OT for 2006

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/weblogs/tigers/

The OT is a key

As you thumb your way through the litany of preseason magazines, there is an overwhelming consensus among the college football experts that Auburn’s offense is one of the nation’s best.

The stars are plentiful at the glamour positions: Quarterback Brandon Cox, running back Kenny Irons and wide receiver Courtney Taylor. In addition, a couple of guards on the offensive line, Ben Grubbs and Tim Duckworth, are considered to be two of the best at their position.

But what could be the difference between a good and great offense is the play of the lesser-known guys.

There are many to mention, but this week will focus on the offensive line position.

Left tackle King Dunlap steps in for Marcus McNeill, who is now on the NFL’s San Diego Chargers. On paper, McNeill leaves a large void but coaches are high on Dunlap. While not as strong from head-to-toe as McNeill is, Dunlap does possess unusual athletic abilities for a guy that stands 6-8. Dunlap got plenty of reps as a backup to McNeill the past two years and was impressive in the spring practice. Dunlap has been working on improving his overall strength since last season completed.

While Dunlap has settled nicely into his position, the right tackle position is somewhat murky. Leon Hart, a junior and much ballyhooed recruit out of the South Carolina area, struggled in spring practice and was moved back right guard, where he is slated to back up Duckworth. The current right tackle is senior Jonathan Palmer, who is the jack-of-all-trades on the line. He can play guard, center and tackle. Palmer impressed coaches in spring practice and he is the man on the spot for the time being to protect Cox’s blind side.

If Dunlap and Palmer struggle in fall practice and during the games, where Hugh Nall has been known to rotate his linemen rather freely, youngters like Oscar Gonzalez (6-7, 294, Fr.) and Antwoin Daniels (6-5, 286, SO) will have a chance to contribute. But keep in mind the pair doesn't have game experience like the aforementioned do.

JP is a very good OL in my opinion. I don't see why our coaching staff hasn't utilized him more. I felt when he stepped in at Center, he did a perfect job. I hope he gets a chance to play. He's really smart (EE major) and that will show on the field.

Hmmm, right tackle is not a good position to have up in the air w/ a lefty QB. Hopefully we get that squared away before Wash. St. Who's our backup QB this fall?

I wouldn't say that Nall rotates his linemen freely. Historically, he sticks with his starting five for the whole game.

And Palmer hasn't got because a lot of PT because he was not pigeonholed into one starting position due to his versatility and intelligence - he was basically the second or third stringer across all five positions. Sort of the "Sixth man" of the OL. Start a guy who grades even with or slightly lower than him at any of the five spots, and use him as insurance for all five. He's a team player (great parents) and understands that - watch where he goes next April. Plus he's an engineer, so he's got to be OK, right?

Antwoin Daniels has made great improvements and the coaches talked highly of him during and after spring training.

Hmmm, right tackle is not a good position to have up in the air w/ a lefty QB. Hopefully we get that squared away before Wash. St. Who's our backup QB this fall?

246216[/snapback]

Blake Fields

Archived