Auburn getting left out again?

Obike

... The key to the season is the following:

Auburn needs to play an UNDEFEATED FLORIDA team. UF must be undefeated going into October 14th to get the publicity of a top 5 vs top 5 team out there. If Auburn can defeat that undefeated Florida team CONVINCINGLY - that is Auburn's best shot at jumping USC - it is the only way. A close win against UF (like it was for LSU) will be a great victory, but it needs to be a convincing victory like OSU had over Texas.

Well why don't you just over react? Your "key to the season" hypothesis is going to take a big hit if:

(1) UF loses before they play AU,

(2) AU loses before they play UF,

(3) AU wins by 1 point, or

(4) OSU or SC steps on a conference landmine.

Who says we want the #2 position in the polls? Isn't the #1 position the better one to be in?

OGAAT WDE :au:

Well I think 1 and 2 and 3 were already made clear. If you didn't assume that AU needs to win out or that "undefeated UF" means they can't lose to LSU (which they prolly will) and winning convincingly > 1 pt margin of victory.

THe point to this comment I made was that AU needs an OSU moment. OSU played Texas - it was the highlight game. Yes AU played LSU, but no one really talked about either before they played. It was so early in the season and neither team played anyone worth noted.

Come Oct 14th: AU has defeated LSU to show they can win big. If UF beats LSU - that shows they can win big (yes I know they already beat UTK). It would be an epic showdown that would have EVERYONE saying "wow look at these 2 teams" like they looked at OSU-Texas. I realize it wouldn't be #1 vs #2, but it would still draw almost as big of a "this is the game of the year to watch" kind of thing. Both teams would be in the spotlight and a convincing victory by either team will have all Analysts saying "(winning team here) showed they deserve to play for the National Championship if they win out. This performance by (winning team here) was an eye opener and made a believer out of me."

Because of the fact that USC doesn't play a big game that weekend, a convincing victory by Auburn could leap them over USC in a lot of voters minds. That could carry to the end of the season and if Auburn continues beating UGA and UAT - they may have a like a 20 vote lead on the trojans. USC then plays ND and everyone knows ND is not a great team and an avg victory probably would not be enough to push them over Auburn. Now if USC defeats ND by 30, then that is another story - but I don't see that happening.

Again, this all assumes UF is undefeated going into our game, but I don't see them being undefeated. But that is what Auburn needs. I'm rooting for Florida over LSU. It also wouldn't hurt if Texas lost another game because Auburn would have played the "hardest game" (LSU/Florida will be ranked ahead of Texas and ND at the end of the season if Texas loses)

As it stands, we have to beat everybody. So let's stop worrying about how the national media is going to screw us, and instead concentrate on putting the wood to our opponents.

Thank you for being a voice of reason.

The majority of you, for crap's sake, need to take a Valium or something. Go pull your pud, kick your pet ferret, anything is more productive than worrying about a damn poll when there's a minimum of 8 weeks left in the season.

If AU has the good fortune to go 14-0 this year, then that'd be enough for me. You can't do any better than winning every game you play.

We need a Poll Forum
I agree. People would be banished to it when they couldn't talk about anything else. We also need a "Bad Calls By The Officials" Forum.

A-fuggin'-men.

All I have to say is ANYONE... that at ANY point in the season in 2004 or 2006 that said "don't worry about the polls" early in the season - has no right to EVER... EVER... say anything bad about the polls... EVER. Anyone who says "don't worry about the polls" now that changes their mind later in the season is a two-face. You must stick with your opinion at all times - through good times and bad.

I seldom look at the polls before Mid-October. Let some games be played first to see where teams stack up. We have no control about who or how people vote of how a da#n computer is programmed. we can bi#%h and moan all we want, to no avail.

Right now, polls don't mean sh#t until after the Florida game (assuming we win at usc and beat fla). After that, people will start to take notice. All we can control is what we do on the field. 14-0 is a long way off - 10 games to be exact. Take one game at a time. The best we can hope for is Florida being undefeated when we play them, then Georgia being undefeated when we play them. This will put us in the seccg against a top 7 or so Georgia team that we have already beat. With that win, we will have beaten 4 top 6-7 rated teams and be undefeated. No one else can claim that kind of schedule.

Now, does all this seem rather hypothetical? Sure as he11 does. Mostly a dream. Why worry about tomorrow when we haven't taken care of today.

