Irons: This is about winning, not personal goals.

DKW 86

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...PORTS/610060346

AUBURN REPORT: McFadden serves as safety net for Arkansas frosh QB Mustain

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

AUBURN -- Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain isn't supposed to have a clue.

He's an 18-year-old playing in a conference loaded with sharp coordinators, fast defenders and dozens of NFL prospects. It's a worst-case scenario by coaching standards. The Razorbacks should be in serious trouble, yet they're 2-0 against Southeastern Conference teams.

Mustain's secret? Tailback Darren McFadden.

"To have a guy like that is a quarterback's best friend," Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said. "It's very important to be able to turn and hand the ball off to a guy like that. It helps everything."

Mustain's struggles have been both predictable and massive in scope. He played efficiently in games against Southern Cal and Utah State, but was completely confused by Alabama's scheming secondary.

The Razorbacks beat the Crimson Tide two weeks ago despite Mustain's trio of interceptions.

McFadden kept his team afloat, finally.

The sophomore rushed for 1,100 yards last season and was expected to emerge as one of the nation's top tailbacks. During a late-night scuffle in July, though, McFadden broke a toe while attempting to thwart a thief.

Surgery was required. McFadden missed a significant portion of preseason practice, though he finished with 124 yards against Alabama.

Many observers said that performance signaled McFadden's return.

He's not so sure.

"At this point, it's not 100 percent. I don't know if it will ever be 100 percent," McFadden said. "It's just something you get used to and don't even think about."

Opposing defenses don't have that luxury.

McFadden is a rare breed in that he's big by tailback standards (6-foot-2 and 205 pounds) but still has the moves of a smaller player. A high-school track phenomenon, McFadden and his acceleration are a constant problem for defenders.

"Even on film, he looks fast. It's something he has -- the speed," Auburn defensive end Quentin Groves said. "Anytime you win the 100 and the 200 in your state before you even get to college, you're fast. At 205 pounds, too."

Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said he's seen steady improvement from McFadden during the past three weeks. The Razorbacks were idle last weekend, which allowed McFadden a chance to continue with his rehabilitation.

Nutt was more enthusiastic about the extra practice time.

That, he said, is what McFadden needs most.

"I think he's having a much better feel for things, getting in the groove," Nutt said. "He's getting better with and without the ball, and that just comes with practice and playing. I haven't seen (McFadden's speed burst) just yet. We feel like it's getting there."

Show of solidarity: Sophomore center Jason Bosley, who will replace injured starter Joe Cope for at least the next four weeks, is earning positive reviews from teammates and coaches.

Saturday's game against Arkansas will represent Bosley's first career start.

"He knows what play to call. He knows what blocking assignment to call," guard Ben Grubbs said. "He's the captain of the ship now. I said: 'You're the man. This is your show now.'"

Cope and tight end Cole Bennett (broken right ankle) are the only Auburn players expected to miss the Arkansas game.

Man to man: Some national analysts are making Saturday's game into a personal thing between Auburn tailback Kenny Irons and his Arkansas counterpart, McFadden.

They are atop the SEC's individual-rushing chart.

"There are a lot of great backs out there. I don't see anybody who is the greatest back in the SEC," Irons said. "There aren't a lot of personal things going on. Whoever comes out with the win, that's all that matters to me. There will be two great backs out there and two great teams. I'm just looking for the win."

Itd be nice to see one of the Irons bros keeping the trash talk to a minimum for once.

Where in this statement:

"There are a lot of great backs out there. I don't see anybody who is the greatest back in the SEC," Irons said. "There aren't a lot of personal things going on. Whoever comes out with the win, that's all that matters to me. There will be two great backs out there and two great teams. I'm just looking for the win."

do you find anything resembling trash talk?

In fact, he states that there is no "greatest back in the SEC". It's anti-trash talk if anything.

Itd be nice to see one of the Irons bros keeping the trash talk to a minimum for once.

I am convinced that the BamaGrad that posted in the preseason, who was at times rational and somewhat almost-kind-of objective has either been abducted and replaced by Shanehead, or the Kool Aid has finally taken its full effect.

"Rolling FIVE deep" indeed! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Yo' bg. Taken that BET yet? :lol::poke:

Where in this statement:

In fact, he states that there is no "greatest back in the SEC". It's anti-trash talk if anything.

I was saying that he ISNT talking smack for once. And thats refreshing.

Reading things like "that guy couldnt stop me...he needs to hit the weightroom more" is not exactly the classiest thing ive ever heard.

And watching David Irons celebrate after every tackle (even tackles that arent solo) like he just won the superbowl gets old.

Ok, whatever you say.

Reading things like "that guy couldnt stop me...he needs to hit the weightroom more" is not exactly the classiest thing ive ever heard.

And Juwan Simpson pounding his chest and making the throat-slashing gesture after the game-winning INT against Vandy was pure class. Let's not mention Johns' head-butting incident against Florida just last week. C'mon BG, this is a 2 way street.

As opposed to "Throat-slash" Simpson or "Head-butt" Johns?

Awesome unbiased observation, there, holmes.

Where in this statement:

Then your English sucks, because your post, quoted above, says the exact opposite.

