All in the cleats: Tailback Kenneth Darby

DKW 86

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p.../610060352/1002

All in the cleats: Tailback Kenneth Darby had his best performance of the season last week against Florida (rushing for 76 yards on 14 carries) after admitting for the first time this season a preseason hip injury had affected his running more than he originally thought. Darby also attributed his performance against the Gators to his decision to discard the new cleats each of the players received prior to the start of the 2006 season.

"I was wearing the cleats I wore last year," he said. "They're more like high-top cleats. The other guys wear low-top cleats. I'm not a low-top cleat guy."

His determination was evident in the second half as he returned to the hard-running style he had employed the last two seasons.

"I ran better and I was feeling better," he said. "I don't think I hesitated one time when I was getting the ball. I just ran as hard and as fast as I could when I saw the hole instead of me hesitating and waiting for another hole to open up."

2006 Season of the Alabama Crimson Tide Football Team: "The Year of the Cleats"

I can't wait to hear it... "If Darby would have worn his lucky cleats, we would have beaten Arkansas without question."

Nah, I don't care that much. He could have a point, but honestly, if you can't figure out that your cleats aren't working for you before now, then obviously there are other problems.

Darby has struck me as someone who doesn't care very much this year. For whatever reason he just doesn't look very happy out there when I've seen him. Trust me I don't care one bit, but if I was coaching, I'd have his butt on the bench and that Jimmy Johns guy playing regardless of Darby's past and talent. At least he seems to want to play and doesn't get mad and trash talk when people tackle him almost every play.

2006 Season of the Alabama Crimson Tide Football Team: "The Year of the Cleats"

I can't wait to hear it... "If Darby would have worn his lucky cleats, we would have beaten Arkansas without question."

Nah, I don't care that much. He could have a point, but honestly, if you can't figure out that your cleats aren't working for you before now, then obviously there are other problems.

I think its bs!!!!!!!!! Cleats are why he has had a bad year so far that is so funny!!!!!!

Wasn't Jimmy Johns the guy who head butted the UF player last week?

just...pointing that out

Yep, sure was.

In Darby's defense, he has had alot on his mind with his dad being ill. Sometimes you need to focus on something else to get your head straight. Sometimes it is something that may seem silly to others. Sounds like the "cleats" thing was just Darby's way of trying to refocus. He can't change his dad's conditions, but he can change the cleats he is wearing, which makes him feel better and more confident.

Anybody that has ever been in a stressful, uncontrollable situatiton with family or anything else, knows that sometimes to get out of the funk or depression, you have to find something to change. That change kind of helps you focus on something else besides the issue that has you in a funk and it can "re-energize" you.

When I played I definitely had favorites that I stuck with. I am just saying. I wondered if we were going to have problems with the new UA Cleats.

When I played I definitely had favorites that I stuck with. I am just saying. I wondered if we were going to have problems with the new UA Cleats.

I did too. I preferred Saucony over Spot-bilt.

I did too. I preferred Saucony over Spot-bilt.

ditto. i even prefered to switch out the 'spikes' on my cleats. i used 3/4 in metal tipped ones for my old-style spot bilts, instead of those weak little 1/2 inchers that came with the shoes.

ranger is right. if that's what he needed to get rolling, more power to him. someone just needs to make sure they turn up missing in mid-november. :)

I don't know if it is me or anybody else has notice this, but this Bama team is all talk this year. After the last two games, all I have read is about how they should have done this and whatnot but no execution. I thought Darby had messed with his cleats during the Arky game, or I could be wrong. If Darby doesn't break a 100 against Duke, something is seriously wrong and no amount of cleat talk or hip pointer is going to get people to think otherwise.

Archived