This is the kind of #### that burns me up

Bottomfeeder

This makes me proud to say I am NOT a republican.

Many of the workers were minors who were kept in barracks at night in what was described by our government as "labor camps." The workers were charged by recruiters thousands of dollars for "jobs in the U.S." Then they landed on an island 8,000 miles away. Doromal said the women had quotas that were impossible to reach within a normal workday and they wouldn't be paid for the overtime.

Pam Brown, former federal ombudsman for the Northern Marianas, recently told Moyers On America that workers there were forced to sign contracts agreeing that "if they got pregnant they'd have an abortion."

In the late 1990s, Congress almost put a stop to the worst abuses by forcing the Marianas to adopt U.S. minimum wage and immigration laws. A bill passed the Senate unanimously. But former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, whom Abramoff brought to the Marianas over the 1998 New Year, blocked the effort in the House.

DeLay was taped during that trip telling officials and business leaders: "You are a shining light for what is happening in the Republican Party and you represent everything good about what we're trying to do in America, in leading the world in the free market system."

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/10/29/Opinion/...made_in_t.shtml

Not a good thing. But low on the totem pole.

National security and the like are more pressing needs. We can all vote demoncrat and free the women on Siapan. And then have a multitude of terroristic acts begin to take place right her in the good ole USA. I think the dims saving these women are a little farther down my list of "things to do."

I'm sick of all this "fear and smear" crap from the repubics! HEY, democrats live in this country too and they are NOT complete idiots despite what the repubics say! The repubics have had power now for over 6 years and have made a total mess out of virtually everything. They have padded their pockets by having one of, if not the MOST corrupt administrations in history and used Karl Rove's method of smear and spin to win elections. I for one, am ready to take my chances with another administration. A one party system of power in this country is NOT GOOD no matter who it is. My only regret is that the democratic party seems to lack a genuine leader with charisma but Bush has proved that charisma will only get you so far. Then you need the Karl Rove's of the world. :puke:

Archived