MINI TRON

I spoke with some very nice Arky fans after the game. The only negative thing they had to say was that our "jumbo" tron was very small and they could not hardly tell what was going on. I told them that we just spent $23 mil on the stadium and did not add one seat what makes them think we were going to replace our mini-tron? I told them maybe by the time we played them again at JHS we would have both more seats and a bigger tron. Anyone know of any plans to do either?

Rumor has it that Auburn will have the endzone enclosed this off season. They are supposed to add 10,00 seats. Just a rumor. In my opinion, they should go ahead and add 20,000 more seats. I hope the rumor is true.

I spoke with some very nice Arky fans after the game. The only negative thing they had to say was that our "jumbo" tron was very small and they could not hardly tell what was going on. I told them that we just spent $23 mil on the stadium and did not add one seat what makes them think we were going to replace our mini-tron? I told them maybe by the time we played them again at JHS we would have both more seats and a bigger tron. Anyone know of any plans to do either?

One thing you need to know. Arky's Jumbotron is MASSIVE. It is the entire width of a football field, widescreen, and the only thing on that side of the stadium. (Their stadium is Horshoe shaped, with a "field house.")

Don't expect more seats any time soon, and the $23 Million was the budget for the THREE year upgrades. That included the two new sections in the upperdeck. Therefore, we DID add more seating within that budget.

Arkys jumbo is HUGE. Legend has it that people living over a mile away can see it clearly during a night game.

Ours is outdated, that's for sure, but hopefully a new one's coming. I haven't heard anything official from the university, but it may be soon. As far as seats, we done for now. There are other projects the university wants to complete before adding seats, so don't expect more anytime soon.

Rumor has it that Auburn will have the endzone enclosed this off season. They are supposed to add 10,00 seats. Just a rumor. In my opinion, they should go ahead and add 20,000 more seats. I hope the rumor is true.

:bs:

keyword rumor there - cuz that is definately not happening this offseason - not a chance.

We should be putting a new one up during the offseason. Its supposed to be as wide as the one is now with the ads, so it will be significantly bigger. However, UArk fans will still have to squint. They're spoiled. I was told this by someone who partially oversaw all the work done this year.

You should have told them that it would all be okay soon... That they play at Alabama next year where they have 3. ;)

According to an article I read in which Ralph "Peanut" Jordan (Shug's son) said that Auburn was more interested in improving parking and traffic flow on the campus on game day right now than expanding the stadium. He said that would come but did not indicate when. If we alumni want something else done, I would suggest writing to some of the trustees and voicing concerns and desires as well as the heads of the Alumni groups. Too many people I've spoken with feel that they are being priced out of the market where Auburn tickets are concerned. It has become a rich man's game at Auburn because so many tickets are given out to corporations and they are either given to clients who may not even have a tie to Auburn or they are "hawked" on the web at a significant profit. I think it's time for Auburn people to complain about this vehemently. JMO PS. I don't have a link to this because I simply typed in Ralph Shug Jordan on Google and found the article so delete it if you must.

We should be putting a new one up during the offseason. Its supposed to be as wide as the one is now with the ads, so it will be significantly bigger. However, UArk fans will still have to squint. They're spoiled. I was told this by someone who partially oversaw all the work done this year.

what 65 said is true. I have talked with someone in facilities at athletics. There will be a new "jumbotron" in the south endzone in off season. Stadium expansion is in the works for the north endzone, possibly adding about 8,000 to 10,000 seats depending on how it is constructed (i.e. additional rich folks booths). The expansion will span over the next 2 to 3 years.

Is Arkansas's jumbotron as big as the one at Texas stadium??

This is what we need to get:

prextra21053.jpg

We're used to a lot of companies calling their products the world's largest, smallest, first or most expensive, and most of the time, we're able to deflate the hype at least a little. But in the case of the newly unveiled display at Miami's Dolphin Stadium, we may just have to hand it to them: the 720p display is a whopping 137 feet wide by 50 feet high, making its diagonal dimensions 1,750 inches. So, when stadium officials boast that it's the world's largest HD display, we really don't think we can argue with them (though we do take issue with their removal of the "s" -- but that's another story). Sort of makes those 103-inchers we were just drooling over seem kind of tiny. Then again, we're not quite sure where we could put a 1,750-incher if we actually had a chance to get one for ourselves, so a 103 will do us just fine, thanks.

I was at the Miami / Texans Game eralier this year and can I just say...WOW!!! This thing is so friggin sweet, They did this one on the north side and there is a smaller (not by much) HD screen on the south side. Then they ran the ribbon boards around the entire stadium...the picture clarity on those ribbon boards are amazing as well. Come on Lowder...pony up!!!

what 65 said is true. I have talked with someone in facilities at athletics. There will be a new "jumbotron" in the south endzone in off season. Stadium expansion is in the works for the north endzone, possibly adding about 8,000 to 10,000 seats depending on how it is constructed (i.e. additional rich folks booths). The expansion will span over the next 2 to 3 years.

Is Arkansas's jumbotron as big as the one at Texas stadium??

This is what I hear as well. Not sure if it will happen this year, but don't think that we are sitting still on this.

I know that I will be the odd person out, but....

I think that JHS expansion can wait until the basketball team gets some new digs- BEMC is at the bottom of the SEC as far as facilities, while most of AU's other facilities are at or near the top....

