT score wasn't high enough for them so spare me the "I turned down USMA" bullsh*t. I suppose next you'll be telling us that you won the CMH putting out a grease fire whilst on KP duty. You, sir, are a liar.

The rest of your comments.....blah, blah, blah, blah. Christ, I just don't have the strength to carry on. It's Sunday for crying out loud. This is supposed to be a day of rest.

238372[/snapback]

the US class structure

for conflict resolution.

238376[/snapback]

No, I did not receive a good conduct metal and I did receive 2 article 15s while serving.

238376[/snapback]

When I read this it was like the heavens opened up and a badly needed revelation was given. I know your type. You are not to be listened to. There's really no reason to respond to you anymore but, dang it, that just wouldn't be as much fun.

I am young (27) but not so much influential. There was a day when I was easily influenced by people I thought wiser than myself. But that all ended the day I saw a soldier who was a friend of mine get his head literally blown off. Reality has a way of doing that to you.

My family (my surname) has been here since 1766. My g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather emigrated here from England that year and also fought in the Revolutionary War in Virginia. After the war he helped blaze a path for settlers from Virginia to Alabama. He's now buried just outside Huntsville. EVERY subsequent generation, including myself, has served in some capacity and/or fought in every war this country has been engaged in with the U.S. Army. And I don't have any issue with your wife, she's not on here saying asinine things. But if you must know, my g-g-g-grandmother was 100% Cherokee Indian so I guess I have an in there as well. <insert sound of deflating balloon> Since my family literally helped to secure the independence of this country and I am carrying on a tradition started by my g6-grandfather over 200 years ago, then I feel that I have somewhat earned the right to tell you and every other sissy, tree hugging, I hate America liberal to get out or go to hell. I may be wrong but I don't think I am.

So you believe everything being taught at Auburn and in every other university across the nation is a pack of lies? LOL. Ok.

I joined the military because I wanted to be part of something bigger than myself. And the Army IS bigger than myself. I have the honor of carrying on what so many others before me started. To do a job that really matters and that makes a positive difference on a daily basis. I didn't join with the ambition of firing my weapon in anger although I have and I will again if need be. I didn't join for the money, the medals, the pomp and circumstance. I don't know why you joined but it wasn't for the reasons above. You have no sense of what selfless service is and you have made that abundantly clear. I suppose when you were a young, smartmouth E3 or E4 you had it all figured out. You figured you could be doing a better job than your company commander and all the other NCO's and officers over you. Instead working your way to put yourself in a position to change what you thought was wrong you instead quit under the guise of "I saw the writing on the wall." In reality, you didn't have much of an idea of what was going on past the company training calendar. E3s and 4s don't have much of an idea period as to what is going on past platoon and company level because their mind is geared towards the weekend and how much beer they can drink and whatever whorish piece of ass they can bang on their free time. And let's get one thing straight here: You DIDN'T turn down West Point. If you really did apply then the truth of the matter is, THEY turned down YOU. West Point is the hardest school in the nation to get in to and they absolutely will not give second thought to a candidate who has two Article 15's in their file. I imagine the lack of a GCM raised some eyebrows as well. My application to them in 1996 was flawless (I also had a nomination from then Sen. Howell Heflin) and I didn't get in because my ACT score wasn't high enough for them so spare me the "I turned down USMA" bullsh*t. I suppose next you'll be telling us that you won the CMH putting out a grease fire whilst on KP duty. You, sir, are a liar.

The rest of your comments.....blah, blah, blah, blah. Christ, I just don't have the strength to carry on. It's Sunday for crying out loud. This is supposed to be a day of rest.

238440[/snapback]

West Point was offered in basic training. I won battalion commander's orderly in basic out 300 soldiers I was the best. LTC at Ft. Dix offer it and OCS and ask me about ROTC, I said did want to be an officer. Officers have lifetime commitment to the military, to which I not interested.

There are more important things to do besides killing innocent men, women and children.

Here look at what we do, we celebrate life, not death from above. We don't make a career out of destruction we save lives. You know that's what medics do.

These are feral strays, there mother's sleeping in the left top corner (hard to see). She's not feral, but still a stray or abandon. I should have been a veterinarian.

KittyKitty2006Strays5.JPG

I hope the SOB passes. Then all of you chickenhawk flag-waving Bush supporters can show your resolve by entering the program of your choice. I have finished my contract with the fedrool gubermint. Never to return to the fascist corporate military.

4e31-image001.jpg

238331[/snapback]

For the record, I tried twice and was DQed twice due to health issues. And you wishes don't change the truth of my post regarding an "All Volunteer Army."

Are you saying, for the sake of politics, that you would rather have a military of forced service over one of those willing to serve?

4e31-image001.jpg

238331[/snapback]

For the record, I tried twice and was DQed twice due to health issues. And you wishes don't change the truth of my post regarding an "All Volunteer Army."

Are you saying, for the sake of politics, that you would rather have a military of forced service over one of those willing to serve?

238456[/snapback]

In many respects, the volunteer force is preferred. But most Americans don't have to actively weigh the cost of committing troops to war with a volunteer force and thus there is no "shared sacrifice" as there has been with previous engagements of significant length or troop level. And, stop loss, is hardly "volunteer". If we are going to commit ourselves to lengthy engagements requiring significant troop levels, we need a full-time army of adequate size so that the troops we do have get more of a break than they are getting now. And all Americans need to weigh the cost of war. In WWII, the draft worked. In Viet Nam, there were too many ways out of it for the privileged. If we have a draft, there should be no deferments. Politicians that commit troops to war should be committing their own kids and grandkids. That is not the the case with this war, and the strongest supporters among politicians and pundits are those that never served.

4e31-image001.jpg

238331[/snapback]

238456[/snapback]

No, I just believe everyone should serve their country for two years. Maybe it'll change the way they see the political process and give them a dose of reality at the same time. It'll take the chickhawk out of them and the only thing left will be the real them. When your in an infantry unit and you go on alert for real the mind does a lot of things. If you do deploy and see combat, most of the time you will possibly come back a liberal. When someone dies right in front of you it changes you inside. Just ask Bush, he has been to war. :roflol:

BF is a complete whacko and idiot and it does no good to debate with him because he ain't right in the head. It blows my mind that TexasTiger will actually ally with him, which just hurts his credibility in the political forum when he does that. Damn, I miss TigerAl.

BF is a complete whacko and idiot and it does no good to debate with him because he ain't right in the head. It blows my mind that TexasTiger will actually ally with him, which just hurts his credibility in the political forum when he does that. Damn, I miss TigerAl.

238489[/snapback]

I'm expressing my own thoughts. You can't see that. But just because someone might hold a similar opinion on some topic doesn't mean they are "allying" with you. This is a discussion board. Some people discusss. I miss Tiger Al, too, though. And Titan.

P.S. I think Bush made a good choice for Sec. of Treasury, but please don't accuse me of being "allied" with Shrub.

Archived