And watching David Irons Kenneth Darby celebrate with a shoulder shake, head bob and smack talk to the defender after every tackleone-yard run like he just won the superbowl gets old.

There, BG. I fixed the log in your eye.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...PORTS/610060346

AUBURN REPORT: McFadden serves as safety net for Arkansas frosh QB Mustain

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

AUBURN -- Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain isn't supposed to have a clue.

He's an 18-year-old playing in a conference loaded with sharp coordinators, fast defenders and dozens of NFL prospects. It's a worst-case scenario by coaching standards. The Razorbacks should be in serious trouble, yet they're 2-0 against Southeastern Conference teams.

Mustain's secret? Tailback Darren McFadden. Playing Vandy and Bama ....

Fixed that one for Mr. Tate ^^^

Yeah because Darby has a reputation for that....whatever.

You guys gonna sit here and tell me that the Irons boys arent smack talkers? You think the weight room comment was classy?

Ive heard plenty of AU fans comment on how theyd rather David Irons tone it down with his celebrations. Ive never heard anything like that said about Darby.

You guys gonna sit here and tell me that the Irons boys arent smack talkers? You think the weight room comment was classy?

Ive heard plenty of AU fans comment on how theyd rather David Irons tone it down with his celebrations. Ive never heard anything like that said about Darby.

I'd rather Darby tone down all the gyrations, the head-bobbing mouth running after every play, the getting up and throwing a shoulder at whoever tackles him. I don't care for the way he acts.

There. Now you've heard it.

Okay, so the Irons boys have a "reputation" for being pumped up and always in the game. Yes, you're correct. We should stop that IMMEDIATELY. :rolleyes:

Give me a freakin' break. Do you think for a second that the guys that don't show out after a tackle and give the shoulder shake aren't talking smack just as much? If so, you're dead wrong. So the Irons boys are a little flashy.....big f'n deal. Get over it. Because that's the only thing you can do about it. I'd prefer them to be pumped all the time.

Of course I know they talk trash. Who doesn't.

Now, where in this statement:

Do you see Kenny talking trash? You must see it somewhere, because you're reply was this:

And when called out on it, you come up with this little gem:

It looks to me like a typical knee-jerk reaction. Of course, when your own RB proclaims himself the best in the SEC before the start of the season, he was just 'showing confidence' and we should all just nod in agreement. Good thing we have numbers that actually back these things up.

The Irons guys talk smack. Okay, you've got them pegged. Now, beat that strawman to death, why don't you.

I don't think the weight room comment was classy. I DO think it was jawwing between a great back and former teammates, who probably were talking trash to him the whole game. It doesn't justify printing it in the newspaper, but it doesn't sound like pure undeserved trash talk either. I'd rate it a 4/10 on the offensiveness scale.

David Irons celebrates, just like all DBs who get a chance to lay out a RB or QB. I have no problem with it as long as he can back it up.

You clearly thought Kenny was trash talking in the above mentioned article. Then you backpedalled to cover your a**, when you realized that he wasn't talking smack. Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder.

Look I am not a huge fan of trash talk BUT when KI got off that bus in BR last year and said he was going to get 200 I about s*it myself and then you know what HE DID IT. If you can back it up you can talk it. Remeber Jason Allen talkin smack well he couldn't back it up and we proved it. It's just talk and it's them trying to get into the other guys head.

Nobody talked more smack to the media in the preseason than Darby and Ramzee Robinson. That was all you heard out of media days.

The big difference in these two and the Irons brothers, Kenny and David can back it up. By the way didn't ole Beano make the All Kotex team against UF last week.

And watching David Irons celebrate after every tackle (even tackles that arent solo) like he just won the superbowl gets old.

Nothing says "class" like a headbut to the face.

We STILL have not heard bg stake claim and ACCEPT the IB challenge that was made. Come on bg, LOST your NERVE?

You clearly thought Kenny was trash talking in the above mentioned article. Then you backpedalled to cover your a**, when you realized that he wasn't talking smack. Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder.

No I did not. I already said that i wasnt using this article as reference for him running his mouth. Now either you are calling me a liar or you are just talking out of your ass. But either way, id be cool if you didnt tell me what I am thinking.

id be cool if you didnt tell me what I am thinking.

Wait, wait... I'm good at this. Like Criss Angel good.

Okay, I want you to concentrate. Relax and concentrate. Yes, yes, I can see it now. You're thinking about a man. Someone you've got no confidence in. Someone who's betrayed you. His name. There's an "a" in it. And an "h". I'm getting a hawaiian vibe. Like dancing. Hula? Shula? Mike Shula? Oh wait... there's another word. It's got the letter "T" in it, right? Right. And there's an "I" real close to the "T". Hey! This is a family show. I can't say that....

Amazing. A thread is started solely about Kenny Irons' reference to this game being about team play and not individual stats. The first reply out of the box is "It'd be nice if Irons would keep his trash-talking yap shut once in a while..."

When called on it, BG says "I wasn't referring to THIS article but the Irons boys in general...don't tell me what I'm thinking"

You're right. How in the world could we be so dumb as to think you might be responding to the topic of this thread. Sorry. Our bad.

Archived