[vent] The administration continues to TALK about doing something about b-ball, but has not really done squat in my eyes... Last spring I went to a meeting with basketball marketing guys and they told us that a firm decision about an building/renovating an arena would be released in July (It is now October!) :puke:

Basketball deserves better. [/vent]

I do agree that the JHS video screen (and production) is pretty bad, but at this point, all I would do is replace the current board with a HD screen of the same size.... Expansion is not needed just yet

I know that I will be the odd person out, but I think as long as the basketball team plays in dump that BEMC is, that JHS improvements/expansion can wait (the only thing I'd touch in JH would be the current video board; replace it with a HD board of the same size)

The administration continues to TALK about doing something about b-ball, but has not really done squat in my eyes... Last spring I went to a meeting with basketball marketing guys and they told us that a firm decision about an building/renovating an arena would be released in July (It is now October!) :puke:

Basketball deserves better.

Whats this "Basketball" that you speak of? I have never heard of it, you sound like a crazy person.

I think that JHS expansion can wait until the basketball team gets some new digs- BEMC is at the bottom of the SEC as far as facilities, while most of AU's other facilities are at or near the top....

[vent] The administration continues to TALK about doing something about b-ball, but has not really done squat in my eyes... Last spring I went to a meeting with basketball marketing guys and they told us that a firm decision about an building/renovating an arena would be released in July (It is now October!) :puke:

I do agree that the JHS video screen (and production) is pretty bad, but at this point, all I would do is replace the current board with a HD screen of the same size.... Expansion is not needed just yet

I actually agree. JHS is one of the nicest facilities in the nation. And we have debated ad nauseum (on this board and elsewhere) whether or not we even need to increase seating, since many AU games don't sell out at present.

Beard-Eaves is pretty bad, and I think we need to funnel some money that way before doing even more to JHS.

I actually agree. JHS is one of the nicest facilities in the nation. And we have debated ad nauseum (on this board and elsewhere) whether or not we even need to increase seating, since many AU games don't sell out at present.

Beard-Eaves is pretty bad, and I think we need to funnel some money that way before doing even more to JHS.

I think we would need to see an increase in the quality of play by the basketball team before the university does anything with Beard-Eaves.

I think we would need to see an increase in the quality of play by the basketball team before the university does anything with Beard-Eaves.

Joking aside...thats a slippery slope though because most people will tell you that the increase in quality comes from good recruits and we are not gonna get the big time recruits if you dont have the facilities....see slippery slope.

I can't wait. Just think of how clear the Verizon Wireless commercials will be.....ugh....

More football less ADS!

Oh, and if you got to the www.auburntigers.com website, at the top there's an ad for the Pontiac game changing play of the game....and look at there, it's the TD run by ARK against Auburn. Nice to see that playing on the official Auburn Website. I guess sometimes it truly is all about the money.

Using the logic of we should not improve anything for basketball until we start winning is silly. A new basketball arena is much more important right now than any more upgrades to Jorda-Hare, except for the jumbo-trons. A new arena will be used for much more than just basketball(graduation, gymnastics, concerts, special events). A new arena will significantly enhance the beauty of Auburn's campus. Getting rid of Beard-Eaves will significantly enhance the beauty of Auburn's campus. Better basketball facilities will attract good recruits and make going to a game more enjoyable. The parking lots surrounding Beard-Eaves are in dire need of repaving and sprucing up. You may not enjoy the game of basketball, but those boys and girls are part of the Auburn family and represent Auburn everyday juts like the football team. In my opinion, basketball has been neglected long enough.

I personally would love to see more improvements and an expansion to Jordan-Hare happen, but not at the expense of doing something significant for the basketball program and soon. A band-aid will not suffice this time. Aubunr needs either a gutted Beard-Eaves or a brand new arena. I vote for brand new.

What endzone will get the next addition? I was pondering this as I walked to class today. It seems easist to build it on the Petrie end which is parking lot with very few bells and whistles. If this is done then the nice new end of the stadium will be where the visiting locker rooms are and it would be down in a hole and behind a building(petrie). If you add to the other end you are on the home locker room/recruiting area end, which could be scrapped and redone like bama did, but that seems kind of wasteful(tearing down the bigger scoreboard, tigerwalk plaza, brand new recruiting facilities/lockerooms, etc jsut to buidl new stuff on the outside). Personally I think our Tiger Walk plaza and entrance on that end looks alittle puny now compared to UAT's. Maybe we should consider upgrading this even though we just built it. Where will it go? I definitely want the bball team to have a new arena before we put another dime into JHS. I love seeing new additions to the stadium as much or more than anyone, but bball is by far the most behind facilities wise at AU(which is part of the reason the team is mediocre at best). South Alabama has a much nicer facility than ours(probably nicer than bama's too). Check it out http://www.southalabama.edu/mitchellcenter/

Our Smartvision has been just about the only thing to be really proud of until this season. It's the largest in any sports venue in the United States - Pro or College. The video portion itself is 30' high and 110' long. When they bring a recruit into the stadium for the first time, they announce the kid on this thing, then play some of his high scholl highlights on it. The sound system is as impressive as the video. Great recruiting tool. Of late, it seems to have worked!

The first time they fired this thing up, the power draw shut down the radar and communications at nearby Fayetteville Airport. Modifications were made, of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:09-02-0...S-PigScreen.jpg

PigScreen

Archived