from the ajc this morning

bellefay1

I'm glad I didn't realize what was happening until it was almost over there. That was a crazy call to say the least. It's good to try one every now and then to keep people honest.

Earlier in his career, CTT did this kind of thing fairly often. I think that is probably why it worked yesterday, no one saw it coming. CTT has some huge stones for running that play. They had a long way to go for the first and WSU would have had great field position if it hadn't worked out.

That's why he gets the BIG BUCKS!

He usually picks a good time to run it. The last big game we ran it was against Florida and we were really out manned and he was just trying to give us a chance to win. I recall the play was open, Duvall just under threw the pass.

Tuberville was dragged across the coals for running a fake in the same part of the field a few years ago against Florida.

The result was a turnover inside the redzone. I hope that was the last fake punt we see for another 4 years, unless of course it's against Buffalo or maybe Tulane.

He usually picks a good time to run it. The last big game we ran it was against Florida and we were really out manned and he was just trying to give us a chance to win. I recall the play was open, Duvall just under threw the pass.

Duvall didn't use his block right, if he had gone to the outside on the run he would have made it, instead he went to the inside of it.

Tuberville was dragged across the coals for running a fake in the same part of the field a few years ago against Florida.

The result was a turnover inside the redzone. I hope that was the last fake punt we see for another 4 years, unless of course it's against Buffalo or maybe Tulane.

My point was that its a great call if it works, and a poor call if it doesn't work. The result was 3 points, which with the punt, and a return, Florida would have been in position for 3 anyway.

My point was that its a great call if it works, and a poor call if it doesn't work. The result was 3 points, which with the punt, and a return, Florida would have been in position for 3 anyway.

My point is that calling a fake punt inside your own 20yd line is stupid, whoever calls it. It's called risk assessment.

My point is that calling a fake punt inside your own 20yd line is stupid, whoever calls it. It's called risk assessment.

I thought we should have punted. I'm glad it worked but we still had a significant lead with a good D. I was thinking it wasn't a good call. Now when Tubby does this and it doesn't work I hope people don't say "You wouldn't be complaining if it had worked". It worked, I'm greatful war eagle.

Yes it is stupid.. but he gave the team a chance to audible in case it wouldn't have had a chance to work. It was a 4th and 15 play.. which makes it even more risky. It was a very risky call.. somewhat stupid.. But it worked.

I was not a big fan of the call. Yes it worked, but we had a ton of yards to go. I like it in the closer situations. Like 4th and 5 to 10 yards.

Ahhh..The REAL raven returns. We have truely missed your sunshine. :big:

That was a good call under the circumstances. Not a single person there expected that except the coaching staff and players.

Here's to hoping we have enough lead in every other game that we don't need anymore trick plays this season.

CTT got his reputation from the days when his teams were outmanned and had less talent. He needed to take some chances to win in those days. He said he did it Saturday because he felt the momentum was swinging toward WSU. Of course, had it failed, that would have definitely swung the momentum their way.

However, since we did it and it worked, every other opposing defense coordinator is going to have to worry about the possibility. So in some sense, Saturday's fake is going to continue to work for us all season.

[Plus, how cool is it that even our linebacker had more rushing yards than Ken Darby? :big: ]

Duvall didn't use his block right, if he had gone to the outside on the run he would have made it, instead he went to the inside of it.

True Dat...I was there. Sigh.

:au::homer:

There was nothing stupid about it!!! And I take that as calling CTT stupid which I believe is borderline on the rules of this board!!

He did for a couple of reasons...

1. No one was expecting it at all. 4th and what 14 inside our 25. WOW!!

2. If you were at the game, you know the fans and players had gotten out of the game. He knew a jumpstart was needed, and that was the shot to the heart the players needed, and the fans to get our heads back in the game.

It was a great call at the perfect time!!

I'm sure the coaching staff didn't assess the risks and just said hey lets run a fake for the hell of it, they probably also didn't base that decesion off any film watching on Washington State's special team techniques and tendencies in those situations. Probably also was no audible to punt it if WSU didn't give a specific look that play was designed to exploit.

Fortune favors the bold, I liked the call, but then I don't like to be safe if it means letting other teams dictate the pace, momentum, and style of the game...... and that is what WSU was doing at that moment. Tgr4life hit the nail on the head.

Archived