Auburn getting left out again?

Obike

Looks like the loveliest village on the plains is getting screwed again. This year may get another split national championship if the BCS keeps screwing us and the AP keeps swinging our way.

Auburn trails USC in first Harris Poll of 2006

ESPN Insider by Brad Edwards

The first Harris Poll of 2006 was released with little fanfare on Sunday evening, although the fans of a couple of teams are sure to find it quite interesting.

The Harris Poll, which replaced the AP poll in the BCS formula last season, has Ohio State ranked first, USC second and Auburn third. This mirrors the order of the top three in the coaches' poll, which is the only other set of human rankings used by the BCS.

This is quite significant because it means USC is currently the No. 2 team in the nation where it really counts, even though almost every media outlet in the country will label Auburn as No. 2 this week because of its place in the AP poll. Needless to say, this won't go over well on the plains of Alabama. Remember that Auburn went undefeated in 2004 but finished third in the polls behind USC and Oklahoma at the end of the regular season, forcing the Tigers to watch those teams play for the national title.

Ohio State, USC and Auburn all have schedules that make an undefeated season a strong possibility, so the battle for the top two spots in the BCS could become quite intense and controversial in the coming weeks.

Ohio State has only one game remaining against a ranked team (Saturday at No. 13 Iowa) between now and home date with No. 6 Michigan on Nov. 18. USC has three games remaining against ranked teams (Oregon, Cal and Notre Dame), but all are at home. Auburn has two games left against the Top 25 (Florida and Georgia) -- both at home. The Harris and coaches' polls each account for one-third of a team's BCS average. The other one-third is determined by rankings in six computers. Four of the six computers are already releasing their ratings, and USC is ranked ahead of Auburn in all four.

Maybe... maybe not. Ohio State definately isn't being bumped out of the #1 spot unless they just flat-out flop, USC _MAY_ lose out but it is doubtful... Auburn has a tough schedule not to mention that there is the SEC championship. So besides one team losing out, what will it take to sway voters? Perhaps a dominant victory against Florida and/or Georgia? Or is there not even a chance?

It could also be that I'm just a media whore when it comes to Auburn, and can't help but read anything relating to our team.

Everytime someone brings stuff like this up, the "Just win now, don't worry about the polls until December" comments come pouring in.

That type of complacency is what screwed us in 2004. We have to make our voices heard now.

I know you guys are superstitious, but "That's all we have control over" does not apply to you and me (members of this forum). That applies to the team, and to Tuberville. Us as fans, have much less control over whether or not we "take it one game at a time" and win games, than we do to make it known that we won't stand for this injustice.

Everytime someone brings stuff like this up, the "Just win now, don't worry about the polls until December" comments come pouring in.

That type of complacency is what screwed us in 2004. We have to make our voices heard now.

I don't think there's a parallel between 2004 and today. In 2004 at this point, we had not even cracked the Top 10. As it is, you can slide a piece of paper between us and USC in the vote count in the Harris Poll. Personally, I think we should take care of business and beat the snot out of whomever we can at this point. That is all we can do.

On to something that is more important at this moment, Obike what the heck is that in your avatar? Camel? llama?

Definately a llama, good call.

Honestly, I never really followed football until I came to Auburn in '02. Ever since I came here I've been absorbing information left and right. While there is less than a piece of paper between USC and us in the points, there's definately gotta be some give before we can get into #2. So what do you think it will be?

By the way, I'm not going for an apocalyptic point of view... just relaying what ESPN Insider spams me with. And their talk shows have been spouting this for two weeks now.

Auburn can't get left out, we were ranked high in the preseason rankings! This was the only reason we were left out in 2004!

Oops... too many people believed ESPN's BCS propaganda, blaming the preseason polls instead of the system.

I almost wish we'd lose so this topic would die.

Almost, I said.

If something bad now happens TigMaj we know who sent to bad mojo.

Some of you on this board... are so dumb it is ridiculous. Otterinbham - I mean wow... Auburn was well ranked in the top 10, but that is not where I am going with this.

AUChizad is the only one that seems to have it right.

Everyone on this board and in the nation wanted to say "If Auburn was higher in the preseason rankings they would be in." BULLSH*T you guys. I tried saying this for the last two years - that means NOTHING. You need to be in the top 2 in the preseason to stay there. If Auburn were #3 in 2004 to start the season, they would've ended up #3. They would not have jumped OU or USC. Get that through your minds. Once you realize that when you are behind and that you can't catch up, the easier it'll be to settle in your minds come December. It'll happen again - Auburn will not jump USC or OSU in the polls, get that through your mind. The only way it might change is if AU wins on the avg of like 50 for every game they play and USC and OSU win close games.

