Official MLB Bitch and Moan thread

Jenny AU-92

Ho-hum, the horrible Braves are now only 5 GB of the wild card. Granted our starting rotation is now Smoltz, Hudson, Kevin Barry, Chuck James, and Lance Cormier. Geh.

8.5 if you consider that STL won't win their division.

Will you finally agree with me that the NL Central is the weakest division in baseball over the last .. 10 years?

The Cubs have had one playoff appearance and, in many seasons, have stunk after injuries.

The Cardinals have one WS appearance. Clearly the leader of the group, they get a lot of cheap wins by beating up on the Cubs, Brewers, and Pirates for 35 wins/season.

The Brewers have no playoff appearances. This year, they can't win outside Miller Park.

The Pirates are the NL's version of the Royals.. now, they can be known as the Mets' AAA teams for all the trades they make.

The Astros have no world series appearances.. always a solid team, never good enough to get over the hump.

The Reds have no playoff appearances (I don't think) .. they're normally a middle-of-the-pack team that never ever has starting pitching, and will never be that great because the ballpark they play in is such a bandbox that they will generally always play .500 ball at home.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will you finally agree with me that the NL Central is the weakest division in baseball over the last .. 10 years?

The Cubs have had one playoff appearance and, in many seasons, have stunk after injuries.

The Cardinals have one WS appearance. Clearly the leader of the group, they get a lot of cheap wins by beating up on the Cubs, Brewers, and Pirates for 35 wins/season.

The Brewers have no playoff appearances. This year, they can't win outside Miller Park.

The Pirates are the NL's version of the Royals.. now, they can be known as the Mets' AAA teams for all the trades they make.

The Astros have no world series appearances.. always a solid team, never good enough to get over the hump.

The Reds have no playoff appearances (I don't think) .. they're normally a middle-of-the-pack team that never ever has starting pitching, and will never be that great because the ballpark they play in is such a bandbox that they will generally always play .500 ball at home.

For this year, yes. For the last 10? Not so sure.

Houston went to the world series last season. Won the wild card the past two years.

St Louis, one WS appearance, NLCS in 05, 04, 02, 2000, 1996. Counting Houston (x2) and Chicago, that's 8 teams out of a possible 20 that have made the NLCS the past 10 years.

In that same time, NL East has 9 (ATL has 5, FLA has 2, NYM has 2). NL West has 3, SF, AZ, and SD. Based on those numbers, I'd say that the west looks weaker, of course, AZ won the World Series, which is more than the NL Central can say.

As far as cheap wins go. Can't argue there. Clearly, Pittsburgh = Montreal/Washington in terms of basements teams. Chicago always seems to beat St Louis though. Over the past two season, STL mark against playoff teams in the regular season is:

Houston 8-10

LA 4-2

ATL 4-2

16-14 against the best in the NL

Houston 11-5

SD 3-4

ATL 3-3

17 - 12 against the best in the NL

But this year, yes, the NL central stinks.

Outside of the Mets, you could pretty much take out the "Central" part of that last statement.

The Mets could be the only team in the NL to win even 90 games this season (21-27 would do it)...the Cardinals will have to go 28-19 to hit 90 and the Dodgers will have to go 30-16.

Care to take a stab at the NL team who had the best interleague record this year? How 'bout the Colorado Rockies (11-4). Only TWO National League teams had a winning record in interleague play this year, the other being San Francisco (8-7).

Pit...i...ful.

Jenny, would you please give the Cardinals a good verbal lashing. You're much better than I.

And I'm calling it today, Houston will win the Central. Cincy will fade after they take 2 of 3 against STL this week. Sigh....

The way my luck is going, WSU is going to smack Auburn around too. :(

Jenny, would you please give the Cardinals a good verbal lashing. You're much better than I.

And I'm calling it today, Houston will win the Central. Cincy will fade after they take 2 of 3 against STL this week. Sigh....

Always remember jarhead, it could be worse. You could be a FREAKIN' CUBS fan.

:dead:

I'm done with the lot of them. Every last stinking useless team. Not one team in the NL deserves to go to the WS except MAYBE the Mets. Certainly no one in the Central.

They can ALL go hang.

Bastidges.

Or a Braves fan. The one freakin' year we were good, the Cubs knocked us out with two pitchers.

Or a Braves fan. The one freakin' year we were good, the Cubs knocked us out with two pitchers.

And obviously killed both of their arms in the process. <_<

Side note: Prior had a hangnail over the weekend and is now on the 15 day DL.

Meanwhile, Chipper homers three times tonight, Matt Diaz breaks an Atlanta record, ties an NL-record with 10 straight hits (not in one game), and the Braves whoop up on the Nationals 10-4, and their brilliant skipper Frank Robinson, who pitched around LaRoche once and intentionally walked him twice more to get to Diaz. They never, however, pitched around Diaz, batting 8th, to get to Chuck James, who has 0 hits in his ML career.

I would make too much sense to be a manager, I guess.

Braves are now 5.5 GB of the WC, where we've been for two years it seems. @ Nats, @ Marlins for 3 each, we need desperately to go 4-2 minimum.

Well, the Cards fate in the NL Central will be decided over the next 9 games.

