Is this what the NYT article is about

I found this information in a thread on ITAT. Some posters say this might be what the NYT article is about. This states that one professor might have given grades to student athlete in a course that required little or no work.

Here is the link.

http://www.ocm.auburn.edu/news_releases/presrelease.html

Auburn University

Office of Communications and Marketing

Briefing Note: July 13, 2006

Summary: This Briefing Note addresses a complaint made through the Ethicspoint system and currently under investigation by the Office of the Provost. In the interest of keeping the AU community informed, Dr. Richardson requested these statements from he and the Provost be shared with you.

Background and Statement from Dr. John Heilman, Provost:

Academic integrity is at the foundation of every university. At Auburn, we expect concerns related to academics to be reported through deans and department heads, but we also maintain an anonymous on-line system called Ethicspoint. In May, a complaint was made through the Ethicspoint system alleging that a single professor gave grades to student athletes for courses that required little or no work.

The Office of the Provost takes any concern related to academic processes at the University seriously. As a result, on June 5, I appointed a committee to investigate the anonymous claim. The work of the committee is not complete given the number of personal interviews that must be conducted.

The Committee will issue a report upon the completion of its work, and that report will be made public. Until that time, our office will have no comment on the investigation. I can assure you as Provost that academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Auburn University.

From the President:

Over the past two years, Auburn has shown a willingness to address serious issues in a very open and direct manner. The Provost has made me aware of a complaint and related investigation concerning grades assigned to student athletes.

I am confident that the Provost will perform a thorough investigation, and upon completion of that work we will make the results of that investigation public. I also want to make clear that in the event that any academic misconduct is confirmed, we will take appropriate action to insure that Auburn University’s strong academic reputation is not damaged. Auburn has been, and is, fortunate to have many dedicated instructors who, like us, will not tolerate academic misconduct.

I want to assure everyone associated with Auburn that upon completion of the investigation we will deal with this issue as we have dealt with other challenges – directly and openly.

Inquiries: Media or other external inquiries can be directed to David Granger or Deedie Dowdle in the Office of Communications and Marketing, 334-844-9999.

now watch the PF crowd begin the change and the attacks begin.

Auburn will be the wipping post for a while so get ready

now watch the PF crowd begin the change and the attacks begin.

Auburn will be the wipping post for a while so get ready

247392[/snapback]

Finescum does that. Slam Bama for a while then swing over and slam Auburn. All this pot stirring between AU & Bama folks done by a UT grad.

Well, I am glad the thing finally broke.

To be honest I am big disappointed but then again, if you are doing anything worthwhile you will get some flack for it.

Points to ponder:

1) Anonymous tip on Ethicspoint. Who has access? Could someone off the street call in on this?

2) This has been out since May. If there was anything real to it you would have seen the fireworks by now.

3) There are plenty of outside observers, Phillip Marshall included, that have watched and seen for themselves. If there were real problems, we would be hearing about them.

4) No one, not even Paul Finebaum, thinks this really going to go anywhere.

I am pissed about it. Guess you can tell.

Did anyone here not expect stuff like this to come out after all the success we have had on the field? Really? We were talking about it as soon as the Iron Bowl celebrations were over.

If THIS is their best shot, THEY are in serious trouble.

FYI, I just got the link to EthicsPoint. Hell "Jim from Tuscaloosa" can file on the damn site.... :rolleyes:

well I wouldn't disregard it too much, it could still be an issue with SACS

but then it could be strictly a faculty issue. In any case things need to be changed to prevent it from happening again.

Also it will interesting to see which player(s) are involved.

I'm more disgusted with the Pitts arrest than this at the moment.

I heard about it this morning from a friend in another county. It seems as though they had their annual AU club meeting last night and one of CTT's assistants (not coach but admin asst) spoke. He broached the subject immediately in his speech. From what I was told, he basically said that they had done a thourough investigation and had found nothing that would hurt AU. He told the crowd not to worry. He also addressed the Pitts issue. He said that CTT has given Pitts a list of things he hass to do in order to get back on the team. The speaker said that he really doubted that Pitts would do everything CTT is requiring, and thus will likely not be a part of the team this fall.

I heard about it this morning from a friend in another county. It seems as though they had their annual AU club meeting last night and one of CTT's assistants (not coach but admin asst) spoke. He broached the subject immediately in his speech. From what I was told, he basically said that they had done a thourough investigation and had found nothing that would hurt AU. He told the crowd not to worry. He also addressed the Pitts issue. He said that CTT has given Pitts a list of things he hass to do in order to get back on the team. The speaker said that he really doubted that Pitts would do everything CTT is requiring, and thus will likely not be a part of the team this fall.

247454[/snapback]

I heard exactly that about two-three days ago.

Just a warning: There are apparently two versions of the "official" press release from Auburn circulating.

