Ticket privileges for AU-Montgomery students

greg6363

I'm not sure if anyone has heard about this development but it appears students at Auburn-Montgomery will now have the right to buy tickets for all athletic events (including football) at the main campus. This is very distressing to hear due to the fact the student section at Jordan-Hare is already past capacity. I can't see how the university can accomodate any more individuals into the pool. Besides, they go to Auburn University-Montgomery, not Auburn University. Look, membership has its privileges. I know big state universities like Penn State or Michigan or Missouri don't allow students at their satellite campuses (or campi) to buy student tickets so why should we start this practice. I'm not happy about this issue so I wanted to let everyone know and get some thoughts. Thanks and take care.

Please don't forget to supply a link when referencing an article or anything else you read on the internet.

Link

These tickets will be in addition to student tickets Auburn already sets aside for current students.

Auburn students pay fees every year that support athletic and student events. Since AUM students do not have to pay Auburn University student fees, their costs for student tickets will be significantly higher.

Although there are no detailed plans yet, ground rules for AUM students purchasing tickets should be set in the next few weeks.

A football package with tickets to only three or four home games is an idea, Jackson said.

“We can do something to give AUM students a break as part of the Auburn University family,” Jackson said. “They might get packages with games like Buffalo and Tulane. We just don’t know yet.”

Sounds like to me not current student tickets are going to be taken away. These are going to be "in addition" to the current amount of tickets set aside for students to purchase. Also, the tickets are going to be higher and not available for every home game. Sounds like they are mostly going to be available for the games that generally do not have as high of an attendance as the other games.

They used to do that back when I attended AUM as well and I really appreciated it. The important part of the name is AUBURN, not Montgomery.

The reason Penn State and Michigan don't do the same is:

1. Both main campuses have many, many more students than Auburn does already without a proportional increase in stadium size.

2. Both have more branch campuses than Auburn does adding to the above problem.

It's feasible for Auburn to do this and I don't see the problem.

They used to do that back when I attended AUM as well and I really appreciated it. The important part of the name is AUBURN, not Montgomery.

The reason Penn State and Michigan don't do the same is:

1. Both main campuses have many, many more students than Auburn does already without a proportional increase in stadium size.

2. Both have more branch campuses than Auburn does adding to the above problem.

It's feasible for Auburn to do this and I don't see the problem.

Also, AUM only has about 4-5K students of which 60% or more are commuters. Most of the people I had classes with couldn't have cared less about Auburn football.

Now, that being said there were some Auburn fans and actual Auburn students that would come to AUM for a term or two to get classes that may not be offered at Auburn when they need them. I think there is nothing wrong with offering the few AUM students that actually care student tickets at a higher rate.

Membership has it's priviledges?

Sounds bammerish don't ya think? And like Ranger pointed out, it won't be to all games.

Oh boy! All the pissed off married students who could not get spouse tickets to football games have even more reason to be pissed off about this. If they are willing to allow AUM students to attend football games, then why are they not setting out tickets for married students to do the same?

I think it is an OK concept, but put them out with the regular seats and not in the student section.

Oh boy! All the pissed off married students who could not get spouse tickets to football games have even more reason to be pissed off about this. If they are willing to allow AUM students to attend football games, then why are they not setting out tickets for married students to do the same?

I think it is an OK concept, but put them out with the regular seats and not in the student section.

Yeah, this isn't setting too well with me, but there's not much I can do about it. I got regular seats for the WSU game, so my wife got to go. A buddy of mine, who sat in the overcrowded student section, sent me a video of a fight in one of the entry tunnels and a passed out girl being drug through the same tunnel. Students were crammed in the tunnel like sardines, couldn't move, and the game had started. Meanwhile, the lower student section filled by whoever the holier than thou people are, had ample room.

Yeah, this isn't setting too well with me, but there's not much I can do about it. I got regular seats for the WSU game, so my wife got to go. A buddy of mine, who sat in the overcrowded student section, sent me a video of a fight in one of the entry tunnels and a passed out girl being drug through the same tunnel. Students were crammed in the tunnel like sardines, couldn't move, and the game had started. Meanwhile, the lower student section filled by whoever the holier than thou people are, had ample room.

Again, the article said that these would be in addition to the current student tickets. If the student section is already full and they are only making them available for games such as Buffalo and Tulane (i.e. games likely to have empty seats), it stands to reason that they'll be placed among those empty seats.

And this has no bearing on whether some AU main campus students were unable to get season tickets...unless they don't mind not going games like LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, etc. Because those kinds of games won't be available to the AUM students either. On top of that, they will have to pay significantly higher ticket prices than main campus students for these lower tier matchups.

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Again, the article said that these would be in addition to the current student tickets. If the student section is already full and they are only making them available for games such as Buffalo and Tulane (i.e. games likely to have empty seats), it stands to reason that they'll be placed among those empty seats.

And this has no bearing on whether some AU main campus students were unable to get season tickets...unless they don't mind not going games like LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, etc. Because those kinds of games won't be available to the AUM students either. On top of that, they will have to pay significantly higher ticket prices than main campus students for these lower tier matchups.

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

The only reason it is even an issue is that the uni made no effort to do a similar plan for married students who would like to take their spouse to a game. Make a ticket book for the lesser games and sell those to married students before sending tickets to AUM.

Archived