An observation from an LSU alum

geaux_time

I'v been scanning these forums for the last week or so, and i must say i really did have a DEEP hatred for you guys before. I'm guessing it comes from the back and forth wins we have and just the down and dirty games we play. I must say that i appreciate the respect you give our school and i would like to offer the same back to you. Sure you say we smell like corndogs and think we cant read, but we wonder why yall have so many mascots and choose to live in Alabama? I think most of its all in good fun, plus we both like to laugh at alabama as they think of yesteryear and there 57 fictious national championships or however many they claim. I know the questionable calls the last game have stirred up a roar(no pun intended), but im more pissed at our quarterback's inept ability to run a two minute drill! Its the south anyways can we expect anything but a little mischief? So here's to both of us running the table and to the West taking back the SEC and keeping it here. Even though im sure you still think i smell like a corndog, and im trying to figure out what the hell a plainsmen is.

P.S. :puke::ua:

get someone to read this to you

Auburn's nickname is the TIGERS.

Auburn's battle cry is "WAR EAGLE!"

Through the years, these two Auburn terms have often been used interchangeably and incorrectly. There are hats and T-shirts with Auburn War Eagles on them. Even the news media has been known to refer to an Auburn team as the War Eagles or to an Auburn player as a War Eagle.

In fact, when the Tigers play a game on the road, there is often an article written in the local paper wondering why Auburn has three nicknames -- the Auburn Tigers, the Auburn War Eagles and the Auburn Plainsmen.

To set the record straight, Auburn has only one nickname -- the Auburn Tigers.

"War Eagle" is a battle cry, used by Auburn fans in the same manner Alabama fans yell "Roll Tide!" and Arkansas fans yell "Woo Pig Sooie!" You never hear Alabama referred to as the Alabama Roll Tides or Arkansas as the Arkansas Sooie Pigs, and to call Auburn teams the Auburn War Eagles would be just as incorrect. The battle cry "War Eagle" should never have an "s" on the end of it.

The nickname "Tigers" comes from a line in Oliver Goldsmith's poem, "The Deserted Village," published in May 1770, "where crouching tigers wait their hapless prey..."

The term "Plainsmen" comes from a line in that same Goldsmith poem, "Sweet Auburn, loveliest (sic) village of the plain..." Since Auburn athletes were, in the early days, men from the Plains, it was only natural for newspaper headline writers to shorten that to "Plainsmen."

It may be confusing to an outsider, but to Auburn people, it is very simple. That's why War Eagle VI, Auburn's golden eagle symbol, is named Tiger!

I'v been scanning these forums for the last week or so, and i must say i really did have a DEEP hatred for you guys before. I'm guessing it comes from the back and forth wins we have and just the down and dirty games we play. I must say that i appreciate the respect you give our school and i would like to offer the same back to you. Sure you say we smell like corndogs and think we cant read, but we wonder why yall have so many mascots and choose to live in Alabama? I think most of its all in good fun, plus we both like to laugh at alabama as they think of yesteryear and there 57 fictious national championships or however many they claim. I know the questionable calls the last game have stirred up a roar(no pun intended), but im more pissed at our quarterback's inept ability to run a two minute drill! Its the south anyways can we expect anything but a little mischief? So here's to both of us running the table and to the West taking back the SEC and keeping it here. Even though im sure you still think i smell like a corndog, and im trying to figure out what the hell a plainsmen is.

P.S. :puke::ua:

Thanks for a classy post. Anybody that don't like bama is a friend of mine :)

I broke bread and shared toasts with several LSU fans last Saturday and all I smelled was good Cajun cooking. But what the heck, we have to answer back to all those "Tiger Bait" taunts. Besides I like corndogs.

The hardest "hitting" game I have ever witnessed in person. I will be pulling for the "other" West Tigers to run the table too!

Guest Tigrinum Major

I had a UT grad read it to me, thanks, yall use might big words in alabama

Nice hustle.

Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Mendlebaum. Keep putting the Magic in Magic Pan.

Man, I personally like LSU...always have...especially the Golden Girls...my son-in-law is an LSU guy (and he cooks dang good stuff). My only regret is that we are both in the West. A better setting would be to see us play each other for the SEC championship!

I don't see any team beating LSU for the rest of the season.

Well how long did that take for the UT grad to read it to you?

The corndog & multi-mascot jabs are throwaway stuff -- to the adults, anyway. This rivalry has grown exponentially ('nuther big word) over the last couple of years. That's going to happen when the last three games all decided on the last play. I'm not going to say "it's a shame somebody had to lose" because AU has had its share of being on the losing end of that. I'm glad we won this year. :thumbsup::au: WDE

Nice hustle.

TM, I must say that some of your references are dry and quite subtle. However, when I catch on I do enjoy them. . .

World's Greatest Dad

Actually LSU and Clemson have something to do with why we have been called Plainsmen.

Because to be Tigers meant you were champions, both LSU and Auburn adopted the nickname. To be the "Tiger" of your conference meant you were the class of the conference.

Because sportswriters had to write about the Tigers from the Plains, the Tigers from the Bayou, the Tigers from the.... they just started calling them the Plainsmen and the Bayou Tigers, etc.

Actually LSU and Clemson have something to do with why we have been called Plainsmen.

Because to be Tigers meant you were champions, both LSU and Auburn adopted the nickname. To be the "Tiger" of your conference meant you were the class of the conference.

Because sportswriters had to write about the Tigers from the Plains, the Tigers from the Bayou, the Tigers from the.... they just started calling them the Plainsmen and the Bayou Tigers, etc.

But note that Auburn played it's first game as the Tigers a year before LSU did.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Nice hustle.

TM, I must say that some of your references are dry and quite subtle. However, when I catch on I do enjoy them. . .

World's Greatest Dad

I try to entertain only the more astute observers. When I saw the LSU alum's handle, that was the first thing that popped into my head.

Thank you for your support.

Alabama is the Crimson Tide (in honor of a tie with Auburn).

Their mascot is an elephant.

Tennessee are the Volunteers.

Their mascot is a hound.

North Carolina are the Tarheels.

Their mascot is a ram.

Navy . . .Midshipmen

Goat.

Army . . . Cadets

Mule.

Western Kentucky . . .Hilltoppers

Red.

And on and on--

Auburn has been covered--and you haven't seen a "real" use of Plainsmen in a long time. (There is nothing wrong with an extra name on an occasional basis.)

Alabama is the Crimson Tide (in honor of a tie with Auburn).

Their mascot is an elephant.

Tennessee are the Volunteers.

Their mascot is a hound.

North Carolina are the Tarheels.

Their mascot is a ram.

Navy . . .Midshipmen

Goat.

Army . . . Cadets

Mule.

Western Kentucky . . .Hilltoppers

Red.

And on and on--

Auburn has been covered--and you haven't seen a "real" use of Plainsmen in a long time. (There is nothing wrong with an extra name on an occasional basis.)

Wow, I was about to run down the same examples...heaven forbid a school like Auburn have unique traditions.

AND WHO FREAKIN CARES IF NO ONE UNDERSTANDS THEM??? All the more reason to love your school and it's uniqueness. I just don't understand all the obsession over Auburn's traditions. I wonder why people care so much? :blink:

To me, LSU is the game I look forward to all year. Bama is Bama, but LSU is always a hard fought game and is becoming a huge rivalry. I love it!

Come back anytime!

Archived