3 vs Cincy

3 @ Chi Cubs

3 @ Mets

We really need to go 6-3, but I just don't think the team has it in them. As much as I have a mancrush on Pujols, I don't think he's a real leader in the clubhouse. In past seasons (as long as AP has been on the team anyway), when things have gone bad, the Cardinals have had vets like Will Clark, Tino Martinez, and Reggie Sanders as a voice of reason in the clubhouse. This is Albert's team, and I don't believe he's being vocal in the clubhouse.

Now, I'm not expecting a Major League II meltdown "Good news, Cards fans, the Cardinals are showing signs of life for the first time in weeks. Albert Pujols, attempting to hit Jason Marquis. And why not? Everyone else in the National League has..." But it would be nice to hear about some chairs being thrown in the clubhouse. Maybe see Tony LaRussa pull a Lou Pinella tonight, and eject an umpire. Something like that.

Sigh.

Carp finally pitched like he deserved the Cy Young last year. CG 4 hit shutout.

And after that, I switched over to the Cubs/Astros game, just in time to watch Lidge give up a homer. Thanks, Brad, you big jerk.

And, apologies to a STL blog I saw this on, but I had to modify for Jenny. Hope it cheers you up!

lidgemathtm1.jpg

And I can't get the picture to post. Sorry Jenny, PM me your email address and I'll send it to ya...

Edit, there we go. Enjoy!

OK Jenny, one more time...

:nanner::nanner:

I will withhold the third nanner because I am positive that I just jinxed the Cubbies with these.

If the FREAKIN CUBS could play the bottomfeeders as well as they do St. Louis and Houston, they would have a better record than the Mets this year.

This morning it was announced that Garner had "Officially" removed Lidge as the closer, but he may still see some use in middle relief. What, he can only frick up a game in the ninth inning, but he won't give up hit after hit in the seventh and eighth? Roundrock his ass. NOW.

And yeah, let'e be sure and keep Berkman, the ONLY bright spot in this ENTIRE suckfest of a season, out in right field so he has to run around on that surgically repaired knee. Never mind that he is a stellar first baseman, that Mike Lamb is as incompetent at third as he is at first, and didn't Huff get brought in as a split time between third and right? Purpura gets a PAYCHECK for this?

Done. I am done. DONE, I tell you. D-O-N-FREAKING-E.

DONE.

Nobody better talk to me today. I mean nobody. And I turned it off in the 11th.

You can all kiss my ass. Shove that nanner where the sun don't shine, cubbie boy. Be glad you are in the STL or them meatballs would have to be surgically removed, redbird boy.

Bastidges.

I hope the Cubs got all their winning out this week. Sorry about your Stros, Jenny...

The Astros are a never-ending source of amazement and borderline schadenfreude for me...I was listening on the radio (that's when I know I am bored beyond all comprehension) and you could just hear the disgust in Milo Hamilton's voice as Murton's 9th inning HR went into the Crawford boxes. I stretched out in bed about the 14th inning and just listened to inning after inning go by.

Then today...a 1-0 shutout to a kid who was a .500 pitcher IN AAA BALL. You have reached the platinum level of suck at that point.

57-63...26 of the final 42 are on the road.

Time to piss on the campfire and call in the dogs.

The Disastros are like a horrific car wreck between an 18 wheeler and a Yugo - blood and guts everywhere, yet you can't avert your eyes... :violin:

The fat lady is definitely clearing her throat...

A dominant effort by Oscar Villareal :blink: and we shut out the Natspos 5-0.

Only a series sweep of the Marlins will hold our fading WC hopes alive. The Braves, somehow, are still only 5.5 back and can find only 5 teams ahead of them in the WC by the conclusion of play tomorrow.

And the potent Cardinal attack heads to the NorthSide tomorrow, where we carry an impressive 0forChicago on the year. Please, Dusty, be gentle!!!

And the potent Cardinal attack heads to the NorthSide tomorrow, where we carry an impressive 0forChicago on the year. Please, Dusty, be gentle!!!

Here Jarhead, I will help.

The Cubbies are gonna tear the RedBirds a new one. The only time it will be close an any of the three will be the top of the first in each.

Pujols will go O'fer for the weekend and Izzy won't even get to warm up...

:big:

Izzy won't even get to warm up...

What? No blown saves??? ;)

Izzy won't even get to warm up...

What? No blown saves??? ;)

Methinks "Lose "em In the Ninth" Lidge has a corner on THAT freaking market. :angry:

Oooooo, we beat the mighty Beer Drinkers last night. Huzzah for us... :no:

Blown Saves:

Lidge (26 out of 31) - 5 Blown Saves

Izzy (29 out of 37) - 8 Blown Saves

Advantage Izzy

ERA:

Lidge 5.70

Izzy 3.02

Advantage Lidge

Home Runs Allowed:

Lidge 8

Izzy 8

Draw

Innings Pitched:

Lidge 53.2

Izzy 50.2

Advantage Izzy

Ks:

Lidge 77

Izzy 47

Advantage Izzy

BBs:

Lidge 29

Izzy 33

Advantage Izzy

Earned Runs:

Lidge 34

Izzy 17

Advantage Lidge

Hits:

Lidge 51

Izzy 35

Advantage Lidge

So, in terms of suckness, Izzy leads 4-3-1. And yes, I'm bored today. :)

Archived