Tuberville won't run score up

SupperClub

Link

Won't run it up: Tuberville said he will not seek to score big against Buffalo, a 44-point underdog, with an eye on the polls.

"That's not what this program is about," Tuberville said. "We want to go out and play as best we can. We'll take one point every week and go on with it. We're going to approach this game like it is going to be a hard-fought game, which it will be.

"We're not practicing for next week and we're not thinking about last week."

I, for one, am glad that our HC is not talking about running up the score. First, let's concentrate on WINNING the game. Then, let's work on those areas that we need to improve and get a ton of PT for the young players. I know that score might impress the espn goobers, but, we are too classy for that. Now, if in the corse of winning, we happen to score a ton of points...So be it!

Put in 2nd and 3rd string when the game is no longer in doubt and let them play. It is Buffalos' job to stop us from scoring I say.

Exactly! Play the dept chart to gain experience - you never know when they'll need to step up and play in the big games. On the same note, the 2nd and 3rd string gets no real experience from just running dives up the middle - let them run the gameplan.

I see this game ending up much like the Citadel game in ’04. (An Auburn 33-3 victory) Auburn could pretty much name the score but will play a very conservative game with many players in the rotation.

To be honest, running up the score against Buffalo probably wouldn't do much good anyway. I mean, who is Buffalo anyway? There is no reason to try anything special against an opponent of this nature. Who would it impress? USC plays its 3rd game against Arizona, a team they are sure to annhialate. (sp?) ESPN would probably ridicule us for playing such a weak OOC team and for running up the score on them.

The best thing to do this weekend is to put in the 1st stringers for a couple of possessions, let them work out their soreness and their kinks, score some points and put in the 2nd and 3rd stringers. Auburn's offense needs to execute better for the upcoming SEC showdowns. We are at 80% effectiveness right now. I'd say we need to be at least 90% or better before we take on South Carolina or Arkansas. Big wins over those opponents mean more in the long run than do beating up on Buffalo.

Ryan

"Won't run it up: Tuberville said he will not seek to score big against Buffalo, a 44-point underdog, with an eye on the polls.

"That's not what this program is about," Tuberville said. "We want to go out and play as best we can. We'll take one point every week and go on with it. We're going to approach this game like it is going to be a hard-fought game, which it will be. "

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i....xml&coll=1

To be honest, running up the score against Buffalo probably wouldn't do much good anyway. I mean, who is Buffalo anyway? There is no reason to try anything special against an opponent of this nature. Who would it impress? USC plays its 3rd game against Arizona, a team they are sure to annhialate. (sp?) ESPN would probably ridicule us for playing such a weak OOC team and for running up the score on them.

The best thing to do this weekend is to put in the 1st stringers for a couple of possessions, let them work out their soreness and their kinks, score some points and put in the 2nd and 3rd stringers. Auburn's offense needs to execute better for the upcoming SEC showdowns. We are at 80% effectiveness right now. I'd say we need to be at least 90% or better before we take on South Carolina or Arkansas. Big wins over those opponents mean more in the long run than do beating up on Buffalo.

Ryan

Yes they play Arizona, but what a "great" conference they are in! (I can hear ESPN now!) Look how hard it is to run it up on teams in this conference!

Auburn will average 35 points or more in the next 3 games......bank on it!

USuCk has as bad an O line as MSU.

Auburn will win that one by 35-45 points.

Arkansas will be a bit tougher, but I see a 21-28 point win over them.

Ryan

But, if we don't run the score up, you'll hear that we "struggled" against such a weak team. Especially considering all the recent criticism of LSU & Auburn having weak offenses (yeah right). We all know, all these goons do is look at the score, so it won't matter if we stay in control the entire game to them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I would call this the Mid-Season Scrimmage Game. You will likely see repitive playcalling as we work on execution for down the road. I see Cox and Irons out before halftime. They play maybe one series in the third as well.

I do expect them to work the run game heavily and keep the clock running, though. I do not foresee a lot of passing in Auburn's future this weekend.

