Miles wants clarification on calls, submits tapes to SEC

DaddyBoyAU

LSU's Miles seeks 'better understanding' of calls in loss to Auburn

I didn't start this thread to rehash the call, but thought the article was interesting. He's questioning 4 calls by the refs, one of course being the pass interference wave off

I'll break it down for him:

1) a flag was waived for PI

2) Another ref said the ball was tiped.

3) As a result of the ball being tipped they decided to waive the call (I don't think both refs saw both incidents so they couldn't get the timing right)

4) As soon as the flag was waived it became non-reviewable.

Move along now - nothing else to see here....

It's not like that is the first time ever that an official waved a flag off because of what another official saw. That is what they are suppose to do. Come together and make the right call when there is a question. Refs did a good job.

Does Miles not know the rules or what is going on? Remember last years TN game when he tried to call timeout when he had none.

Heard a writer from Shreveport on Max Howell's show earlier. He and Howell were talking and they agreed that it would have been much better on everyone if the flag wasn't thrown at all. It would have been a straight judgment call that no interference occurred. Then, the LSU crowd would have hollered the obligatory :bs: chant for a minute and moved on.

What the guest said that was interesting was, "What gets lost on everyone is the fact that Auburn held LSU to 1.8 yards per carry." In his opinion, THAT was the difference in the game. The team that wins the ground war, usually wins the game. They had zero ground game Saturday.

Eh, I see it as a little bit of crying in the towel and a little bit of Well What is the Right Call?

The waved off PI call is as interesting a call as I have seen. I don't think it is as clear cut as we as :au::homer: would all like to believe it is after reading the rules and the interpretation examples. {Edit:NEVERMIND! I was putting something from the examples into the rules and making the example part of the rule. I'm an idiot.)

It does stand to reason though that if the SEC officials come back and say that call was wrong then the LSU faithful and the national media can point and say that Auburn won the game because of crappy officiating, which is not the case. The ball was not thrown in the end zone so it would not have absolutely resulted in points.

The facts are that an very good Auburn team beat a very good LSU team. Anything beyond that is a assumption. They could have gotten the PI call, then tried to pass into the end zone and been picked off or fumbled or a meteor could have hit the stadium. But it did not happen.

Article from AP

BC-FBC--Auburn-LSU Calls,0218

SEC: Officials made right calls in Auburn-LSU game

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - The Southeastern Conference determined

that officials made the right decision in reversing a pass

interference call late in the Auburn-LSU game.

"Basically, the call of removing the flag would be correct

because the ball was uncatchable after the defender tipped it,"

SEC media relations director Charles Bloom said Monday.

Auburn defensive back Zach Gilbert was flagged for interfering

with receiver Early Doucet deep in Auburn territory in the 7-3 LSU

loss. The flag was waved off because officials deemed that Eric

Brock's tip of the ball made it uncatchable.

Another controversial fourth-quarter call that went Auburn's way

was also correct, Bloom said.

An LSU interception on third-and-29 was negated because Daniel

Francis was penalized for interference on receiver Courtney Taylor,

giving Auburn an automatic first down.

That pass was ruled a catchable ball, Bloom said.

LSU coach Les Miles had complained after the game about both

decisions, saying the interference on Taylor "didn't disable him

from catching the ball."

Miles also said he believed the other play should have been pass

interference because the ball was tipped downfield, not at the line

of scrimmage.

The rule states only that an infraction occurs when the contact

"could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a

catchable forward pass."

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

"Hi, my name is Les Miles. I am the Head Football Coach at LSU. I make roughly 2 million dollars a year in salary and probably another 1 million dollars in endorsements. My job responsibilities include overseeing the coaching and overall development of athletic skills associated with the collegiate game of football. And Oh, by the way, I DON'T KNOW THE RULES of this game."

Another example of corndog whinning. Just as Saban whinned about the personal foul call on the PAT in 04.

I never remember hearing anybody from Auburn complaining about the "mysterious whistles".

Personally, I believe he's playing up to the corndog fan base with a little misdirection in an atempt to get the spotlight off of the loss and himself.

Oh come on now, guys. You have to kind of expect this from any self-respecting coach. I mean, to keep his image up for all of the LSU fans, he has to complain at least a little.

Every coach submits tapes to the conference every week.. it is a normal proactice... it's just this time because of the controversy they decided to make some press about it.

I believe the ref who threw the flag was behind the play and did not see the pass tipped. The ref in front is the one who saw the play and made the case to pick up the flag.

It was the right call.

I know and easy way of avoiding pass interference calls.....run the ball more. :) OH wait you couldn't could you.That might have had something to do with your loss :poke: .

I wonder, now that the SEC office has given a "clarification" and ruled that the play and peanlty was called/not called correctly, will this put it to bed?

Archived