The key to the season is the following:

Auburn needs to play an UNDEFEATED FLORIDA team. UF must be undefeated going into October 14th to get the publicity of a top 5 vs top 5 team out there. If Auburn can defeat that undefeated Florida team CONVINCINGLY - that is Auburn's best shot at jumping USC - it is the only way. A close win against UF (like it was for LSU) will be a great victory, but it needs to be a convincing victory like OSU had over Texas.

On to something that is more important at this moment, Obike what the heck is that in your avatar? Camel? llama?

Definately a llama, good call.

Honestly, I never really followed football until I came to Auburn in '02. Ever since I came here I've been absorbing information left and right. While there is less than a piece of paper between USC and us in the points, there's definately gotta be some give before we can get into #2. So what do you think it will be?

By the way, I'm not going for an apocalyptic point of view... just relaying what ESPN Insider spams me with. And their talk shows have been spouting this for two weeks now.

Not I nor anyone else here happens to get a vote in the polls well at least that I know of. All I heard from ESPN in 2004 was if Auburn does this they should be #2, when we did that it was something else we had to do in order to reach number 2. After we demolished UGA we should be number 2 and guess what? nope it didn’t happen. So why am I not surprised that ESPN has no respect for Auburn. I am all for getting vocal when its needed but we are just in week 5 not even half way with UF, UGA, USC, Arky, Bama all sitting in front of us. While I think we can win out I am a little skeptical about even hearing praise from espn. They get the teams they want in period if Auburn is not the one THEY want in they will continue to talk us down. Unfortunately pollster follow like blind sheep, which is the sole reason we are behind USC. If they went on games played they are going to have to come up with a game USC has played and won this season against a team better than or at least equal to LSU which would warrant a higher ranking since they can't do that they make up reasons each week. While I am pissed off to no end about it outside of taping a 50,000 volt shock collar around those clowns at ESPN necks and making them show a little respect, all AUBURN can do is keep winning.

Auburn needs to play an UNDEFEATED FLORIDA team. UF must be undefeated going into October 14th to get the publicity of a top 5 vs top 5 team out there. If Auburn can defeat that undefeated Florida team CONVINCINGLY - that is Auburn's best shot at jumping USC - it is the only way. A close win against UF (like it was for LSU) will be a great victory, but it needs to be a convincing victory like OSU had over Texas.

I didn't start getting nervous until we the monster #3 vs. #6 AU-LSU game not only did not solidify our #2 spot, but USC's completely unimpressive win against a Nebraska that is completely overrated as well, all but bumped them ahead of us.

I actually foolishly had enough faith in the BCS to think that that game would pretty much solidify us at #2, and then we'd have to worry about slipping with wins that are less impressive than that brutal meeting.

I wasn't worried two weeks ago. Now is the time to start worrying, people. Not in December when it's too late.

USC and or Ohio St. will lose a game

Yes, they will. OSU has a much tougher schedule that Cupcake Carroll does. USC only has to play Notre Dame, and Notre Dame doesn't even have to win that game and they will go to a BCS bowl by contract.

2004 was all about where you started in the polls and you move up if you stay undefeated...drop if you lose. 2006 is under new management, and the new buzz word is "style points." I don't know WHY, I just know this is what is going on.

... The key to the season is the following:

Well why don't you just over react? Your "key to the season" hypothesis is going to take a big hit if:

(1) UF loses before they play AU,

(2) AU loses before they play UF,

(3) AU wins by 1 point, or

(4) OSU or SC steps on a conference landmine.

Who says we want the #2 position in the polls? Isn't the #1 position the better one to be in?

OGAAT WDE :au:

USC and or Ohio St. will lose a game

I agree, and it can't come soon enough. Even though I like what USC is all about, I am getting sick of them always being on top. They need an L oe two during the season!

First post here, by the way.

Some of you on this board... are so dumb it is ridiculous. Otterinbham - I mean wow... Auburn was well ranked in the top 10, but that is not where I am going with this.

Everyone on this board and in the nation wanted to say "If Auburn was higher in the preseason rankings they would be in." BULLSH*T you guys. I tried saying this for the last two years - that means NOTHING. You need to be in the top 2 in the preseason to stay there. If Auburn were #3 in 2004 to start the season, they would've ended up #3. They would not have jumped OU or USC. Get that through your minds. Once you realize that when you are behind and that you can't catch up, the easier it'll be to settle in your minds come December. It'll happen again - Auburn will not jump USC or OSU in the polls, get that through your mind. The only way it might change is if AU wins on the avg of like 50 for every game they play and USC and OSU win close games.

