Predictions on the WSU game?

DKW 86

Consider:

History of dropping opening games...

History of starting slow...

Importance of starting well this season...

Embarassment of losing to Wisconsin sssooo badly and Coach Yox rubbing it in their faces all summer...

How do we do against WSU?

I say we take our very good OL and our great rbs and play SMASHMOUTH with them.

1) Keeps their O off the field.

2) Burns up the clock.

3) Gives time for our D to work out the kinks.

4) I truly believe the way to beat any West Coast team is to completely take them out of their element.

5) Takes pressure off of our WRs until they settle down.

6) Fewer turnovers likely...

7) Maybe open it up in the 2nd half.

Playing smashmouth does all that and more.

I think we only pull away late as we wear their DL flat out.

:au: 27 Cougs 14

They don't have the DL that ogre brought in with USC 3 years ago, and Nall has been focused solely on his linemen this year. Auburn should have no problem running the ball on wazzou, and using the 87/87 home field advantage (87,000 and 87% humidity). I don't know about "opening it up in the second half" - I'll believe that when I see it. Maybe 2:1 run-to-pass in the first half, and then "opening" it up to 4:1 run-to-pass in the second half. Hopefully, the wazzou defense will get a couple of good looks at KI's "@**hole and elbows" as he breaks a few long ones.

I pretty much am in concurrence with ya. I think we should put up at least 30 on them though. We have our experience on O. Our defensive strength IMO is our DEs and LBs (of course which we will be missing 2 of them). Since WSU is a primarily passing team I think maybe we can disrupt their game. With our strength on O being the running game, we should be able to control the ball and the game. I think our depth will be a factor also, and we pull away in the end. Biggest depth being the plethora of RBs, KI gets his share and Lester contributes a good amount. Not to mention Stewart, oh and Tre breaks a screen pass for a TD.

AU 31

WSU 17

Not trying be a :au: Homer, I feel our team speed on defense will cause a few early turnovers, and the O will pound it early getting us a decent lead to play off of. Mush will find the combination needed on defense, and we'll be on cruise control by the end of 3rd of early 4th.

AU 34

WSU 10

I predict that Al's first play from scrimmage will be a hand off to Irons.

I predict that wazzou will gain around 280 through the air.

I predict that Taylor catches a TD pass in the FIRST game this season.

I predict an Auburn win, but closer than the experts think. <_<

but closer than the experts think. <_<

Had to go there with the Corso quip, didn't ya <_<

They don't have the DL that ogre brought in with USC 3 years ago, and Nall has been focused solely on his linemen this year. Auburn should have no problem running the ball on wazzou, and using the 87/87 home field advantage (87,000 and 87% humidity). I don't know about "opening it up in the second half" - I'll believe that when I see it. Maybe 2:1 run-to-pass in the first half, and then "opening" it up to 4:1 run-to-pass in the second half. Hopefully, the wazzou defense will get a couple of good looks at KI's "@**hole and elbows" as he breaks a few long ones.

Maybe not an entire DL: keep an eye out for #94, Mkristo Bruce, one of the top DE in the country. Actually, you'll have a hard time missing him at 6-6, 250. Link

Auburn runs some kind of weird trick play very very very early in the game (remember '04 Arkansas?), grabs the momentum, and takes an early lead..

Washington State comes firing back as Auburn finds problems in their secondary. Tristan Davis makes a couple of big plays and Auburn wins going away .. 31-13.

BTW.. We can have 100% Humidity in the winter and it not be humid. The humidness (stickiness) that we get in the summer is from the dewpoint. =D Dewpoints above 50 start to make things humid. We are probably in the 70s right now.

I'm looking at it completely level headed, no AU lean at all. I think we run a lot to start, throwing a little as needed. Get a 10 point lead, start throwing a little more to put it away by the half. WSU gets frustrated, makes dumb moves right out of the gate in the 2nd half. Ben Tate goes nuts.

AU: 65

WSU: 6

Mark it down and call your bookie

Based on last year's scoring margins against D1 opponents...

Auburn was +9 on offense and -7 on defense with an average score of 32-16

WSU was +3 on offense and -2 on defense with an average score of 32-34

Using AU's scoring margins vs. WSU scoring averages:

Auburn 43 WSU 25

Using WSU's scoring margins vs. AU's scoring averages:

Auburn 30 WSU 19

Avearge Score: Auburn 36-22

Based on last year's scoring margins against D1 opponents...

Auburn was +9 on offense and -7 on defense with an average score of 32-16

WSU was +3 on offense and -2 on defense with an average score of 32-34

Using AU's scoring margins vs. WSU scoring averages:

Auburn 43 WSU 25

Using WSU's scoring margins vs. AU's scoring averages:

Auburn 30 WSU 19

Avearge Score: Auburn 36-22

Clean it up and say 35-21. Or a 14 point difference. I said 13 points just off the drugs.... :thumbsup:

:lol:

Clean it up and say 35-21. Or a 14 point difference. I said 13 points just off the drugs.... :thumbsup:

:lol:

Never play with, alter or taunt the numbers David! :no: It could upset the football gods and send Auburn spiraling into a 7-5 campaign. :lol:

Hope the back is feeling better this AM

Good guys win 24-10

24-17 :au:

I think we're cautious...run the ball a lot...and give up a few big plays on D...but we win with a dominating O line.... Not bad for an opener...but not the best ball that we will play.

:au::homer:

Throw the heat and humidity garbage out the window. We were saying the same thing three years ago when USC came to town. Really hurt them didn't it! I believe the game will turn out like a 28-17 type game in favor of Auburn. Could be closer than that if they are really fired up for the coach like I am reading.

Assuming our little nagging injuries don't have us operating with 3rd string linebackers and a pieced together O-line, I'd say a 14-point victory sounds about right for us. If injuries & suspensions have us in disarray, then I might worry some.

Between Wisconsin, Yoxall, Ga. Tech last year, NYT articles, etc., I don't expect our guys to have any problems getting fired up for the opener. 2003 was an aberration due to Nallsminger ball & 2005 was due to new QB & RB's with Borges fitting them into a game situation for the first time. Neither 2003 nor 2005 would have happened to the experienced Cox, Irons & Co., and Borges team we have now.

Two years does not make for a jinx or a pattern, IMO, particularly when those years are not even consecutive.

[Now, losing four in a row to your biggest rival, or never beating your rival on your home field might be a sign of something. :big::poke: BG]

Archived