From the Horses Mouth

AUman43

King: 'I'll ... go where I feel comfortable'

By CARROLL ROGERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/17/06

Caleb King's high school career probably is over after the Greater Atlanta Christian star injured his right leg in Friday's victory over Avondale. He had an MRI exam Monday, and his prospects for a return do not look good, GAC coach Jimmy Chupp said. But that won't keep recruiters off the trail of the tailback, ranked No. 1 nationally at his position by Rivals.com.

King said last week he was still "wide open" when it comes to recruiting. He hadn't yet narrowed his choices to 10, much less which five schools he'll go to for official visits. In August, he said he was planning to visit at least Notre Dame and Southern Cal, but last week he said those two weren't definite.

King took time after a practice last week to play 20 questions with staff writer Carroll Rogers.

Q: How much time are you spending on the telephone with coaches?

A: I'd probably say 45 minutes. ... I usually get four or five calls a night.

Q: Has there been a head coach you were talking to and you thought, "I can't believe I'm talking to this guy?"

A: Coach [Charlie] Weis from Notre Dame. We didn't talk about football. We talked about life. He's a straight-forward person. We talked about grades and what I'm going to do after football.

Q: What about text messages? How many of those are you getting?

A: A lot. I erase my text messages every other day.

Q: How many does your phone hold?

A: 100.

Q: Is any of it getting old to you yet?

A: Not yet.

Q: What did it mean to have Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville at your game against Buford on Sept. 29?

A: For a head coach to come and watch me, that tells me how much they want me.

Q: Should we read anything into it? Is Auburn ahead of anybody right now?

A: No.

Q: How much of an influence is Brad Lester (the Auburn running back King got to know at Parkview)?

A: He tells me the ins and outs of the recruiting stage and what I need to do to prepare myself to be a good college running back.

Q: What kind of an influence is he as far as your college decision?

A: He's not telling me where to go or I need to come to Auburn. He just says, "Make the right choice."

Q: Who have you been hearing from, as far as people saying, "You should go here, you should go there?"

A: Everybody. Teachers, administrators, friends, my mom.

Q: Where does your mom want you to go?

A: (He laughs.)

Q: When it comes down to it, who will you listen to?

A: I'll probably just go where I feel comfortable, where I want to go.

Q: When will you decide on your five official visits?

A: I don't know. I haven't gone to all the places I want to [unofficially] yet. That's why I haven't narrowed it down. It's kind of hard to choose when you haven't been to the schools. I'm too busy to take time off and go to schools. I'm taking an SAT class.

Q: I know you've been to Georgia a couple of times. South Carolina. Auburn. Where else do you want to visit?

A: I'm going to try to go to a Florida game.

Q: Are you making a point to be methodical with your decision?

A: I'm just trying to take my time and find the right choice because I don't want to pick the wrong college and be stuck there for four years not being happy.

Q: What did it mean to you to make the U.S. Army All-American Bowl? (King was picked last week for the all-star game in San Antonio).

A: I felt blessed and honored. ... Watching it last year, it just seemed like a fun atmosphere to play in.

Q: Do you think you might commit when you're there, like some guys do?

A: I don't know. I might. I'm not sure.

Q: This past February you said you could see yourself making an announcement on ESPN on signing day, right?

A: That's still a choice I would take.

Q: What would make you do it in San Antonio?

A: If I know where I want to go.

Q: That tells me you honestly don't know.

A: I really don't know.

Looks like this should put to rest some of the rumors. :au:

An update on Georgia football recruiting

By JEFF D'ALESSIO

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/21/06

We asked Rivals.com analyst J.C. Shurburtt for the three biggest recruiting happenings involving Georgia this recruiting season.

His list, with three-plus months to go until national signing day:

1. The search for a running back continues. With the trio of Thomas Brown, Danny Ware and Kregg Lumpkin approaching graduation, running back was a key position of need. While the Bulldogs are still in pursuit of Greater Atlanta Christian's Caleb King, they trail Auburn. They also missed on Jonathan Dwyer of Kell High, who committed to Georgia Tech. California standout Malachi Lewis and Jacksonville?s Eric Baker are the two most likely potential signees.

Sounds Good! :cheer::au:

Archived