Honored Jerseys

rolltoomer

ESPN's Bruce Feldman has a column about jersey legacies, e.g., Syracuse's number 44 and all the star wearers. 44 Is now retired, which he says in a way is a shame.

He touched on the thought I have often had about making jersies a designated honor jersey, instead of retiring it.

When a guy gets to be a senior (earlier if warrented), he could be selected as the one honored to wear a special number. Like AU's 7, 34 & 88.

The guy who originally got the jersey so designated (e.g., Sullivan) would be remembered more as the number award got publicity than he does now with the number almost never mentioned.

Seems to me that it ought to be considered. Maybe do it while Sully, Beas and Bo are still around and kicking. Get their blessing.

Oh, here we go again, bringing up the orange jersey debate. I thought we were never going to mention orange jerseys again and that horse was long since dead. If I hear about oran.....huh?

What's that? "Honored" jerseys???....Oh...

Never mind :big:

In that case, I like your suggestion Toomer.

I don't know. From the players perspective, kind you imagine the pressure of wearing #7 or #34 in a game and not performing up to the level of those namesakes.

Orange sounds good to Me!!!! Under Armor Break out the ORANGE!!!!

ALL AUBURN ALL ORANGE....... it all a Masonic Conspiracy Theory.... U Know that DON"T YOU...

There was another rumor that Under Armor was going to go the Route of Oregon this year and give us four different styles of Unis and Helmets for each game...... They're doing the four, because they're trying out four different shades of Orange. When I find the link I'll post it.

I like that when Auburn retires a number the honored person is the last one to wear it. (I know that was the case for Bo. I wasn't born during the Sullivan Beasley days.) Some times you'll see college or pro teams retire a number several years after the person has graduated or retired. During the time between graduation or retirement and the official retiring there will be several players that wear the number.

Archived