Guest Tigrinum Major

All I have to say is ANYONE... that at ANY point in the season in 2004 or 2006 that said "don't worry about the polls" early in the season - has no right to EVER... EVER... say anything bad about the polls... EVER. Anyone who says "don't worry about the polls" now that changes their mind later in the season is a two-face. You must stick with your opinion at all times - through good times and bad.

Last time I checked, you didn't make the rules here, at Auburn University or any locale outside of the walls of your apartment at Eagles West or whatever roach infested complex you live in when you aren't recruiting students for Auburn.

I'll say this about the whole poll thing. If you are worried about it at any point before the end result, you are misplacing your angst and failing to enjoy the accomplishments of a fine football team. I worried myself sick during the latter stages of the 2004 football season and I wish now that I had not. It robbed me of some of the pleasure of beating Georgia and Alabama. No, we did not win, excuse me, "get awarded" a national championship by any legitimate source, but we got to enjoy a phenomenal season by an exceptional group of football players. I hate that we have to listen to fans of other schools say ignorant things like, "Our school never would have been left out of the BCS Championship Game if we had been in your shoes." Guess what, yes, they would have.

The system sucks, of that I have no doubt. But I am not worried about it. You, along with a few select others, are giving Monk a run for his money with your manic obsessive behavior (yes, I know that is not a true malady.) Please refrain in the future from telling other people what they can and cannot complain and how they may or may not form their opinion. If someone is convinced that Tuberville is the wrong guy for the job, but changes their mind later, which is more valid? By your distorted and twisted logic, only the first opinion matters. It used to be my opinion that we made the correct decision to invade Iraq. Now? Not so sure. Which opinion is more valid?

You claim that if we knew you, we wouldn't believe that the online persona and the real person were the same and that your only crime is that you made an unfortunate comment about the changes to Tiger Walk. Not true. You have been known to rail against players, claiming that a certain QB was the worst thing to ever happen to Auburn football. Still hold that opinion? In fact, I believe that you were so outspoken that you received a short vacation for violation of the board rules. I have a feeling that your true persona is very similar to your on line persona, that of a know-it-all blowhard that attempts desperately to fit in a group while at the same time pontificating to such a degree on a variety of subjects that you know very little about that you end up alienating yourself. I know your kind and I don't care for them.

So, the next time you feel compelled to lay down the law on what people may of may not believe and/or have opinions on, please take it to your Legal and Social Environment of Business study group and spare us.

USC and or Ohio St. will lose a game

I agree, and it can't come soon enough. Even though I like what USC is all about, I am getting sick of them always being on top. They need an L oe two during the season!

First post here, by the way.

Welcome to the board and post often.

The thing that will really suck this year in regards to SC is that they really only play two tough games from here on in. One of those is against Notre Dame; therefore, if Notre Dame beats them, by default, they will move up to the #2 spot. Maybe Cali can put something together for the Troyans this year.

Although it is a bit early to be thinking about the final BCS rankings, the lessons of 2004 cannot be ignored. Winning the big games in a big way is a must. So the best scenario will be playing the top SEC teams while they are undefeated. So UF beats LSU then Georgia beats UF, without losing other games before we meet them. And that would be beating 3 top-7 or so teams. USC won't be able to say that. Ohio St. might be able to. Tough order, of course. It would be easier if Washington State beats USC and/or Iowa beats Ohio State this weekend and drastically reduce our stress level.

Let's say that doesn't happen. USC wins out, and we are left with the Ohio State/Michigan game. My fear is that Ohio State loses like they need to, and Michigan jumps us. You are already hearing the ESPN talking heads putting Michigan up there. They have their favorites, and we are not among them. We have at least two games coming up on ESPN in the other USC and UF. For now, those are our best opportunities to make statements. They might not give us much air time when we are on CBS, but they will need to when we are on their channel.

I don't know if improving SOS by way of hoping the teams we beat do well will be enough to help the 1/3 weight of the computer polls. So changing the voting coaches minds and the Harris members are all that's left. I don't like our chances without winning those big games by more than a TD.

Please refrain in the future from telling other people what they can and cannot complain and how they may or may not form their opinion. If someone is convinced that Tuberville is the wrong guy for the job, but changes their mind later, which is more valid? By your distorted and twisted logic, only the first opinion matters. It used to be my opinion that we made the correct decision to invade Iraq. Now? Not so sure. Which opinion is more valid?

