Auburn notebook 8-18

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill....xml&coll=1

Auburn notebook

Morning practices are a hit with Tigers

Friday, August 18, 2006

Huntsville Times

AUBURN - It was a new way of doing business for the Auburn football team.

The Tigers began what will be a season-long routine Thursday of practicing in the mornings. And the plan got mostly positive reviews.

"I think it went pretty well," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said after a workout of almost two hours. We'll go a little longer than this normally. It was a good practice. It was up-tempo."

Senior tailback Kenny Irons said the new plan will be beneficial off the field, as well.

"It gives us a chance to relax during the day," Irons said. "If you practice in the afternoon, you practice and take a shower and go straight to study hall. You have some people who have a long day of classes, then after classes go right to practice and right to study hall. People were tired and exhausted."

Big news for Gilbert: Fourth-year junior cornerback Zach Gilbert finally got the news for which he'd been waiting for years.

Gilbert, who walked on out of Bradshaw High School in 2003, was awarded a scholarship.

"It's a big turnaround," Gilbert said. "It's amazing how God works. I was so close to leaving last year. My coaches and teammates and friends were telling me to stay. I stayed and worked hard. Coach Tub just rewarded me with a scholarship."

Tuberville said Gilbert, who is Auburn's first-team nickel back, earned it.

"He's paid his dues," Tuberville said. "He's been around a long time and worked hard. You want to reward somebody for that."

Eager for return: Senior cornerback David Irons, a preseason All-Southeastern Conference selection, has not practiced since Saturday because of a strained hamstring. And he's itching to get back on the field.

"I ran for the first time today," irons said Thursday. "It's still bothering me a little bit. It's day to day. Hopefully, I'll be back late this week or early next week. I don't know."

Irons said it has been frustrating to watch from the sideline.

"I want to be out there at practice," Irons said. "I'm not the type of guy to sit on the bike and watch practice. I just want to get back out there and pick up where I left off."

Freshman nose guard Mike Blanc missed Thursday's practice with a tooth infection. Offensive lineman Tyronne Green was out for the second day with a stomach virus. Freshman running back Mario Fannin suffered a hip pointer and will probably not return until next week.

There was some positive news on the injury front. Sophomore offensive lineman Antwoin Daniels (knee) returned to practice. Wide receiver Courtney Taylor (knee) and offensive lineman Leon Hart (abdominal strain) are on the verge of returning to work.

Archived