Oh, PChamp, quit being such a tool. Or a paranoid. Or both.

Auburn started the season at 17 or 18.

It wasn't until late October that people started figuring us into the national title talks in 2004.

As it stands, we have to beat everybody. So let's stop worrying about how the national media is going to screw us, and instead concentrate on putting the wood to our opponents.

Oh, it is going to get ugly with teh BCS this year.....

Remaining schedules:

OHIO STATE

@ Iowa #13

Bowling Green

@ Michigan St

Indiana

Minnesota

Illinois

northwestern

Michigan #6

USC

@ Washington St

Washington

Arizona St

@ Oregon St

@ Stanford

Oregon #14

California #20

Notre Dame #12

@ UCLA

WVU

@ Miss St

Syracuse

@ Conn.

@ Louisville #8

Cincinnati

@ Pitt

South florida

Rutgers #23

MICHIGAN

@ Minnesota

Michigan St

@ Penn St

Iowa #13

Northwestern

Ball St

@ Indiana

@ Ohio St #1

TEXAS

Sam Houston St

@ Oklahoma #16

Baylor

@ Nebraska #21

@ Texas Tech

Oklahoma St

@ Kansas St

Texas A&M

AUBURN

@ South Carolina

Arkansas

Florida #5

Tulane

Ole Miss

Arky St

Georgia #10

Alabama

FLORIDA

Alabama

LSU #9

@ Auburn #2

Georgia #10

@ Vandy

South Carolina

Western Carolina

@ FSU #19

Who has the easiest road ahead?? For sure not the Gators. I think WVU, but I still think they will lose one, probably L'ville b/c their D is still not great. Who knows how many, if any, will be undefeated at the end of the year??? I hope there are several just to put the BCS in orbit again, as long as IF we are fortunate to finish out in that pile we get to the MNC game. :big: What has ticked me off more than anything is the ESPN talking heads now talking about how Michigan has jumped up in their polls after two years ago they wouldn't jump us over OU or USC b/c if the higher ranked teams are winning how can a team behind them jump them unless they get beat. NOW all of the sudden they have changed their tune on that apparenlty by doing that exact thing!!!

59, man, those guys, the media, controls college football. Not the outcome of games, at least I don't think so, but they certainly control the polls!! They apply the spin they want to every gameday, talk up only who they want to talk up, essentially forging how folks vote. Then some of the coaches who vote don't take it seriously enough.

:rant:

Guest Tigrinum Major

We need a Poll Forum :)

I agree. People would be banished to it when they couldn't talk about anything else. We also need a "Bad Calls By The Officials" Forum.

If something bad now happens TigMaj we know who sent to bad mojo.

If a stupid, tongue in cheek comment is blamed if and when we lose a game, well, thst is almost as lame as referee smack.

By the way, I understood your comment was also tongue in cheek. See, people, lack of an emoticon does not translate to lack of sarcasm.

pcchamp119 is right. AU will have to demolish an undefeated top ranked UF team and have others lose to move up. I guarantee if AU did smash UF but everone else wins they will not move us up. They will not talk about AU like they have been Michigan the past 2 weeks. It is not going to happen.

I think the Big 10 has enough decent teams that OSU or Michigan could possibly get beat. Michigan St will beat one of them, if they get better coaching than in that ND game. (side note: You are MSU you have the ball up 37-33 with 3 minutes, Why do throw the ball? Run out the clock!!) I don't know about the PAC 10. I haven't seen enough of their games to tell. I guess WSU could upset USC, that would be perfect, the tema we trouunched beats the mighty condoms (just for jenny)!! I think WVU porous D will cost them a game against someone. I am sure the L'ville game will be another shootout, but I think L'ville has a little better D this year. They could go undefeated!! WVU and L'ville both have to play Rutgers, who are no pushover!!

Oh, PChamp, quit being such a tool. Or a paranoid. Or both.

Auburn started the season at 17 or 18.

It wasn't until late October that people started figuring us into the national title talks in 2004.

As it stands, we have to beat everybody. So let's stop worrying about how the national media is going to screw us, and instead concentrate on putting the wood to our opponents.

He makes very valid points. It will be almost impossible for Auburn to jump to #2.

Archived