You claim that if we knew you, we wouldn't believe that the online persona and the real person were the same and that your only crime is that you made an unfortunate comment about the changes to Tiger Walk. Not true. You have been known to rail against players, claiming that a certain QB was the worst thing to ever happen to Auburn football. Still hold that opinion? In fact, I believe that you were so outspoken that you received a short vacation for violation of the board rules. I have a feeling that your true persona is very similar to your on line persona, that of a know-it-all blowhard that attempts desperately to fit in a group while at the same time pontificating to such a degree on a variety of subjects that you know very little about that you end up alienating yourself. I know your kind and I don't care for them.

So, the next time you feel compelled to lay down the law on what people may of may not believe and/or have opinions on, please take it to your Legal and Social Environment of Business study group and spare us.

91729433_8b0420c6da_m.jpg

Look, just because he's said things in the past you disagree with, doesn't mean he can never offer a valid opinion ever. That's the type of attitude that has ruined politics.

You are just as guilty of indoctrinating your opinion to everyone else that we shouldn't worry about the polls until December.

I happen to disagree with you. I happen to be of the opinion that we, as fans, should be voicing our concerns about the injustice our team is facing. No one else is obviously going to stand up for us. The one game at a time thing is great. I sincerely hope the team and coaches are strictly living by this motto. However, no matter how superstitious you may be, we have no control over these things. We DO have a voice that I feel should use to berrate ESPN and any other form of media that refuses to show us respect.

This is my opinion. By your own logic, it doesn't make it any more or less correct than yours.

:rant:

stop this calamity! We still have a long season to go. Lets worry about this later. I realize that this can and probably will be an issue for some SEC team this year but lets just hope the system works itself out. That is all we can do right now.

I 100% guarantee you either Michigan or Ohio State will lose a game in regular season :)

same can be said about :au: and :uf:

I am also VERY confident that ND will have another loss this season or USC will lose 1. :)

Wow...

btw, I never complained about the polls and I still am not complaining about the polls. So don't get me mixed up with some of the people on here that are like "Auburn is getting screwed by the polls" cuz I never said that. In 2004 I never worried about not going to Miami and I enjoyed the 13-0 season - cuz I realized it was something I couldn't control and it was just the way things were. I Laughed my ass off when OU got killed by USC, when my father just wondered why since it would mean no NC for Auburn.

And I never said I made the rules - it's called hipocracy. It'd basically be saying "well geez Scott you need to vote, it is very American" and then not voting yourself.

I hate it when people give the "don't worry it'll all work itself out later" routine and then later be like "what kinda bull is this? we're getting screwed - why aren't we ranked higher? we are more deserving" and then keep on crying about it over and over again.

I'm not bitching about anything - the polls are the way they are. I don't care. Auburn is gonna just keep kicking ass anyways. But I don't want to hear anyone complain about the polls at the end of the season if you think it'll "work itself out"

Guest Tigrinum Major

Look, just because he's said things in the past you disagree with, doesn't mean he can never offer a valid opinion ever. That's the type of attitude that has ruined politics.

You are just as guilty of indoctrinating your opinion to everyone else that we shouldn't worry about the polls until December.

I happen to disagree with you. I happen to be of the opinion that we, as fans, should be voicing our concerns about the injustice our team is facing. No one else is obviously going to stand up for us. The one game at a time thing is great. I sincerely hope the team and coaches are strictly living by this motto. However, no matter how superstitious you may be, we have no control over these things. We DO have a voice that I feel should use to berrate ESPN and any other form of media that refuses to show us respect.

This is my opinion. By your own logic, it doesn't make it any more or less correct than yours.

Go right ahead, fret away. Get old before your time. Feel free, if it makes you feel important. I never said not to worry about the polls, I just said I thought it was silly and misplaced. You have every right to your opinion. I am not going to worry about the polls in December, January or February. I have no control over the system, and as much as you seem to believe that you do, I have bad news for you. But write all those emails and post those injustices such as the Fox Poll (which means ABSOLUTELY nothing) that was messed up. I used up all my angst in 2004 and I vowed never to do it again.

As far as my rant against PChamp, my point there wasn't his opinion, it was his meglomanical stance that if you have one opinion now, you can't change it later. That is just assinine. Read it again.

As far as superstition, I have none.

So, in conclusion, go ahead, berate ESPN and any other form of media that refuses to show us respect. People usually react so favorably to a good berating.

Godspeed.

too bad the GAME at hand doesn't get as much concern as the polls.

Everyone acts like we have won all the games

Auburns biggest weakness right now is mental.

South Carolina will take care of the poll questions, win or lose.

Archived