What is a successful season for Auburn fans?

tigerfan1234

I am not from Alabama so my view of the Iron Bowl is a little watered down compared to you native Alabamians. My question is would you really consider it a successful season to go 1-10/1-11, but beat Bama? I notice that Auburn people seem to focus too much on Bama. Don't get me wrong, beating Bama is great, but I would much rather lose to Bama every year, go 10-1/11-1 win SEC championships and be in major bowl games. We have beaten them 32 times. We have never won a BCS national championship or been consensus national champions. I want that title bad. Please don't jump all over me on this one. It is a valid question and I am asking it because Auburn is capable of being a national power every year and I believe we are ready to step onto the national stage.

Depends from season to season...

For this upcoming season I'll be happy with 10 wins, and very very happy with an SEC championship.

However, if we only get 8 or 9, I will not be calling for Tuberville's head. But I will be dissapointed in the season.

With the new 12 game schedule, I think either beating 3 out of 4 of UGA, Florida, LSU, Alabama and losing one we shouldn't....or beating 2 out of those 4 and taking care of every other game =having a 10-2 regular season would be good.

With the addition of an extra game this season, I think with our schedule, we need to atleast win 10 games. We have an experienced quarterback, runningback, and our defense looks to be in good shape. The postions I have concerns about are the offensive line and receivers. I do think we should have a strong team and should not only compete for the championship. Why expect anything less?

Year in and year out...

I expect for us to win 9 plus games every year. It is expectable for us to have a 7-8 win season every 4-5 years so it is allowable while painful. On the other end, I do not think it is too much to expect us to be in the National Title hunt every four years. Even if it is like it was in 04 where we deserved a shot and didn't get it atleast we were in the discussion. That means a SEC championship at least every 4 years (but more like an average of one every 3.3 years). We should appear in the SEC championship game 2-3 times out of every 4-5 years atleast. We should beat UAT 3 out of every four years on average and beat UGA and LSU the same. I can live with letting those guys beat us once every four years! I think all that would mean we were the most dominating SEC over a 12-16 year span, winning 5+ SEC titles and competing for 3-4 MNCs. That is where i would like to see our program. I think Nebraska's run from 1980-2000 is the gold standard for modern college dominance.

This year...

With our team anything less than 10-2 and a SEC champ appearance will be a dissapointment to me.

SEC title would be great.

If Auburn were to finish 1-10 with a victory over Alabama, I would not consider it a successful season. It would be a very bright spot for an otherwise awful season. On the other hand I would not be content with a 12-1 SEC championship season (or by some miracle national championship season) if that one loss was to bammer. The only way I would be content if it were a situation like Florida and Florida St. in 1996. An Auburn vs. Alabama rematch in the bowl game with an Auburn victory. I think the same applies for Alabama as well. We need to look no further than last year. Sure bammer finished with a higher ranking and more wins but it’s more than evident that the loss to Auburn still gnaws at them. 1989 would also be another good example. After Auburn spoiled their perfect season they still had an outside shot at a MNC with their match up against Miami in the Sugar Bowl. They played the national champion Canes a tough game falling 33-25. What was Bill Curry’s reward? A one way ticket out of town. For Auburn and Alabama successful seasons are great but if you loose to your rival it’s all in vain. Should it be this way? Probably not, but that how it is with the greatest rivalry in sports.

I have no problem losing to UF and winning the East/SEC

If every year they said you had to lose to UF (which usually happens) but win the East...I would take it.

I look at it from the other way...would UF fans take a UGA loss for an East Title.....there isnt any doubt in my mind they would

I said this in another thread. But, If you want to win the SEC you have to beat :lsu: Winning the :sec: is the first goal for :au: If we lost to :ua: and won the SEC I would be okay with that , not happy. Key game for us is the :lsu: game we win that, Sky is the limit. We lose that, pretty good and no SEC is all we get.

The LSU fans are now talking about AU being their big rival game every year. To be honest that kind of scares me. AU gets overload from all this stuff. We have Georgia, Alabama, and now LSU as huge games for us. Name another team with three games that big on their schedules every year? Dye used to have the Amen Corner. At least CTT gets the games broken up during the year.

I think 10 wins this season and a win over :ua: I would be happy but disappointed a bit. I hope/not predict a 12-2 or 13-1 season and an :sec: Titile. Where we end up in the BCS is related to where the rest of the season plays out. IE a three loss ND team will still be in the Top 5.

Archived