I think I have a handle on this season

tarheeltiger

I have been pondering on this all summer trying to decide the mindset and capabilities of this team. I think they are on a kick ass mission to correct some earlier lapses.

We played USC there and lost in a good game. EVERYbody knew that when we had them in Alabama heat and humidity and facing a Carnel Williams led charge we couldn't lose.

We played Georgia Tech and in a fluke let down game lost. EVERYbody knew that when we got them at home we would even the score.

Wisconsin speaks for itself.

I think this team is a potential monster that feels there is a lot to correct and is on a mission to make a statement game early. If we can ride this thru a victory over LSU then keep focus and intensity the sky is the limit.

I am taking a wait and see attitude. We haven't done anything yet and our last game was embarrasing. If we had closed out the season on a high then I would be feeling more positive. I just don't agree with these pie-in-the-sky predictions that everyone is saying. Don't you think that LSU, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, and Bama are reading what is being said about us? Those teams have great athletes as well. Those teams think they will be left standing in December as well. Those teams think they are going to be 12-0 as well. I am not a negative person, I'm a realist. Those goofy predicitions rarely come out to fruition. I think Auburn will do pretty well this year as long as our guys keep their heads in the game. Don't be surprised if we end up in the 10-2/9-3 range. The SEC is still the SEC. Anyone can beat us.

Or we lose another "can't lose" right when we're on the verge of being a national contender....

Not saying it will happen, but...would you really be shocked if it did?

I would be shocked if we did. Here are the reasons why...

We have a coaching staff that is a contender. We are loaded with talent and our roster is a contender. We have a head coach that went through all of those seasons which are mentioned above, and he is a master at putting the pieces together when all the pieces are in place (see 2004 Auburn Tigers). He is a contender. We have a veteran QB running the offense who is among the best in the conference...a contender.

In all of the cases mentioned above (2003 USC, 2005 GTech, etc.) we did not have this package in place.

My confidence in the 2006 Auburn Tigers is unmatched by any year that I can remember as an Auburn fan.

Explain the Wisconsin loss then. If we are a real contender then why did our last game turn into a beatdown?

Over confidence and lack of preparation.

Explain the Wisconsin loss then. If we are a real contender then why did our last game turn into a beatdown?

not to mention the fact that our DC was in way over his head.

I wanna see our guys play before I get super-excited. We need to manhandle Washington St. and get the monkey off of our backs.

Hey, I'm all for that. No doubt. I'd love to see the eye of tiger again. That look is unmistakable.

Significant difference, in my view, is that the 2003 and 2005 teams were coming off of highs when they were getting the sunshine enema from the media. The win over JoePa in Orlando leading into 2003, and the afterglow of 2004 going into 2005, did nothing to keep the team mentally grounded. Contrast that with the Capital One Bowl pass hanging around Yox's neck for the last 38 weeks.

There are many things I could say. Probably none that would convince a skeptic fan.

However, from where I was sitting at the Capital One Bowl, I saw a defensive game plan that was crap get even crappier when it was not really adjusted for the whooping we were receiving by their offense. We got owned with our NFL-style soft pass coverage. They killed us with that.

I also think the longer bowl trip had something to do with it. If you remember, the game was on Monday, Jan. 2 instead of on Sun. Jan 1 because of NFL games. This added at least one extra day of parades, pep-rallies, theme parks, etc. to the trip.

I went with the band to every bowl since 2002 minus the Sugar in 04. I can say with confidence that everyone in the band organization was absolutely exhausted by the end of the trip from the extra day of parades, etc. After half-time of the game it was all we could do to get the band kids to even stand they were so tired. We were there for FIVE days up each day between 6-7 and working all day until after midnight. I think the team was there even longer than five days.

Yeah, these are all excuses I know. There won't be any "Capital One style" losses this year, you can bank on it.

I also think the longer bowl trip had something to do with it. If you remember, the game was on Monday, Jan. 2 instead of on Sun. Jan 1 because of NFL games. This added at least one extra day of parades, pep-rallies, theme parks, etc. to the trip.

I went with the band to every bowl since 2002 minus the Sugar in 04. I can say with confidence that everyone in the band organization was absolutely exhausted by the end of the trip from the extra day of parades, etc. After half-time of the game it was all we could do to get the band kids to even stand they were so tired. We were there for FIVE days up each day between 6-7 and working all day until after midnight. I think the team was there even longer than five days.

I don't remember when Wisconsin arrived for the game, but if they got there when Auburn did, wouldn't this affect them as well, meaning both teams were equally handicapped? Or if Wisconsin didn't have the problem, then we're back to blaming the coaches for poor team management on the trip.

In any case, I'd rather have lost the Capital One Bowl last year then lose our opening game this year. Hopefully the memories of Wisconsin, as "reinforced" by Yoxall, will prevent similar mental lapses next week.

I really believe that the Wisconson loss is the best thing that could have happened to this football team. It brought us back down to earth, and we have used it as a motivating tool in the offseason. Pre-bowl game, everyone in the country was touting us as the best team in the SEC, etc., and we bought into it. We went down to Orlando and looked at the trip as a vacation more than a business trip. That falls on the coaches' shoulders. Not to mention the poor defensive game plan...

As weird as it sounds, I would be more scared about the first game right now if we had won the Capital One bowl.

Archived