What South Carolina thinks about AU

autiger518

I think Carolina will play very well but will that be enough probably not! But, as long as we continue to show improvement we might meet you guys again in another year or so in Atlanta!!! :usc::usc:

I think Carolina will play very well but will that be enough probably not! But, as long as we continue to show improvement we might meet you guys again in another year or so in Atlanta!!! :usc::usc:

Alright, I'll go easy on you when you say that about david irons but, the fact that david doesnt have the media coverage, doesnt mean he's gonna get beat by rice. DI has shutdown one of the best receivers in the league in Bowe and one of the best receivers in the pac-10 in that guy from WSU... But no, really, DI is damn good, you'll see, assuming that mitchell has a chance to get the ball to him. The lack of mitchell last year is what killed ya'll, this year, I'm looking at a 28-10 type score... not a rout, but a solid whoopin' B) best of luck!

lemme just say a handful of things, quickly.

number one: on thursday, you will get to see the best punter in america, but he won't be wearing a south carolina jersey. his name is kody bliss. he was the guy bombing two 60 yard punts against lsu. i'll take him over anyone else in the country, and twice on game day.

number two: david's the best true cover corner in the country. no lie. great hips. great make up speed. rice is the best wideout in the sec. when he played us last year, he got? 3 catches. don't be shocked if david and the boys do it again (especially if wilhite is healthy; they're the best one-two i've seen at auburn since the early bowden days).

number three: spurrier is the best weapon you have. i don't think any coach in the country (other than maybe tubby) is scarier when he's the underdog.

number four: look for a lot of random contributions in the passing game. courtney taylor's the man (T.O. lite), but i think this is a game for the gabe mckenzies (TE), carl stewarts (FB), and brad lesters of the world (2nd TB).

number five: this is newton's first real game as a qb. nothing against wofford or fau matters b/c the scout team was better preparation than that. if we get to him, like you think we can, it's gonna be a long night for you guys.

all in all, i expect it to be tighter than the line (14 last i saw), but irons salts the game away in the fourth.

number one: on thursday, you will get to see the best punter in america, but he won't be wearing a south carolina jersey. his name is kody bliss. he was the guy bombing two 60 yard punts against lsu. i'll take him over anyone else in the country, and twice on game day.

number two: david's the best true cover corner in the country. no lie. great hips. great make up speed. rice is the best wideout in the sec. when he played us last year, he got? 3 catches. don't be shocked if david and the boys do it again (especially if wilhite is healthy; they're the best one-two i've seen at auburn since the early bowden days).

number three: spurrier is the best weapon you have. i don't think any coach in the country (other than maybe tubby) is scarier when he's the underdog.

number four: look for a lot of random contributions in the passing game. courtney taylor's the man (T.O. lite), but i think this is a game for the gabe mckenzies (TE), carl stewarts (FB), and brad lesters of the world (2nd TB).

number five: this is newton's first real game as a qb. nothing against wofford or fau matters b/c the scout team was better preparation than that. if we get to him, like you think we can, it's gonna be a long night for you guys.

all in all, i expect it to be tighter than the line (14 last i saw), but irons salts the game away in the fourth.

All in all I agree with you man, except...David Irons is probably the best cover corner the country, but Sidney's strength is not beating his man with his speed, he's gonna jump over top of you to get the ball and break your tackle...I'll take 6-4 sidney over 5-11 David Irons on a jump ball anyday. Again, you shouldnt come to any conclusions based on what happened last year...Antonio Heffner is now struggling at Middle Tennessee St., and started for us in last years game (one of sidney's 3 catches was the 54 yarder for our only score). I'm looking forward to seeing our secondary matching up against your receivers, especially Fred Bennett vs. Courtney Taylor...I'm just worried about us stopping your run, there inlies the key.

All in all I agree with you man, except...David Irons is probably the best cover corner the country, but Sidney's strength is not beating his man with his speed, he's gonna jump over top of you to get the ball and break your tackle...I'll take 6-4 sidney over 5-11 David Irons on a jump ball anyday. Again, you shouldnt come to any conclusions based on what happened last year...Antonio Heffner is now struggling at Middle Tennessee St., and started for us in last years game (one of sidney's 3 catches was the 54 yarder for our only score). I'm looking forward to seeing our secondary matching up against your receivers, especially Fred Bennett vs. Courtney Taylor...I'm just worried about us stopping your run, there inlies the key.

Straight up jump ball of course SR has the advantage b/c of height. But, one hesitation by SN b/c of coverage and he will get sacked. SN will have to hit on quick slants and the like to be effective. If the USC OL is as bad as y'all have indicated then 3 to 5 step drops will not get it done, ask Brodie Croyle. I am hoping we see a little more passing by AU to the TE and to the WRs, but this game will be won or lost passed on AU running the football. Don't see USC doing that.

AU 38

USC 6, maybe 10

Steve gets asked by ppl around here all the time why he doesnt throw more slants, and his answer is that the defense never covers us so that we get the chance to do that. Our O-line wont be as bad as advertised, even in the UGA game since we get one of our more experienced lineman back, James Thompson, and our best blocking tight end Andy Boyd will play for the second straight game after coming off injury. To have a chance our OL has to step up and establish a running game first and foremost...then we have to stop your run, and hope for some fair bounces.

