A good question

Tigermike

After the first three games, what has surprised you the most about this AUBURN Tigers football team?

For me it would be the play of the DL! They ahve played great! Stopping the LSU running game was huge!

Special teams have played very well overall. Kody Bliss has been a weapon and changed the complexion of the LSU game.

The inability of duckworth and dunlap to dominate inferior DLs (wash st and msu), and the 4 HUGE breakdowns the OL had saturday. Only one of their sacks was a 'blitz more than they have in to protect' situation, the rest were just blown assignments.

1. Impressed with the play of the DL especially RFr Marks. He blew up a couple of plays on Saturday. I think he'll be one of the best in the SEC in 1 or 2 years.

2. The breakdown of the OL in the LSU game was depressing. I can more understand the MSU game, as they were keyed in on KI. But the protection of BC has been less than desireable.

3. I was solidly impressed with our backup DBs that played against LSU.

4. The kicking game has been phenomenal thus far (aside from JVs hiccup against LSU).

I can't wait for Trey Blackmon to get on the field and show what he can do. I am hoping that the OL backups are progressing and will be ready to step in and play like big-time SEC players.

The person who has impressed me so far has been Josh Thompson. That guy is ublockable! He spent most of the day in LSU's backfield and chased down plays from sideline to sideline. He seems to have really stepped up his game.

I knew he was a great punter, but the level that Bliss has stepped it up to has really surprised and impressed me. I thought he was a major factor in the LSU win the way he time and time again flipped field position for us. Very solid. Really the entire kicking game has been impressive and a bit of a surprise so far.

Matt Clark.....The kid KILLS the ball out of the back of the endzone. What a WEAPON ! ! !

What I'm impressed by is the fact that our D has played so heroically while missing two of our studs. Now that Sears and Blackmon are coming back, how formidable do you think our defense will be?

Surprises:

Matt Clark...someone has been lifting in the off season.

Kody Bliss...Field Posistion wins games

Our young safeties...They may be out of position but they close fast and hit hard...By the time Florida comes around they will understand their positioning and assignments better. IYAM they will be making big hits and big plays and may win us a game or two.

Sen'Derrick Marks and Pat Sims..Those guys can seriously play. I'm really glad Sims came back with the hunger to compete.

The defense has far surpassed my expectations, and it will only get better with the editions of Sears and ultimately Blackmon and experience is gainded by the young backs. Clark and Vaughn are the best in the country.

I'm not down on any part of the team, but I was expecting more out of Cox this year.

This is the first year that we've had a QB under Borges' guidance for more than one year. As well as he played last year, I thought he would be absolutely awesome.

Maybe it's not all his fault. Maybe losing Devin, Ben, Anthony and Cooper takes some getting used to.

I would take him over any other QB in the league; he will keep growing as the season progresses.

I'm not down on any part of the team, but I was expecting more out of Cox this year.

This is the first year that we've had a QB under Borges' guidance for more than one year. As well as he played last year, I thought he would be absolutely awesome.

Maybe it's not all his fault. Maybe losing Devin, Ben, Anthony and Cooper takes some getting used to.

I would take him over any other QB in the league; he will keep growing as the season progresses.

After watching the replay yesterday, I am pretty sure teh lack of experience for the WRs (save Taylor, of course) was a factor into basically LSU getting coverage sacks. We don't have many plays that require time for WRs to get into pattern, most are quick reads after 3 or 5 step drop. Those times when Cox couldn't get it to the primary or secondary b/c they were covered is result of great LSU DBs and inexperienced WRs for us. IMO.

I have been impressed with the level of intensity our D was/has played at. Herring, Savage, and Brock are headhunters!! I know why now.....did you see Muschamp on the sideline...that joker was bouncing all over the place after big plays by the D. I would play harder for him too. Herring has really stepped into the LB position as if he has played it for years. Great coaching move to get the best most athletic 11 on the field. They knew the talent we had at Safety in Savage, Brock, and Davis and knew those guys needed to be on the field as well as Herring.

Matt Clark needs a scholly next year!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should now start the "Boot it Kody, Boot it!!!" cheers. Monster of a punter.

Vaughn will not miss many kicks at all the rest of the year.

What are John Vaughn's stats from both hash marks? It seems he has a better percentage from the right hash mark.

THREESTEPDROP.JPG

The problem with the three step drop is the defense really needs to be in a zone defense to properly defend it. The safeties have to pick up the deep ball and/or missed tackles to prevent a TD, and the linebackers and corners should pick up the short, flats and middle stuff. I believe Auburn's defense has basically been man to man, so it's hard to defend the three step drop. IMHO.

THREESTEPDROP.JPG

The problem with the three step drop is the defense really needs to be in a zone defense to properly defend it. The safeties have to pick up the deep ball and/or missed tackles to prevent a TD, and the linebackers and corners should pick up the short, flats and middle stuff. I believe Auburn's defense has basically been man to man, so it's hard to defend the three step drop. IMHO.

Actually against LSU, Auburn was showing a lot of Man to Man but then would drop back into zone coverage to try and "confuse" Russell. We actually played quite a bit of zone on Sat.

Best surprise:

The Defense in general. The DL has been awesome to this point. Moving Will Herring to LB has turned out to be the best move the coaching staff has made this year to date. The young, inexperiences safeties have been better than expected save the "cushion" they were giving to LSU in the 4th quarter.

And if that isn't enough, there are three very good LB's who should all be playing within 2-3 weeks to add some depth.

Worst surprise:

The Wide receivers. CT has been the bell cow as expected, but for them to get any pressure off he and the running game, someone else is going to have to step up soon. I like the trio of Smith, Dunn and Rodriguez, but none of them have stepped out there as far as needed as of yet.

Overall, if the receiving corps does come around, and when the LB's get into the rotation, this could be a very good and deep team.

Archived