Southern Hospitality

Bottomfeeder

Where did the "Yes, Sir" "No, Sir" "Yes, Ma'am" "No, Ma'am" originate. Was it before or after slavery in the south? I believe it's a french term used meaning "my lady" and was carried over into southern dialect. I no longer use them, eventhough I was reared to, because I associate it with the slavery era of the south.

WTH are you talking about? As far as I know it came from early 18th century France. They didnt even have slaves. They did have the very poor. But the terms were almost exclusively used by the Gentry and when referring to those in the King's Court.

To use it with a commoner was considered a slap at the King.

I use the terms to be polite and could care less where they came from. If it hurts the sensibilities of you or any other panty waist, then you can kiss where the sun does not shine.

How was that for polite?

What a putz! It came along long before the "South" was even the "South." It was used in Europe to show respect as it is now. It has nothing to do with slavery much less the slavery era in the South.

BTW, slavery was not only in the South.

What a putz!  It came along long before the "South" was even the "South."   It was used in Europe to show respect as it is now.  It has nothing to do with slavery much less the slavery era in the South.

243148[/snapback]

So, I still associate it with slavery, because slaves had to address their masters as "Yes sir, masser." Remember the movie Roots?

I love how the rest of the U.S. rips the south every chance they get for being racist or prejudiced or whatever, but they never read up on their own state history. Most people who came to America were discriminated against in the early days and when they got here it did not change. Many groups of people were persecuted in New York and other cities in the northeast during America's youth. The Northwest and Rocky mountain areas have very few African Americans living there to this day. As we all know, Native Americans were treated horribly by the U.S. government. If you think about all of the major racial incidents that have occurred in the last 25 years, most were not in the south. Yet, the south continues to be made fun of and labeled as ignorant and uneducated. I believe the south has learned to tolerate better than other areas of the country because of our history. We have come a long way and he rest of the country needs to back off because they are being hypocrites.

I love how the rest of the U.S.  rips the south every chance they get for being racist or prejudiced or whatever, but they never read up on their own state history.  Most people who came to America were discriminated against in the early days and when they got here it did not change.  Many groups of people were persecuted in New York and other cities in the northeast during America's youth.  The Northwest and Rocky mountain areas have very few African Americans living there to this day.  As we all know, Native Americans were treated horribly by the U.S. government.  If you think about all of the major racial incidents that have occurred in the last 25 years, most were not in the south.  Yet, the south continues to be made fun of and labeled as ignorant and uneducated.  I believe the south has learned to tolerate better than other areas of the country because of our history.  We have come a long way and he rest of the country needs to back off because they are being hypocrites.

243247[/snapback]

Well said. I agree. The most racist person I've ever met in my life was a Jew from Long Island. :blink:

The state that still holds the record for the largest membership in Klan? Yeah, the great state of Ohio. And if I'm not mistaken, coming in second is Illinois.

A lot of people want to label the Confederate battle flag as a racist emblem because of the Klan. Guess what? Before the Klan started carrying it guess what flag they carried in all their rallies and marches? It wasn't the Stars and Bars, that's for sure.

What a putz!  It came along long before the "South" was even the "South."   It was used in Europe to show respect as it is now.  It has nothing to do with slavery much less the slavery era in the South.

243148[/snapback]

So, I still associate it with slavery, because slaves had to address their masters as "Yes sir, masser." Remember the movie Roots?

243203[/snapback]

Well...you could associate "white people" with slavery in that they owned slaves...do you choose not to associate with them either?

I associate taxes with slavery...so do i not need to pay taxes anymore?

Bottomfeeder used the word slavery...does that mean i can start ignoring him now?

Man that has got to be the most asinine thing youve ever posted. "i dont want to be polite because slaves had to be polite"

243148[/snapback]

243203[/snapback]

Well...you could associate "white people" with slavery in that they owned slaves...do you choose not to associate with them either?

I associate taxes with slavery...so do i not need to pay taxes anymore?

Bottomfeeder used the word slavery...does that mean i can start ignoring him now?

Man that has got to be the most asinine thing youve ever posted. "i dont want to be polite because slaves had to be polite"

243264[/snapback]

You associate taxes with slavery because as a modern day Republican you think you deserve a free ride-- free military, free wars, etc. You want the biggest military in the world, but you don't won't to pay the tab.

WTH are you talking about? As far as I know it came from early 18th century France. They didnt even have slaves. They did have the very poor. But the terms were almost exclusively used by the Gentry and when referring to those in the King's Court.

To use it with a commoner was considered a slap at the King.

243136[/snapback]

Do you guys know that the term "Continental" is still a term of derision in some Brit circles? When Edsel Ford brought out the first Lincoln Continental, it was kind of a back handed slap at the Brits. It was taking their put down and making it into a big plus, a top of the line (then) luxury car.

It is kind of like calling our Hidden Forum the Barn. We are making a point about how silly the folks in red are about referring to us as the Barn.

I hope I made that clear...

Where did the "Yes, Sir"  "No, Sir"  "Yes, Ma'am" "No, Ma'am" originate. Was it before or after slavery in the south? I believe it's a french term used meaning "my lady" and was carried over into southern dialect. I no longer use them, eventhough I was reared to, because I associate it with the slavery era of the south.

243130[/snapback]

Yep. you're right...

And PicNic came from the act of white folks getting together to buy slaves and shortening the term from pick a ni$$er to Pic Nic. You're a dunderhead BF. You must get your history form the same black female campus leader from Atlanta that made the statement above....

Where did the "Yes, Sir"  "No, Sir"  "Yes, Ma'am" "No, Ma'am" originate. Was it before or after slavery in the south? I believe it's a french term used meaning "my lady" and was carried over into southern dialect. I no longer use them, eventhough I was reared to, because I associate it with the slavery era of the south.

243130[/snapback]

Yep. you're right...

And PicNic came from the act of white folks getting together to buy slaves and shortening the term from pick a ni$$er to Pic Nic. You're a dunderhead BF. You must get your history form the same black female campus leader from Atlanta that made the statement above....

243279[/snapback]

A dunderhead. Yea, right. In your dreams maybe. Dunderheads don't profit from others' mistakes. Dunderheads don't think about things like this, they just do what they are told by man. Dunderheads don't know God.

You associate taxes with slavery because as a modern day Republican you think you deserve a free ride-- free military, free wars, etc. You want the biggest military in the world, but you don't won't to pay the tab.

Man you have to turn everything into a left/right thing. Even though you KNOW what he posted was ridiculous...you defend it in a round about manner by your comments.

I picked taxes because it was the most arbitrary thing i could think of. Its the same as me picking grass or dirt. There was no politcal agenda there.

Man you need to get hold of that edge...

243312[/snapback]

That reminds me of a quote from Jack Nicholson that would fit perfectly in this situation:

You're gonna need a lot of drinks...To Kill the bug you have up your a**.
:lol:

Man you have to turn everything into a left/right thing. Even though you KNOW what he posted was ridiculous...you defend it in a round about manner by your comments.

I picked taxes because it was the most arbitrary thing i could think of. Its the same as me picking grass or dirt. There was no politcal agenda there.

243312[/snapback]

Nice try. Taxes is one of your biggest axes that you grind on this board. You associate "dirt" with slavery? Gimme a break. I didn't even reference the original post. I responded to yours.

Honestly, Taxes were the first thing I could pull out of my rear. Completely arbitrary.

I do have a huge problem with the way taxes are handled in America...but that has nothing to do with my rebuttal in this case.

Archived