While I wish I could say that I'm confident South Carolina was going to win Thurs.... well... no can do. I truly respect the level of play that your AU Tigers put out each week and hope that is a level that my Gamecocks can acheive sooner than later.

That being said... I DO believe this will not be the catastrophe that the game was last year... for these few reasons....

1. David Irons can NOT (as well as any other cb in the country) guard Sidney Rice man on man. This is not a knock on DI... it is simply a fact. Nobody can guard Rice man up. I see a lot of posters on here as well as on Cockytalk keep reminding themselves that Rice only had 3 catches last year and 1 touchdown. The fact is... he had a frigging FULLBACK throwing the ball to him. To counter my own point is to state that your excellent coaches at AU also realize this and he will be double teamed all night long. It's kinda like walking Barry Bonds.... why should a team let one man beat them?

2. Our defense is a lot faster this year. Jasper Brinkley at mlb will have his eyes in the backfield all night long. Now... if he can get the rest of his body back there against your solid OL remains to be seen. I'll take the optimistic choice and say yes. Our pass defense is solid and I really expect for AU to just pound and pound. I fully expect AU to gather up a good deal of rushing yds, but I just don't think they'll come in LONG runs. Hence... I believe your scoring drives will take up a lot of time. Therefore... I see you scoring in the 20s ... not the 40s.

3. Steve Spurrier.... He ain't no idiot (like me). He KNOWS that our OL is the weakest link we have and that your DL will spend a lot of time in our backfield. Again.... HE KNOWS THIS. He doesn't believe that we've all of a sudden got this awesome line that's going to open huge holes for our rbs and qbs. And just as he knows this.... he will game plan for it. His first step was putting Syvelle back at QB. His next step was... well I guess we'll see Thurs.

AU Nation, I expect a great game Thurs night, with a lot of surprises... what do we have to lose?

All my eternal optimism aside I do think AU will leave with a W and we'll leave the game a better team for having played y'all. Good luck and here's to wishing for an injury free game.

AU 27

USC 14

Nobody can guard Rice man up.

We man'ed up on Rice and had success

If you're referring to the UGA game, its rather difficult to get the ball off when your QB is running for his life the whole night, so dont read much into that either. The receiver can't do anything without the ball coming in his direction, so you can't say you stuffed Sidney with man coverage.

Uh, the only team Spurrier likes to beat more than Auburn is Georgia (probably because the only team that beat him more than us when he was @ Florida, was FSU). Be afraid, be very afraid of this game.

spurrier worries me. south carolina personell does not. here's the thing. usc posters keep saying "david can't cover sidney man up; no one can." then a uga poster says, "we did it." the reply is: you harrassed our qb! that's not covering sidney! BUT IT IS. a corner is only asked to cover a wide out as long as the qb has time to throw it. that's all. why did he only have 3 catches (and the td was against our 2nd string defense when the game was 48-0 against a backup who has since quit the team... not impressive)? because we lived on top of heffner (and he's a high school qb).

if we play solid up front (which includes getting pressure in passing situations), david can cover any receiver in college football man on man. any receiver. if he's got to defend for 4, 5, 6 seconds? he's gonna get beat at least half the time. just like any corner alive. it's not possible to shield a receiver for extended stretches of time b/c when the play breaks down, he has every advantage.

if our line plays well, david can iso on rice all night and have success... just like uga did. simple as that. david's too fast, too instinctive, and too physical to get beat badly on a first or second read. height difference or no.

spurrier worries me. south carolina personell does not. here's the thing. usc posters keep saying "david can't cover sidney man up; no one can." then a uga poster says, "we did it." the reply is: you harrassed our qb! that's not covering sidney! BUT IT IS.

What?? You cant say you stuck on a receiver if he never gets the ball, and thus the OPPORTUNITY for the corner to shut him down...a more accurate statement would be to say that your D-Line shut down our passing attack with constant pressure on the QB, but you cant say that your corner kept Sidney out of it.

spurrier worries me. south carolina personell does not. here's the thing. usc posters keep saying "david can't cover sidney man up; no one can." then a uga poster says, "we did it." the reply is: you harrassed our qb! that's not covering sidney! BUT IT IS.

What?? You cant say you stuck on a receiver if he never gets the ball, and thus the OPPORTUNITY for the corner to shut him down...a more accurate statement would be to say that your D-Line shut down our passing attack with constant pressure on the QB, but you cant say that your corner kept Sidney out of it.

Truth be known, I don't really care whether it is the corner shutting down a WR or the defense getting to the QB and preventing him from getting the ball to his WR. I just care that some combination of Auburn Tigers keep the Gamecocks from getting the ball. That's why it is a TEAM sport.

USC fan..............here's one thing Sidney and the "boyz" will have to contend with.

THE MASSIVE HITS!

See the ball, catch the ball.........FEEL THE HITS!

Blake actually did have time on several passes and never got the opportunity to hit Rice due to Oliver and company keeping a good eye on him.

Rice is a very good WR but he is far from unstoppable with the right D

Blake actually did have time on several passes and never got the opportunity to hit Rice due to Oliver and company keeping a good eye on him.

Rice is a very good WR but he is far from unstoppable with the right D

Exactly, he was not single covered. There is no reason to keep arguing this though, especially on an Auburn board, the game is over. Good luck the rest of the season.

Archived