We will see some passing if Blake Field is in the game. They will want to give him some more experience reading coverages, instead of solely handing off the ball all day.

Being humble and "having class" is easy when you are riding high and I DO admire Coach TT for his approach. However, it's always interesting to see how others on this board react when we fail to cover the line and drop in the polls as a result of holding the score down. Sometimes you only get one chance to climb one spot in the polls as we saw in 2004. Just another point of view. :au:

Being humble and "having class" is easy when you are riding high and I DO admire Coach TT for his approach. However, it's always interesting to see how others on this board react when we fail to cover the line and drop in the polls as a result of holding the score down. Sometimes you only get one chance to climb one spot in the polls as we saw in 2004. Just another point of view. :au:

What you are saying is true. However, in 2004, the "You don't drop until you lose" rule was still in effect because USC was at the top. This year, they are below us, and you are right, we may very well drop even after beating Buffalo by 30+points.

If we do everything in our power to destroy Buffalo and run up a 70 to nothing score, I think it would all be in vain. We might just put ourselves in a situation where we lose some key people to injuries. We need to be healthy going into USC. Granted, it probably won't take much to beat SC but better safe than sorry heading into that slew of conference games.

We're not just trying to politick for the National Championhip, we're trying to win the SEC championship first, and worry about the other stuff later. Playing our game is important. Our game is not Southern Cal's game. We win, we win physical, we win convincingly, and we move on to the next game. I've tried to not let the "experts" get to me because in the end, its not up to us. One game at a time right? Overworking ourselves for one game could put us in a bad position in the long run.

Ryan

It's a mistake not to run up the score against the Buffaloes, Citadels, W.Kentuckys, etc. You don't have to keep the 1st string in the whole game to do it. Let the 2nd & 3rd stringers score as much as they can.

CTT is missing the boat if he doesn't think he needs to impress the voters. Whether he likes it or not, AU is in competition with SC, OSU, UM, WVU and all the other top 10 teams. The voters are looking at the smallest things to separate one team from another, and a 33-3 Citadel score doesn't cut it. You give the moron TV announcers a chance to say something profound like, "they just didn't show me enough offense." Just winning the game isn't good enough. If SC beats Arizona by 30 points and AU beats Buffalo by 30 points this weekend -- then what chance do you think the voters are going to jump AU over SC? None, right? They will forever point to the anemic score to justify their vote for the team that blew out the creampuff.

Anyone that's read my threads in the past knows I despise the polls with a passion. I don't appreciate that we have to play this game. But the fact remains: only the top 2 teams get to play for the BCS title. None of the voters can see all the top 25 teams' game in their entirety. But they can see the highlights. Lots of highlights impresses voters more so than just a few highlights. It's a beauty contest. If CTT wants to win then he's going to have to flash some beauty. That's what the voters want to see. It is NOT a chivalry & class contest. Voters are unimpressed with low scoring games against creampuffs. Heck, they aren't very much impressed with low scoring games against the like of teams like LSU.

The lessons of 2004 are still fresh. With a weak OOC schedule, AU needed help to get the attention of voters. Imagine if they had scored say 80 each on Citadel & W. Kentucky? Think that might have turned a few (empty) pollsters' heads?

Ryan

But, if we don't run the score up, you'll hear that we "struggled" against such a weak team. Especially considering all the recent criticism of LSU & Auburn having weak offenses (yeah right). We all know, all these goons do is look at the score, so it won't matter if we stay in control the entire game to them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

AU could win 45-0 without running up the score. Running up the score is like 77-0.

Actually, last time Turner Gill came to AU, he and Mike Rogier were still playing with 5 minutes left even though they had a big lead. That's on Osborne, and not Gill, though.

Actually, last time Turner Gill came to AU, he and Mike Rogier were still playing with 5 minutes left even though they had a big lead. That's on Osborne, and not Gill, though.

:angry:

I was there. I remember that game. Only game I've EVER left early. Left in the fourth quarter, I think. It was 21-7. Got back to the car and it was 42.

I blame Turner Gill, too. Pin 84 on him Saturday. Score on the last play of the game and go for two.

Archived