Will bamas D be ready for

Ravad

It should be an interesting game, Joe Kines will get to show if the old warhorse still has it when it comes to calling a good defensive gameplan.

Alabama completely shut down a much better version of a pass-happy offense in TTU last year. And even if they don't have quite the same personel returning, they'll still be talented and they still have the gameplan to stop such an attack.

Could be fun to watch.

bama lost atleast 7, maybe 8, from the starting D.

Most of this O was playing their first yer together last year.

high-octane passing offenses

248748[/snapback]

Even though Bama did lose 7 starters on defense, they rotated a ton of players last year on defense. There will be a drop off, but not as much as some are expecting. Simeon Castille and Ramzee Robinson are the returing cornebacks, and both started last year. Jeffrey Dukes starts at FS and played a ton last year, so the only concern in the secondary is Marcus Carter at SS. Linebacker is a whole different story. With Simpson serving a suspension for probably three games to start the season, LB is a concern at best. Lucky for us Kines likes to employ a 5 DB defense, so that will take away some of the sting losing Simpson.

With all that said, you guys know that one demisional offenses are no good against the speed on defense in the SEC. Bobby Greenwood and Wallace Gilberry will be all over the Hawaii qb, knowing that they will not run.

I think Hawaii can still score 14-21. The question is, will Shula run the ball enough to win. He likes to keep an even run-pass ratio. With a new qb, Hawaii's quick strike ability and a likely sweltering 95+ afternoon in the deep south, I say Shula better put the ball in Darby's hands at least 25-30 times, keep Hawaii's offense off the field, and hope they aren't conditioned enough to handle the humidity late in the game.

All jokes aside I think UAT will have their hands full. It really could go either way in my opinion. UAT should win but there are a LOT of variables that nobody knows the answer to.

Could be fun to watch.

bama lost atleast 7, maybe 8, from the starting D.

Most of this O was playing their first yer together last year.

high-octane passing offenses

248748[/snapback]

Bama did lose a lot. The concern for now is at safety. Jeffrey Dukes is MORE than capable at one safety spot. But Marcus Carter has never had to be "the man" at the other.

Defensive End is fine with Wallace Gillberry and Bobby Greenwood.

We are loaded at Corner Back.

Defensive Tackle... we will be fine there assuming no injuries.

Linebacker is another concern. Terrence Jones is really good...but no one behind him is proven. Juwan will probably not be playing, so his position is a ?. And MLB will have a pretty fresh face with Matt Collins. Really good run stopper, unproven pass defender.

We will give up points against UH...but their defense is trash.

The one question that comes to mind when talking about this game is if the Bama O can keep up with the scoring shoot out Hawaii seems to display.

The one question that comes to mind when talking about this game is if the Bama O can keep up with the scoring shoot out Hawaii seems to display.

248764[/snapback]

No, they cannot.

248764[/snapback]

No, they cannot.

248775[/snapback]

But, Hawaii's defense couldn't stop some High School programs.

248764[/snapback]

Well, UH scored 23ppg on the road last year but gave up 32.

And 4 of those road games were against Idaho, Nevada, San Jose St, and La Tech. The other one was a 42-14 loss at MSU.

They gave up 28 points or more in all but 2 games last year. That would be more than enough to beat them IMO.

248764[/snapback]

And 4 of those road games were against Idaho, Nevada, San Jose St, and La Tech. The other one was a 42-14 loss at MSU.

They gave up 28 points or more in all but 2 games last year. That would be more than enough to beat them IMO.

248777[/snapback]

Your post pre-supposes that UH's opposition can score. What was Bama's average ppg last year?

248764[/snapback]

248777[/snapback]

Your post pre-supposes that UH's opposition can score. What was Bama's average ppg last year?

248783[/snapback]

22ppg. In the SEC. Should translate to at least mid 30s against UH. The only common opponent UH had with Bama last year was Utah St. Bama gave up 3 points to them while UH gave up 23.

I know you are just trying to be smug. But if you think we wont be able to score on UH, you are just being delusional.

This game will, in my HO, be very simular to uat's bowl game. HU will not score a ton and neither will uat. uat wins a low/semi-low scoring game.

This game will, in my HO, be very simular to uat's bowl game. HU will not score a ton and neither will uat. uat wins a low/semi-low scoring game.

248789[/snapback]

I think we will win...but I think we will give up some points. Our defense will need some games before they can really gel as a unit. Too many question marks on D to come out and pitch a near shutout.

But I also think UH's defense is just so bad that any athletic team will just walk over them.

Alabama should run for 300+ yards on Hawaii. Their D may give a little, but I say they win by about 14.

On a completely unrelated topic, I checked out Bama's depth chart to see what all they lost, and I have to ask... why on earth do you have 7 TE's listed??? Having 7 on the team is one thing, but do we really need to split hairs between 6th and 7th string TE?

i don't want to sound rude,but who cares what the bammerfarts "D" does....i am more concerned with what ours will do against washington state.....they have an excellent offense...we need to be concerned with ourselves at this point and not worry about who takes out the trash....this game is going to be tougher than a lot of people think

Alabama completely shut down a much better version of a pass-happy offense in TTU last year.  And even if they don't have quite the same personel returning, they'll still be talented and they still have the gameplan to stop such an attack.

248757[/snapback]

That, as you say, was LAST YEAR..... :)

:au::homer:

Alabama should run for 300+ yards on Hawaii. Their D may give a little, but I say they win by about 14.

On a completely unrelated topic, I checked out Bama's depth chart to see what all they lost, and I have to ask... why on earth do you have 7 TE's listed??? Having 7 on the team is one thing, but do we really need to split hairs between 6th and 7th string TE?

248821[/snapback]

I agree that Bamar should win. By the way, is Hawaii playing with or without defensive ends? I could change my mind.... :lol:

:au::homer:

248821[/snapback]

Their chart is wrong. One of those guys is a fullback. Two others are OL.

I ususally am critical of the conservative and unimaginative offensive scheme that Rader/Shula run. In this case, I don't think they need to do much more than go with Darby left and right 75% of the time. There's no way UH has anyone comparable to KD on their defense.

Bama could get in trouble if they try to get too cute and start chucking the ball around the field. If they grind it out, they'll win by 2-3 TD's. By the way BG, isn't this Gilberry's 9th year of eligibility? :P

I think there's no doubt that Bama should be favored in the game, but it'll be a dangerous one for 'em. Bama's defense will not be as good as the Cotton Bowl defense. Bama's QB will not be very experienced in his first start & how will his receivers perform? No reason why their offensive coaching shouldn't continue to suck. On the other hand, I figure their O-line has no where to go but up. I don't know what Hawaii is returning.

Straight up bet, I'd still go with Bama, nervously. Bet with spread?--show me the spread.

May come down to intangibles: How badly will Bama miss all that senior leadership they graduated? How badly will jet lag/travel work against Hawaii?

14.5 may be a bit much. But, then again, I don't bet so it doesn't matter to me.

O/U at 54.5? Oooh, I haven't bet on football in a long time, but I may have to get on that if it sticks. Where did you get those figures, BG?

O/U at 54.5?  Oooh, I haven't bet on football in a long time, but I may have to get on that if it sticks.  Where did you get those figures, BG?

248885[/snapback]

http://forums.lasvegasadvisor.com/messagev...threadid=200052

Same place that shows AU giving up only 11 to WSU.

Archived