Skarbinsky article

PigskinPat

Of course you'd "like him" in this instance...wouldn't all au fans like him for tooting their horn. lol

As for Shula's suspensions and those all being taken care of by third game and before the ark game...would you have felt better if Ark would've been the 2nd or 3rd game and he hadn't suspended anyone for that and opted to suspend them on the 4th game against an LMU or whomever? My point is...you gotta gettem outta the way the first part of the season, if he'd have waited til we play MSU in the 6th or 7th week then suspended them all or something that extreme then i could see your point...another thing...i think most teams schedule cupcakes at the first of the year and most offseason discipline is performed in the first few games of the season...

I have no idea what TT's policy is or what all of you guys' players miscues were, etc...i know that Blackmon had some type of alcoholic related incident, but that's all i know of.

Disclaimer: Not trying to be a troll here...really looking for objective conversation concerning SEC football esp Al/Au programs. Oh, bash the heck out of the tide...i don't mind reading it.

Of course you'd "like him" in this instance...wouldn't all au fans like him for tooting their horn. lol

As for Shula's suspensions and those all being taken care of by third game and before the ark game...would you have felt better if Ark would've been the 2nd or 3rd game and he hadn't suspended anyone for that and opted to suspend them on the 4th game against an LMU or whomever? My point is...you gotta gettem outta the way the first part of the season, if he'd have waited til we play MSU in the 6th or 7th week then suspended them all or something that extreme then i could see your point...another thing...i think most teams schedule cupcakes at the first of the year and most offseason discipline is performed in the first few games of the season...

I have no idea what TT's policy is or what all of you guys' players miscues were, etc...i know that Blackmon had some type of alcoholic related incident, but that's all i know of.

Disclaimer: Not trying to be a troll here...really looking for objective conversation concerning SEC football esp Al/Au programs. Oh, bash the heck out of the tide...i don't mind reading it.

Real discipline does not involve retroactively suspending players after you see they were not needed to win a given game. Neither does it involve "suspending" a player conveniently during a game where he is injured. Maybe that is why AU only has two players being punished, only one of which is for behavior this past summer, while UAT has 7. If I was you I would plan to see that gap widden in the future as yall become more like Tennessee minus a few W's.

... My point is...you gotta gettem outta the way the first part of the season, if he'd have waited til we play MSU in the 6th or 7th week then suspended them all or something that extreme then i could see your point...another thing...i think most teams schedule cupcakes at the first of the year and most offseason discipline is performed in the first few games of the season...

The point of discipline is to punish the offenders ASAP. If you do this, you not only get the transgressor(s) taken care of right away, you set a public example to the rest of the team so that they don't get the idea to do the same. Maybe Shulla is doing some post-graduate work in criminology or something. It sure seems like he's experimenting with all kind of theories in how to discipline. Here's hoping he can write a dissertation on his research soon. :cheers:

I am not flaming but anyone who thinks Shula’s punishments to be legit needs to wake up. Not comparing AL to AU but even similar instances in Texas Mack Brown suspended the game the game after the incident happened. His best cover corner for the BIGGEST game of the Texas season, OU is a big game but really wont be a fight at all. In contrast Shula waits till the 3rd game in suspend some players??? Why because “it was unfair to suspend all 7 at one time” that’s just malarkey it was unfair because Hawaii had a offense and the bama D was not sure they could stop without Simpsons team leading 10 tackles Hawaii could have easily won. Moving to now suspend these guys for ULM who Bama could have beat with half the third string and two university bus drivers out on the field. If I was a bama fan, I would be upset this only strengths the idea that well as long as you’re a star athlete you can get away with anything what kind of punishment is missing one of your teams 4 cup cake games.

Well, i gotta admit that Shula is still "green" and has figured out what truly works yet or maybe like you said that he thought that it would hurt the others who didn't disobey team policies by making all 7 ineligible for the same game. Whatever his logic is... they should be punished asap...but who knows what happened behind the scenes...even with ya'll...i'm sure TT gave them more than just a tongue lashing and a game suspension. The thing about it is that eeveryone is gonna have the underage drinking, DUI's, bar fights from time to time, etc, but the heck with the other stuff.

Well, i gotta admit that Shula is still "green" and has figured out what truly works yet or,,,,,,,

So if he loses to AUBURN two more times you will agree that he is still learning and should stay?

The thing about it is that eeveryone is gonna have the underage drinking, DUI's, bar fights from time to time, etc, but the heck with the other stuff.

while this may or may not be true, if someone does partake in these behaviors, they don't necessarily have the right to represent your school on the school's biggest stage (or even their smallest).

perhaps suspending all 7 at once, and thereby harming the overall team, would've been a stronger incentive for all not to step out of line. imagine losing to a team you should beat because of your off-the-field mess up. you let yourself down, and your team. that should mean something.

shula has mishandled these incidents from the get go.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. Shula can have whatever discipline policy he wants. This will be an Alabama problem and it will become a bigger problem.

Shula truly FUBAR-ed the whole 'discipline' thing.

A. Prior to the season, Juwan said he hadn't heard of any punishment.

B. Juwan said he deserved Ice Cream.

C. Shula said nothing.

D. The first game comes around and Shula "suspends" DJ Hall, who was hurt. Juwan makes 9 tackles. He clearly made a difference against UH.

E. After the game, Juwan says that "it's all behind him now, time to move on."

F. Shula suspends some players no one has heard of for the second game.

G. Shula digs himself deeper by suspending Juwan for the U-freakin-L-freakin-M game.

H. Retroactively, Shula says it was his plan all along.

I. Retroactively, Juwan goes AGAINST what was already said and claims that coach TOLD him he would miss one game.

You can believe the company-line if you want to, but we all know that this all is just a CYA event.

CYA indeed. The sad part is just how many west vancsters BELIEVE it.

Well, i gotta admit that Shula is still "green" and has figured out what truly works yet or maybe like you said that he thought that it would hurt the others who didn't disobey team policies by making all 7 ineligible for the same game. Whatever his logic is... they should be punished asap...but who knows what happened behind the scenes...even with ya'll...i'm sure TT gave them more than just a tongue lashing and a game suspension. The thing about it is that eeveryone is gonna have the underage drinking, DUI's, bar fights from time to time, etc, but the heck with the other stuff.

Well, it's the difference between doing what is expedient and doing what it takes to build a program over the long-term. I guarantee you that after CTT suspended two key defensive players for the biggest game of the season, there's absolutely no question among players where the coach stands on discipline.

On the other hand, Mike Shula took the path of least resistance and essentially told the players that it's okay to break the team rules, for the punishment will be nothing more than missing a gimme game. All you have to do is look at the discipline nightmare that Phil Fulmer faced last season to know how quickly a team can unravel with lax discipline.

one very important thing to note is that tubby actually punishes guys. i was on this board posting that sears' punishment was actually bordering on cruel just last week. i actually still think it was too much, but that's beside the point. the point is: kevin and tray suffered for their mistake. kevin was suspended 5 games for a dui. tray has already missed 3, and is out at least one more, for a public drunk/minor in possession double charge.

contrast that with juwan simpson getting pulled over for a traffic violation, getting cited for possession of an unlicenced handgun (dropped), and a drug possession (unless i'm terribly mistaken) and got a game. the fact that the game he missed was ulm makes it that much worse. add to it the whole "dj hall is listed on the injured list, but we're just gonna call it a suspension" thing... well, bama fans have to be disappointed.

any way you cut those circumstances, both coaches are definitely setting a tone and example for their programs; the examples are just a stark contrast to one another.

Archived