Auburn began LSU planning months ago

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rm....xml&coll=2

Auburn began LSU planning months ago

Sunday, September 10, 2006

If there is such a thing as the "thought police," they have Tommy Tuberville nailed.

The rule says no one is allowed to start thinking about the next game until the current game is over, and the Auburn coach tried.

But how do you not look ahead to the game that has decided the Southeastern Conference Western Division title in five of the past six seasons?

Tuberville told reporters after Auburn's 34-0 victory over Mississippi State that he started thinking about this week's game before the first half was over Saturday.

Later, Tuberville admitted LSU had been on his mind a lot longer than that.

``We've been planning for this (LSU) game since January," Tuberville said. ``We've talked to people about LSU. We watched film all summer. We've been making subtle preparations for this game all along."

For the past two weeks, every good thing his team did, Tuberville wondered if it would be good enough to beat LSU. Every mistake his team made not that there have been many Tuberville worried what such a mistake might mean against LSU.

It sounds like blasphemy in a state where the Iron Bowl is everything, but the LSU game has been the most important game to Auburn the past few years simply because of how close the games have been, and the stakes.

Last year, Auburn missed five field goals and lost by three points in overtime. It was Auburn's only loss in SEC play, but it was enough to send LSU to Atlanta and leave Auburn at home.

Two years ago, Auburn got a second chance at an extra point as time ran out, beating LSU 10-9. Auburn went on to win the SEC and finish the season undefeated.

During the past six seasons, Auburn is 3-3 against LSU, 3-0 at home and 0-3 on the road, with three division titles in the three seasons Auburn beat LSU.

Can you blame anyone around this program for not looking ahead?

``I heard a couple players talking about LSU in the locker room this week," Tuberville said. ``And a couple more talking about LSU in the training room.

``I put a stop to it. But I understand. It's a big game, a fun game for players and coaches and fans. We've been working on everything we're going to do (against LSU) since two-a-days, but we haven't done it all."

Auburn won't try the same plan this Saturday as the past two Saturdays.

"We can't play the same type ball next week that we have the last two weeks," Tuberville said, "but we've been working on that the last couple of weeks not that we haven't been preparing for these games, but "

No need to apologize. Auburn is 2-0, and has outscored its first two opponents 74-14.

Imagine what this team might have done had it really focused on Washington State and Mississippi State.

Tuberville gave the green light to his players to start thinking about LSU in the locker room immediately after the Mississippi State game.

What he didn't tell them was, he'd blown through that intersection months ago.

All I have to say is Auburn better play a lot better than I have seen so far. The o'line has not moved anyone out of the way yet. The d'line is getting moved around too much. Let's just hope that Auburn has not shown anything yet. This LSU team is good. I mean really good. Like my dark horse for the national title.

one reason why :au: will beat :lsu: this weekend. Preparation

yeah cuz you know LSU hasn't prepared one bit for AU right???? Preparing for a HUGE game months before the game must be something that ONLY Tubby does!!!! :headscratch::rolleyes:

yeah cuz you know LSU hasn't prepared one bit for AU right???? Preparing for a HUGE game months before the game must be something that ONLY Tubby does!!!! :headscratch::rolleyes:

two more reasons, Borges, Muschamp

yeah we have coordinators too...... Haven't allowed a TD in 12 straight quarters and have averaged 40+ pts over that same time frame. (going back to the Miami game)

I really can't wait for this game, I'm making the trip up with some friends (3 LSU, 1 AU). Coming without tickets, so hopefully we can find some at a reasonable price, if we find any at all. If not oh well we'll find somewhere cool to watch the battle!!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!

yeah we have coordinators too...... Haven't allowed a TD in 12 straight quarters and have averaged 40+ pts over that same time frame. (going back to the Miami game)

I really can't wait for this game, I'm making the trip up with some friends (3 LSU, 1 AU). Coming without tickets, so hopefully we can find some at a reasonable price, if we find any at all. If not oh well we'll find somewhere cool to watch the battle!!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!

not that this really means anything but tickets are going for $139 - $589 on stubhub.com. good luck on finding tickets and hope yall have a good time. all I ask is that you don't stink up the place with that corndog smell.

Not going to say that this is a win, but I think everyone will be very pleased with the prep for this game. I see our D being much more agressive and our O far more open.

I just hope we can run the ball this week. Even with the shut out and the 34 points I was not very impressed with the line on either side of the ball. Didn't stop their run very well and we couldn't get ours going. The secondary impressed me a lot though. But they did have a freshmen QB in his first start so I wasn't expecting that much out of him.

Hope you enjoy the trip pregame anyway GeauxScott. Look for me, I'll be wearing a homemade (Sharpie marker) T-Shirt saying "I smell corndogs".

Archived