The version posted by CCTF:( http://www.ocm.auburn.edu/news_releases/presrelease.html ) is apparently the official one and can also be accessed directly through the University's website: http://gwcal.duc.auburn.edu/audaily/. Note in particular these passages:

The Office of the Provost takes any concern related to academic processes at the University seriously. As a result, on June 5, I appointed a committee to investigate the anonymous claim. The work of the committee is not complete given the number of personal interviews that must be conducted.

The Committee will issue a report upon the completion of its work, and that report will be made public. Until that time, our office will have no comment on the investigation. I can assure you as Provost that academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Auburn University.

However, I just received an e-mail from a friend who sent me this (allegedly official) version with some very suspicious additions, but with no link:

The Office of the Provost takes any concern related to athletic processes at the University seriously. As a result, on June 5, I appointed a committee to investigate the anonymous claim. The work of the committee, consisting of Vincent E. Jackson, Robert Lowder, Todd McNight and Thomas Tuberville, is not complete given the number of personal interviews that must be conducted.

The Committee will issue a report upon the completion of its work, and that report will be made public if we approve of the findings. Until that time, our office will have no comment on the investigation. I can assure you as Provost that academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Auburn University unless it is absolutely necessary.

Note the added parts which I have highlighted. I cannot imagine any Provost making a statement like “academic misconduct will not be tolerated…unless it is absolutely necessary”. When could it possibly be “necessary”? I also have doubts about someone going on record to say the report would be made public “if we approve of the findings”. Finally, I don’t recognize the names V. Jackson or T. McKnight, but having Bobby Lowder and Tommy Tuberville making up 50% of a committee to investigate academic misconduct in athletics seems politically very stupid as well.

I call :bs: on this bogus version, but wanted to warn everyone in case they see it floating around the web

Just a warning:  There are apparently two versions of the "official" press release from Auburn circulating.

The version posted by CCTF:( http://www.ocm.auburn.edu/news_releases/presrelease.html ) is apparently the official one and can also be accessed directly through the University's website: http://gwcal.duc.auburn.edu/audaily/.  Note in particular these passages:

However, I just received an e-mail from a friend who sent me this (allegedly official) version with some very suspicious additions, but with no link:

The Office of the Provost takes any concern related to athletic processes at the University seriously. As a result, on June 5, I appointed a committee to investigate the anonymous claim. The work of the committee, consisting of Vincent E. Jackson, Robert Lowder, Todd McNight and Thomas Tuberville, is not complete given the number of personal interviews that must be conducted.

The Committee will issue a report upon the completion of its work, and that report will be made public if we approve of the findings. Until that time, our office will have no comment on the investigation. I can assure you as Provost that academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Auburn University unless it is absolutely necessary.

Note the added parts which I have highlighted. I cannot imagine any Provost making a statement like “academic misconduct will not be tolerated…unless it is absolutely necessary”. When could it possibly be “necessary”? I also have doubts about someone going on record to say the report would be made public “if we approve of the findings”. Finally, I don’t recognize the names V. Jackson or T. McKnight, but having Bobby Lowder and Tommy Tuberville making up 50% of a committee to investigate academic misconduct in athletics seems politically very stupid as well.

I call :bs: on this bogus version, but wanted to warn everyone in case they see it floating around the web

247481[/snapback]

Quietfan... :big:

Are you doing drugs? That is sssooo bogus. You didnt recognize Vincent BO Jackson? Todd McNight, Head Cheerleader? Please tell me you didnt miss that ten miles of sarcasm in that....

FYI, I just got the link to EthicsPoint. Hell "Jim from Tuscaloosa" can file on the damn site....  :rolleyes:

247445[/snapback]

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/inter...cspointfaq.html

Is that what you read DKW?

247547[/snapback]

No, actually I got the actual site itself. I logged on and filed an ethics complaints on Mike Shula, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus. Any moron on the internet can log on and file anything ANONYMOUSLY!

That is like an ethics course offered by Tider Insider..... :puke:

Just a warning:  There are apparently two versions of the "official" press release from Auburn circulating.

The version posted by CCTF:( http://www.ocm.auburn.edu/news_releases/presrelease.html ) is apparently the official one and can also be accessed directly through the University's website: http://gwcal.duc.auburn.edu/audaily/.  Note in particular these passages:

247481[/snapback]

Quietfan... :big:

Are you doing drugs? That is sssooo bogus. You didnt recognize Vincent BO Jackson? Todd McNight, Head Cheerleader? Please tell me you didnt miss that ten miles of sarcasm in that....

247585[/snapback]

Well, as I said, I knew it bogus, but yes, I had forgotten Bo's real name was Vincent and I don't really follow the cheerleaders' names... D'oh! :homer:

Glad to know now it's a joke and not a serious attempt at disinformation...

...and "D'oh" again!

Archived