Auburn in midst of its glory days

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/rk....xml&coll=3

Auburn in midst of its glory days

Sunday, August 13, 2006

In the glory days of Auburn football, the Tigers won 55 games over a six-year period, an average of 9.2 games per season.

In the glory days of Auburn football, the Tigers won four straight games over rival Alabama and were a combined 9-3 against their two most intense rivals, the Crimson Tide and the Georgia Bulldogs.

In the glory days of Auburn football, the Tigers won the SEC West outright or tied for first five times in a six-year period.

In the glory days of Auburn football, the Tigers won 13 games in a single season, two more than they had ever won in a season before.

The glory days of Auburn football, if you haven't already realized, are now.

On the 114-year graph that is Auburn football, the Tigers have reached their zenith as kickoff for the 2006 season approaches.

Shug Jordan's name is on the Auburn stadium. Pat Dye is now a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. And Terry Bowden may never lose the distinction of having the best start in Division I-A college football season, having won 20 straight to open his career.

But Tommy Tuberville is the architect of the most successful era in Auburn football history. And there's no indication that the run is coming to an end.

Since the start of the 2000 season, Auburn is 55-21. In those years, the Tigers have finished first, tied for first, tied for first, third, first and tied for first in the SEC West.

Included in that streak is one overall SEC championship and the school's only undefeated season that included a bowl victory.

When has Auburn football ever been better?

Under Jordan? The best six-year run of Jordan's career took place from 1955-60, when the Tigers were 49-10-2. While that is a stronger winning percentage, the Tigers were on NCAA probation during the 1957 national championship season and finished no better than fifth in the SEC in two of those years and fourth in another. The Tigers were also two games into a four-game losing streak to Alabama by the time the 1960 season ended. Plus, those Tigers played in only one bowl game during that six-year period, losing to Vanderbilt in the 1955 Gator Bowl.

Under Dye? OK, the Tigers were the best team in the country in 1983, the year they began a six-year stretch that included an impressive 57 wins. But those Tigers were only 4-2 against Alabama immediately following the retirement and death of Bear Bryant. They also never had an undefeated season, oddly making Dye (still the best coach in Auburn history) the only Tigers coach in the last quarter-century to never have an undefeated campaign.

So Auburn fans should enjoy the current position of their program. It remains to be seen if Tuberville can bring a national championship to the Plains. But he's already proven he can lead the program to its greatest era ever.

Now lets just sit back and enjoy this for a long time....

I agree I think it's the best time in my 29 years of being an Auburn fan! I think coach TT has a lot to do with the success, from his recruiting to his hiring the best staff! I can't wait for the season to start so they can go out and dominate again! This year feels special!

Last time I felt this optimistic about the future was right after the horn sounded on Pat Dye's first victory over Bama. And that turned out pretty good!

Just hope CTT is able to continue to find great assistants as these move on...

Also, let's all be constantly on guard to do the right things and not commit some stupid NCAA infraction. I know CTT & staff won't, but I hope some booster/supporter/fan doesn't carelessly screw up. We know with our success our enemies are circling and looking for any weakness they can find or invent!

This article belittles AU football. We have something like 8 seasons where we didn't lose a game. You can't compare most other programs across the country to our tradition (e.g. compared to programs like UF, the toast of college football media for the last 15 years, UF has played football since 1909 and until 1991 they had not won ANY conferenne titles in either the Southern league or SEC. Their only glory was Spurrier winning the 1966 Heisman. Their "glory years were a 9 year spurt between 1991-2000. None of the Florida schools have anything like extended tradition of winning over decades, like AU). The writer compares Jordan's record (when we sometimes played 10 game seasons) to 13 game season coaches. Coaches like Jordan, Dye and Paterno frequently made big splashes in rebuilding years (e.g. the Amazins).

We ARE in the middle of of ANOTHER set of glory years, not the first and based on our first 110 yeaars of football, not our last.

Bring on a National Title baby! That will definitely solidify this era as the glory years for Auburn football. I do agree that Auburn has had some other very impressive runs throughout history, but right now we are becoming a national program. Up until the last few years, Auburn was not very well known outside of the south. The Under Armour deal definitely helps with the marketing of our program. A national title will certainly put us on the map for good.

Archived