Sophomore set to make blocking calls for AU O-line

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha....xml&coll=2

Sophomore set to make blocking calls for AU O-line

Monday, October 02, 2006

CHARLES GOLDBERG

News staff writer

AUBURN - Ben Grubbs has played 42 games for the Auburn football team, but he's ready to turn over the reins of his offensive line to a sophomore who has appeared in just four games in his career.

Grubbs said Sunday he'll follow the lead of sophomore Jason Bosley, who will make his first start at center following a right knee sprain that has senior Joe Cope out of the lineup for at least four weeks.

Grubbs, a left guard who will be beside Bosley when the Tigers play host to Arkansas on Saturday, says he has "all the faith in the world" in the player who will make all the blocking calls for the offensive line.

"I just told him that he's the captain of the ship now," Grubbs said. "`You've got to tell us what to do. We're going to listen to you. If you see me do anything I'm not supposed to be doing, let me know. Get on me. You're the man. This is your show now.'"

Cope was injured in the second quarter of last Thursday's 24-17 win over South Carolina. He played through the pain, but has been ordered off the field. He'll have his knee examined again Tuesday, but coach Tommy Tuberville said he expects him to miss four-to-six weeks.

Bosley will be in a far different role than when he appeared in relief against Western Kentucky and Ball State last year, and Mississippi State and Buffalo this season. He practiced with the first team for almost two weeks when Cope was hurt in August, but had limited work with the first unit again until Sunday's practice.

The stakes will increase significantly for him when he sets the offensive line for the nation's No. 2-ranked team when it plays host to Arkansas and No. 5 Florida in consecutive games in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Bosley came out of Grissom High School in Huntsville as an offensive guard but was moved to center after he signed. Even he says he had "kind of flew under the radar a little bit" during his Auburn career.

"Not many people knew about me," he said.

That begin to change in fall practice in August.

"He grew up a little bit during that time, and I think he's ready to play," said offensive coordinator Al Borges. "He'll have a little growing pain here and there. But he's a pretty reliable kid - a smart kid."

The backup center last year was Jonathan Palmer, who started in place of the injured Cope against Alabama. Bosley figures fans thought that would happen this year, too.

"The coaches are confident in me. I trust the coaching," Bosley said.

That confidence will allow the coaches to keep the rest of the offensive line intact. Palmer and King Dunlap will remain at tackle.

Bosley will be flanked by seniors in Grubbs and Tim Duckworth.

"It's nice to have two seniors next to him, that's for sure," Borges said. "They can help him. Our center has to captain that offensive line - the quarterback of the offensive line. When you got guys next to him that are that experienced, it certainly helps."

Cope is the second offensive starter to go down. Tight end Cole Bennett hurt his knee against LSU and may be lost for the season. The Tigers have pressed on with Tommy Trott and Gabe McKenzie.

Grubbs has just shown what true team spirit is all about. He has also done something that may be very rare these days ...demonstrate real leadership. You can't be a good leader until you have become a good follower. His act may ultimately make a huge difference in how this team plays and how much success it enjoys. Kudos Ben !

I have to say I would rather have Cope but if the coaches and players feel that confident about him I do to. Also, it is nice to have another north alabamian getting to shine. I read something the other day saying Jeraurd Powers(I hope I spelled his name right) was going to take gilberts spot. Does anyone know if their is any truth to that? I think Powers has done a commendable job with his limited playing time.

Grubbs has just shown what true team spirit is all about. He has also done something that may be very rare these days ...demonstrate real leadership. You can't be a good leader until you have become a good follower. His act may ultimately make a huge difference in how this team plays and how much success it enjoys. Kudos Ben !

You got it. I'm getting that feeling again about these Tigers. You know that feeling.

Archived