Question for StatTiger

eagle76

With all that has been discussed about the new clock rules, can you and your infinite abilities with data, determine how that has affected us this season. I have read on another board, that uat has run almost exactly the same number of plays per game this year as they averaged last year and so has their opposing teams. I was wandering if we are running a significantly less number of offensive plays this year as compared to the average game last year and the same for our opposition. Maybe you can keep this statistic updated as the year goes on. I have also heard that due to the clock change, the average difference in offensive plays this year is down approximately 10% as comparted to previous years. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Combined plays by Auburn and opponents through three games...

2004: 379

2005: 372

2006: 368

The clock rule change has been most noticable in games when both teams have a higher pct of run than pass. This was the case before the rule change but it's more so now that the clock no longer stops on a first down and remains stopped until the next snap. The clock now runs the moment the officials place the ball in play, which means run oriented teams will have a huge advantage late in the game.

Combined plays by Auburn and opponents through three games...

2004: 379

2005: 372

2006: 368

The clock rule change has been most noticable in games when both teams have a higher pct of run than pass. This was the case before the rule change but it's more so now that the clock no longer stops on a first down and remains stopped until the next snap. The clock now runs the moment the officials place the ball in play, which means run oriented teams will have a huge advantage late in the game.

I think the clock has always only stopped long enough to set the chains and then start on the ready to play

I think the clock has always only stopped long enough to set the chains and then start on the ready to play

Prior to this season, the clock did not start until the ball was snapped following a 1st down play. There were situations when one team was crushing a lesser opponent and both coaches agreed to let the clock run in the 2nd half. The new rule has the clock running when the ball has been placed into play.

I would have bet a lot of money that the clock has always started after spotting, but at least this site says otherwise (No. 3).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview06/ne...tory?id=2543105

I'm STILL having trouble believing it.

Now that I look at it, I think maybe this applies to first downs on CHANGE OF POSSESSION. "Team B"?

Am I the only person who doesn't have a problem with the new rule change? Quite frankly, I think it just rewards coaches who actually manage the clock. After all, how many times have you watched a team just burn time in what you felt was an urgent situation?

Thanks for you reply. Great info. For us, so far, it hasn't really affected our play. The only teams that it will really have an adverse affect on is the team that is trailing in a close game. Less time available to try to win. Will put a premium on coaching strategy and making sure the players are ready to go asap after the ball is put into play. Thanks again Stat.

I would have bet a lot of money that the clock has always started after spotting, but at least this site says otherwise (No. 3).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview06/ne...tory?id=2543105

I'm STILL having trouble believing it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like I've just woken up in La-la-land or something.

I swear EVERY YEAR the clock has started when the chains are set on a first down (excluding change of possession). I know thats the way it seems when I watch games from last year too. I know thats how it happens on NCAA 2005.

On the rule changes, I wasn't too upset with them until last week. Because C-freakin'-B-freakin'-S took like 5 extra TV timeouts for the LSU game. If the rules are supposed to cut down on the time of the games, then let them do their job. Don't cram MORE commercial in.

Archived