Couric debuts on CBS News

TitanTiger

I actually thought she did a good job and I like the format and pacing of the show. I think I'm going to really like the freeSpeech segment each night where they give people from various backgrounds and viewpoints a minute to minute and a half, uninterrupted or rebutted, to talk about a subject of interest. Last night it was Morgan Spurlock ("Super Size Me") and he gave a good segment on how he doesn't believe the country is as divided as the politicians want to make it seem...that most people aren't camped out on the extremes of either side but somewhere in the middle. But of course, politicians find it easier to cast everything in stark contrasts because painting the other side in as bad a light as possible makes for better campaign soundbites.

You can watch his segment here (you'll probably need RealPlayer to view it): http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/eveningnews/main3420.shtml

That's the evening news homepage. His segment is in the top middle. Click to launch the video player.

On Thursday, Rush Limbaugh will deliver the freeSpeech segment. I imagine someone who is more on the left side of things will appear in the coming days as well and sometimes it will just be people on the street giving their take on something.

Anyone else watch it? I think overall it's a refreshing change to the nightly news format and that Couric did a good job.

I actually thought she did a good job and I like the format and pacing of the show. I think I'm going to really like the freeSpeech segment each night where they give people from various backgrounds and viewpoints a minute to minute and a half, uninterrupted or rebutted, to talk about a subject of interest. Last night it was Morgan Spurlock ("Super Size Me") and he gave a good segment on how he doesn't believe the country is as divided as the politicians want to make it seem...that most people aren't camped out on the extremes of either side but somewhere in the middle. But of course, politicians find it easier to cast everything in stark contrasts because painting the other side in as bad a light as possible makes for better campaign soundbites.

You can watch his segment here (you'll probably need RealPlayer to view it): http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/eveningnews/main3420.shtml

That's the evening news homepage. His segment is in the top middle. Click to launch the video player.

On Thursday, Rush Limbaugh will deliver the freeSpeech segment. I imagine someone who is more on the left side of things will appear in the coming days as well and sometimes it will just be people on the street giving their take on something.

Anyone else watch it? I think overall it's a refreshing change to the nightly news format and that Couric did a good job.

I'm not watching Katie Couric.

Sounds like CBS is trying to repair it's damaged image as being a liberal news agency thanks to Dan Rather. However, they dropped the ball by replacing him with the even more liberal Katie Couric.

I am actually surprised that the networks even attempt to have the evening news anymore. With all the 24 hour news channels and the internet, the audiences for the nightly news have just about vanished.

I don't see Couric as more liberal than Rather. And I thought she played it pretty straight last night. We'll see if that holds up.

She may have played it straight last night, but she has made some pretty liberal comments on the Today Show and also been a jerk toward conservative guests. When she was on the Today show, she might as well have been the liberal spokesperson as much as she repeated their mantra.

Did anyone actually see it last night other than me? I know somebody was watching. She got a 9.1 rating and 17 share in the overnights.

Don't get home in time. But I bet she got alot of her Today show audience last night.

Archived