Bill Curry update

TigerOne

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_89153.asp

This is not Baylor University in Texas

Bill Curry Appointed To Head "Leadership Baylor" Program

posted July 14, 2006

Baylor School has hired Bill Curry as executive director of Leadership

Baylor to oversee the school's leadership initiative.

Baylor Headmaster Dr. Bill Stacy said the former star quarterback will be responsible for the curricular development and an ongoing assessment of the school's leadership program. His duties will include creating a leadership speakers' series, serving as chair of the Leadership Baylor advisory committee, and developing leadership mentoring opportunities for faculty, coaches, staff, and students.

He will also create a "Leadership Colloquium" for business and professionals in the Chattanooga area, and will be conducting leadership seminars throughout the year.

The Leadership Baylor program was launched last fall to give students the opportunity to explore various leadership styles, and examine the

importance of character and competence in leadership. Students attend leadership classes throughout the year in grades 9-12. The initiative was launched in cooperation with Dr. David Abshire's groundbreaking work on character-based leadership. Dr. Abshire, a Chattanooga native and Baylor alumnus, serves as president and chief executive officer for the Center for the Study of the Presidency (CSP) and has established a national consortium in partnership with Baylor and the Institute for Honor at Washington and Lee University.

"Bill Curry is the right man to step up our efforts and focus our work. He has over the past decade been teaching leadership skills and insights to business, education, sports, and civic groups. We look

forward to his energy and focus as a means to assist us with our Leadership Baylor program."

As for Baylor, Mr. Curry said he was impressed with the mix of faculty and others who spearheaded the school's leadership program. "They have a great start on a leadership program that I'm not sure exists anywhere

else. If it does, I'm not aware of it. To be invited to become a part of

that program is one of the highest compliments I receive, because they are really serious about leadership. That's the reason this move makes sense for me at this time," he said, adding that he's always had a love for Chattanooga and a fondness of Baylor. "My father was the boxing and

weightlifting coach for Georgia Military Academy (now Woodward Academy) and Baylor was one of G.M.A.'s biggest rivals. As a little kid I have a memory of being on the Baylor campus for the competition."

He has also drawn upon his professional experiences as an athlete and sports commentator for lessons in leadership. Curry joined ESPN in 1997 as a college football game analyst, and has been well-received by fans and media alike. In addition, he has been a popular national presenter and keynote motivational speaker, recently making appearances for the Boy Scouts of America, Central Oklahoma University's leadership course, a Coca-Cola management seminar, and the Pennsylvania State University Directors of Athletics Convention. He is also the author of numerous publications on leadership.

Mr. Curry stated that while the Baylor position will occupy a majority of his time, he will remain under a modified contract with ESPN. "I will have fewer appearances so that I can devote more time to the Baylor program," he said.

Prior to ESPN, Mr. Curry spent 17 years (1980-96) as a head coach in the college ranks, including positions at Georgia Tech (1980-86), Alabama (1987-89) and Kentucky (1990-96). In 1989, he led Alabama to the SEC title. He also was the recipient of numerous honors, including ACC Coach of the Year (1985), SEC Coach of the Year (1987 and 1989), and the Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year (1989). Prior to his first head coaching assignment, he spent three seasons in the NFL (1977-79) as an assistant coach to Bart Starr and the Green Bay Packers.

Bill Curry played pro football from 1965 to 1974 with the Green Bay Packers, under the legendary Vince Lombardi; and also played for the Baltimore Colts, Houston Oilers, and Los Angeles Rams. He was an All-Pro center with the Colts in 1971 and 1972.

A 1965 Georgia Tech graduate with a degree in industrial management, he also starred for the Yellow Jackets football squad from 1963-64. He has an additional year of study with the Candler School of Theology at Emory University.

Mr. Curry and his wife, Dr. Carolyn Curry, have two grown children, Bill Jr. and Kristin. Although he will spend a good deal of time in Chattanooga, Mr. Curry said their mountain retreat near Murphy, N.C. will be their primary residence.

Archived